Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Every item in journal folders left the folders

I have 100s of handouts and NPC sheets organized in journal folders. I logged in just now, and every single item that was in a folder is no longer in the folder. All folders are empty, and all handouts, NPC sheets, character sheets are in the root folder.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Every once in a while, this pops up.  I'm not sure that a cause has been discovered so far, or at least I haven't seen a cause hinted.  Do you use any browser addons that interact with Roll20?  You should probably submit a request/ticket through the Help Center.  While I doubt there is anything they can do to return your folders to how they were before (because rollbacks haven't worked with this glitch as far as I can remember), if they can find any clues in your game, then maybe there will be a permanent fix or at least a clue towards what is causing this for the occasional person/game.
Thanks for the reply. I've submitted a request through the Help Center. I tried a rollback, but I guess because the Journal is stored outside of the game itself, the rollback didn't resolve the issue. I believe it might have been related to the transmogrifier, which I recently used to copy a couple of handouts over to a separate game. The issue emerged after using it. I know the transmog is still experimental, but I certainly wasn't aware it could ruin an entire game. Thankfully, I make manual backups (copies) of my games every now and then given issues I've had in the past. I lost a lot of work because of this, but at least I don't need to go back and manually sort 1000s of handouts/npcs into folders using the journal.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I guess I can't rule out the transmogrifier, but I use it  a lot, and haven't experienced this issue.
The reply I received from my support ticket was this: "Thanks for reaching out and we apologize for this inconvenience! Unfortunately, Roll20 has storage constraints. When a game reaches a certain size it becomes unstable and breaks. Rather than deleting all your content, the container it's in collapses, leaving the content intact but disorganized.    In order to prevent future breaks we recommend deleting unused handouts and perhaps breaking the game up into several other smaller games. You can use the Transmogrifier (which is a benefit of your Pro membership) to easily move Pages (including dynamic lighting), Characters, Decks, Handouts, Rollable tables, and Jukebox playlists over to new games."
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't know how fragmented the storage is that the game pulls from, but it would be nice to know the actual data size of our games.  I don't know how easy/difficult it might be to implement, but I thought there was a suggestion to make this information available to game creators.  I even thought I put a vote on it, but I can't fine it now...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's the first time I have seen a response like that. That's good to know, and another good reason to use a library campaign.