Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Including a PDF of the DM Guide in my Module

[Deleted]
Marketplace Creator
I'm creating a module that, like the Master's Vault, will include a PDF version of the DM Guide. (It's basically a duplicate of all information in my Handouts, just in one file for the customer's convenience.) On the Item Management page, I used the Upload File button to include this DM Guide. (I'm guessing that's what that does?) I thought that might give me a link to use in my Start Here Handout, but I don't see one.  The Master's Vault has a link in the handout directly to that PDF content. How do I get that link?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A couple of questions. I am assuming you don't mean the Wizards of the Coast Dungeonmasters Guide , since there are no legal PDFs and posting info from it would be similarly illegal. Assuming you mean "Information for the Dungeonmaster" then you have a couple of options. Uploading a pdf to Roll20 results in an image of one page of the PDF. Not very useful, but it is an option. You can copy and paste text, and use the Handout tools to format it. This is what is essentially done by Roll20 in a module conversion, though the customer will usually supply the original text for cleaner copy. If the information is in the SRD, you can link to it with hotlinks. Clicking on the links will open that window of the Compendium for the players or GM. This is only advisable for SRD material, which is freely distributed. (You may want to consult a copyright lawyer if you intend to go further than this). Linking directly to the compendium version of a purchasable book like the DMG will also work for anyone who has purchased the DMG, but will only lead to a Marketplace page if they have not. It's been a long time since I looked at the Master's Vault, but if there is material in there that is proprietary to WotC, you can bet anything that it was done with express written permission.
[Deleted]
Marketplace Creator
No worries. It's all original content specifically for our module. After buying a few other modules in the marketplace today, we see how the PDF content is stored on the Amazon servers. We will simply update our Start Here handout once the file has been loaded to the server. Thank you for your assistance. :)
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
JimShelley said: No worries. It's all original content specifically for our module. After buying a few other modules in the marketplace today, we see how the PDF content is stored on the Amazon servers. We will simply update our Start Here handout once the file has been loaded to the server. Thank you for your assistance. :) I think there is also still a means to attach a single file to a marketplace product during the submission process so that a user can grab it from the Roll20 marketplace page after purchase. You can then have the handout direct to the product's marketplace page. Start the submission process which should create the product page, then link to it from the handout. Then finalize the submission.
[Deleted]
Marketplace Creator
Thank you. We found that section on the item page, so I believe we are good to go.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Brian. I had spaced the ability to attach a pdf file during submission. I've never needed to use it.