Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Bottom edge of map acts strangely when zooming or scrolling

When zooming out from a map to the point where the entire map is visible, the bottom few tiles sometimes become invisible.  They reappear when zooming back in.  Usually it's about two and a half rows of tiles that disappear. Similarly, if a map's background image is larger than the map area, and the bottom part of the image is not supposed to be shown because it's beyond the edge of the map dimensions (for example, I have expanded a background image to cover an area of 60x80, but then reduced the map dimension to only 60x40 so that the players can only see the top half of the map), a few extra tiles near the bottom of the map sometimes appear when zooming in to the map or scrolling vertically.  In other words, even though the map is only 40 tiles high, I can sometimes see tiles 41, 42, and part of tile 43, including the background image and grid for those tiles.  Scrolling the map vertically up and down near the edge of the map makes the area that shouldn't be shown appear and disappear. This doesn't always happen, only on certain maps.  I can't really find a pattern as to when it does and doesn't happen.  I am not sure if this is relevant, but my Windows 10 display settings are set to have a scale of 125% for all text, apps, and other items.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I thought the recent update to page display was supposed to fix that bug. I must have misread. This is a very old display bug. The best solution is to add a few extra rows at the bottom. I do this in any case for most maps, leaving a margin of 1-2 squares all around. Not only is that bug circumvented, if you hide the margin with regular fog of war, you can keep tokens, preview images, and more there—safely out of sight of the players.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Hey LockeZ, Keith is 100% correct that this bug was supposed to have been squashed for good just over a week ago. If you could follow the steps in Reporting a Bug . If the issue continues after that please send the information you gathered to us as a support ticket through our Help Center . This would go a long way towards me being able to get some eyes back on the issue. With any bug report like this we especially need screenshots showing the issue, a link to the game it's happening in, and a copy of your console log while you're experiencing the issue. Thank you so much for letting us know this is still happening!
This happens to me and my players all the time. It's easily to replicate. You just have to zoom to the point where you can see the bottom of the map and scroll up/down, and there are plenty of other bugs that happen when you zoom out maps. I just wanted to come in and just add my +1 to LockeZ. You're not alone on this one.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can't replicate on small or average size maps. The only time it still happens is on extremely large maps at very low levels of zoom. I have a page that is 232 x 172 units. At around 16% zoom, it starts to get further away from the edge of the viewing area when I scroll to the bottom. At around 13% and lower, I can make it disappear still. I'll file a bug report with a console log, but I suspect this is not a usual setup. I cannot make it happen on smaller maps. For those of you still experiencing it, can you replicate on a map that is around 50 x 50 units?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
CMudd said: This happens to me and my players all the time. It's easily to replicate. You just have to zoom to the point where you can see the bottom of the map and scroll up/down, and there are plenty of other bugs that happen when you zoom out maps. I just wanted to come in and just add my +1 to LockeZ. You're not alone on this one. I have seen this in the past, and it was easy to make happen then, but I can't replicate it now.  If you can still produce this, then you probably ought to submit a ticket as Eve suggested.  It may now be something that only happens on a very specific combination of OS, hardware, and browser.
You know what? I can't actually replicate this anymore. That's crazy this was broken last week. In fact, some of the zoom bugs are gone, but not all of them! You know what I may just submit a ticket after all, my previous post on this got ignored.&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10228440/zoom-selection-error" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10228440/zoom-selection-error</a>
It has always happened so inconsistently that it's hard to tell for sure if it's actually gone now or not, but I haven't noticed it since posting this bug report.&nbsp; Feel free to close as resolved until further notice.