Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dugeon Creation Set

Hey all, very new to posting here. I am currently running 5th Edition Dragon Heist with plans to follow up with Dungeons of the Mad Mage. I'm a long term player - going into my 40th year as a D&D'er and also have access to the 2nd Edition Ruins of Undermountain boxed set. I'd like to design a series of maps that encompass these "old school" maps, with the knowledge that I'll have to do them in chunks as Roll20 would never handle the whole thing. Can anyone recommend a content pack that will let me build 2D dungeon maps with some simple and common features like pillars, statues, etc. as well? The marketplace can be a little overwhelming when you're just starting out with map building... A pack or packs with some level of instructions would also be useful. Thanks!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I love Gabriel Pickard's Red Cap's Maps:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search?keywords=cap%20red%20maps&amp;author=Gabriel%20Pickard" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search?keywords=cap%20red%20maps&amp;author=Gabriel%20Pickard</a>

Edited 1626205120
I love Dungeondraft, only just got it but it is making a huge difference to my current BGDIA campaign.&nbsp; Lots of people selling their wares ready packaged for use in addition to the default assets, I'm sure you could find someone imitating the style of 2nd Ed.&nbsp; If you can't find it ready packaged, but there is something you like in the Marketplace here, then there is an easy follow video that shows how to package up all your delights in to a format ready for use in Dungeondraft.&nbsp; Once you've made a map, DD exports it in Roll20 format so you can just click and drop on to a new map page ready for play.
Gold
Forum Champion
Have you purchased/installed Dungeon Of The Mad Mage yet?&nbsp; It has tons of those style of maps (not as tiles for a creation set, but 20+ levels already mapped out)
Gold said: Have you purchased/installed Dungeon Of The Mad Mage yet?&nbsp; It has tons of those style of maps (not as tiles for a creation set, but 20+ levels already mapped out) Not on Roll20 - I own the hardback and the idea was to create my own, expanded maps based on the huge, poster sized maps in the 2nd Edition Ruins of Undermountain boxed set. I'm a little gun-shy on getting DotMM on Roll20 because I was not impressed with the maps that were included in Dragon Heist. Thanks though!
Thanks, I'll give DungeonDraft a try! Simon G. said: I love Dungeondraft, only just got it but it is making a huge difference to my current BGDIA campaign.&nbsp; Lots of people selling their wares ready packaged for use in addition to the default assets, I'm sure you could find someone imitating the style of 2nd Ed.&nbsp; If you can't find it ready packaged, but there is something you like in the Marketplace here, then there is an easy follow video that shows how to package up all your delights in to a format ready for use in Dungeondraft.&nbsp; Once you've made a map, DD exports it in Roll20 format so you can just click and drop on to a new map page ready for play.
If you want to create random dungeon maps and make them look "old school", like 1st ed or 2nd ed, or whatever, you can use donjon random map generator and fiddle with map styles. Check out this video (skip to about halfway through the video) to see it being used for Roll20 (in this case, making it a transparent map to use Roll20's grid or other map tiles)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
If you want to use Roll20 Marketplace stuff, just do a search for "Old School" and you'll get results like this: You might find something there you like...
I find&nbsp; <a href="https://inkarnate.com" rel="nofollow">https://inkarnate.com</a> &nbsp;to be a fairly inexpensive and easy to use online map-maker.&nbsp; DungeonDraft is good as well, a lot more options but steeper learning curve.