Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL and Update on Drop

Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I hate Update on Drop, but I can't seem to turn it off in UDL...I have the switch toggled to off on the Page settings, but regardless of whether the switch is toggled On or Off, it still only updates on drop.   Here's how I have the Dynamic Lighting set up on the Page: And here's how it behaves... Is there a trick or some sacrifice I need to make in order to get UDL to work properly for me? It's driving me nuts. LDL worked great until last game when all the stuff I had working suddenly didn't work anymore.  Really getting frustrated with this UDL stuff... 😞
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Does it do that on all maps in that game for you? While it shouldn't matter, you might re-enable LDL and make sure update on drop isn't checked there.  Then re-enable UDL and see if anything has changed.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
This is a brand-new map, the first I've ever created using UDL exclusively.  All the other maps were done using LDL; I was going to be surprised and dismayed if LDL had Update on Drop enabled, since I'd never touched that setting. I did check it, though, and Update on Drop was not enabled under LDL, either. I don't know if the issue is on all the other maps.  When I used them, it wasn't and everything worked as expected. I did test the map the campaign is currently on and that map is behaving properly (i.e. Update on Drop is not in effect). This is the first map I've had this issue.
Hmm, it's working correctly for me with the same settings. I can't see anything obviously wrong from your screenshots. It could be there's a bug with the specific UDL settings on the token - have you tried with other character tokens or other token settings? Are you using any scripts that affect token vision/light settings or duplicate the token? Just a thought - try turning off your scripts and see if that affects anything. Have you tried turning off UDL and changing other settings then turning UDL back on? Maybe that'll 'force' it to update to the settings you want. Have you tried duplicating the page and seeing if it magically fixes itself? (Turn it off and back on again haha).
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ok, got it figured out. The torch wasn't moving with the character...There's an API script so I can easily assign the character a torch and it the scripts move the torch with the token, there was just a delay. If I move them both simultaneously, it works. I guess I owe R20 an apology, but I'm still kinda salty over my LDL breaking last game...not a good excuse, though.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That makes sense!  I wish we had a way in the API to group tokens so they move together instead of waiting for the change event. Maybe I'll make a suggestion...
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
That would be awesome. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Finderski said: Ok, got it figured out. The torch wasn't moving with the character...There's an API script so I can easily assign the character a torch and it the scripts move the torch with the token, there was just a delay. If I move them both simultaneously, it works. I guess I owe R20 an apology, but I'm still kinda salty over my LDL breaking last game...not a good excuse, though. One of the nice things about UDL is that light and vision are actually separate things now. No more "Darkvision is light that only I can see" anymore. You might not need a torch-carrying script. I use a command that turns on torchlight on a token and adds a torch token marker to indicate they are holding a torch.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: One of the nice things about UDL is that light and vision are actually separate things now. No more "Darkvision is light that only I can see" anymore. You might not need a torch-carrying script. I use a command that turns on torchlight on a token and adds a torch token marker to indicate they are holding a torch. What script are you using?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Tokenmod. This is an example: !token-mod --set emits_bright_light|on emits_low_light|on bright_light_distance|20 low_light_distance|20 light_angle|360 statusmarkers|Torch With "Torch" being the name of a torch statusmarker.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Awesome! Thanks. :)