Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Advertisement Create a free account

2 Issues: GM not seeing PC to PC Whispers & Audio not playing

Issue #1: In a game for which I am a player, the whispered chat between players is not seen by the GM. I was under the impression that the GM was supposed to see everything. Is this not the case? If it is the case, then does anyone know how to rectify the situation? Issue #2: I have some audio set to start playing when a page is loaded. I have the player ribbon on the page, I have the music turned up (master and specific track), I put a player token on the page just in case (though it is on the GM layer so it doesn't look like they are floating in space, lol), we generally use Discord for talking so my camera and mic are turned off (but I can hear the track when I manually play it), and it does NOT show as playing when I go to the page. I have even gone to the page as a player. Nothing.
1626703621
Bast L.
Pro
API Scripter
For #1, I don't believe the GM is supposed to know. I wrote a sleazy script that I don't use which can let the GM see though: on ( "ready" ,  function () {      on ( 'chat:message' ,  function ( msg ) {          if  (! playerIsGM ( msg . playerid ) && msg . target  &&  msg . target  !=  "gm" )         {              let   playerName  =  findObjs ({ type :   'player' ,  id :   msg . target })[ 0 ]. get ( '_displayname' );              sendChat ( "Watcher" ,  "/w gm "  +  msg . who  +  " whispered to "  +  playerName  +  " "  +  msg . content );         }     }); }); For #2, I dunno. I, and just about everyone I play with, have a lot of issues with tracks not playing. Sometimes reloading works.
1626751634
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Issue 1 was a hotly debated (aka argued over) topic a few years ago but it was decided that whispers between two people, GM to player or player to player, would stay private.
Bast L. said: For #1, I don't believe the GM is supposed to know. I wrote a sleazy script that I don't use which can let the GM see though: on ( "ready" ,  function () {      on ( 'chat:message' ,  function ( msg ) {          if  (! playerIsGM ( msg . playerid ) && msg . target  &&  msg . target  !=  "gm" )         {              let   playerName  =  findObjs ({ type :   'player' ,  id :   msg . target })[ 0 ]. get ( '_displayname' );              sendChat ( "Watcher" ,  "/w gm "  +  msg . who  +  " whispered to "  +  playerName  +  " "  +  msg . content );         }     }); }); For #2, I dunno. I, and just about everyone I play with, have a lot of issues with tracks not playing. Sometimes reloading works. I feel like I should stick up for players by posting code for how to listen in on the GM, but that might be a step too far :)
I feel that the idea that players should be able to conspire together without the GM knowing is bit too adversarial for my gaming tastes. GMs and players aren't enemies, and if you think of it that way, imo, you are playing the game wrong. A GM should know everything that is going on so they can make calls appropriately, with all available information. How does one use that script above? I guess, for #2, I am going to have to learn how to use Discord.
1626780141
Bast L.
Pro
API Scripter
Oosh said: I feel like I should stick up for players by posting code for how to listen in on the GM, but that might be a step too far :) That sounds interesting. Is something sent to each client, but it either displays or not, depending on who the message is targeted to? Or, How would it work? @Randall, a game's GM, if the game was created by a pro subscriber, can go to settings, api, click on new script, paste the code, and save. Anyone using this script should tell their players that it's active though, for honesty's sake. A lot of times, the players aren't conspiring against the GM, just privately chatting to each other, perhaps about personal stuff (okay, if we're being honest, it's usually making fun of someone else, but still, they should know if someone is listening in).
1626793671

Edited 1626879219
Eve
Roll20 Team
Randall T. said: Issue #2: I have some audio set to start playing when a page is loaded. I have the player ribbon on the page, I have the music turned up (master and specific track), I put a player token on the page just in case (though it is on the GM layer so it doesn't look like they are floating in space, lol), we generally use Discord for talking so my camera and mic are turned off (but I can hear the track when I manually play it), and it does NOT show as playing when I go to the page. I have even gone to the page as a player. Nothing. We've been working on improvements to the Jukebox but from what I can tell this doesn't seem to be a known bug. If you could send in a bug report  through our Help Center  that would go a long way towards figuring out exactly what's happening here. We'll especially need a link to the game and a copy of the console log from when the issue is occurring.  Bast L. said: That sounds interesting. Is something sent to each client, but it either displays or not, depending on who the message is targeted to? Or, How would it work? I'm not sure exactly what's sent to each client but if it helps I know that all whispers are visible to everyone with access to the game by going to the chat archive.  I have distinct memories of this being the case in the past but fortunately (or unfortunately) it is no more.
1626820523
Bast L.
Pro
API Scripter
Eve, I just checked with help from one of my players, and he was able to see his whispers in the chat archive, and I was able to see mine, but we were not able to see all whispers (couldn't see each others' whispers to other players).
1626879162
Eve
Roll20 Team
Bast L. said: Eve, I just checked with help from one of my players, and he was able to see his whispers in the chat archive, and I was able to see mine, but we were not able to see all whispers (couldn't see each others' whispers to other players). You know what. I just tested myself and it seems like this was fixed at some point and I just never realized. I know that several years ago the chat archive didn't differentiate between player and GM. My sincere apologies for the misinformation!
Eve said: We've been working on improvements to the Jukebox but from what I can tell this doesn't seem to be a known bug. If you could send in a bug report  through our Help Center  that would go a long way towards figuring out exactly what's happening here. We'll especially need a link to the game and a copy of the console log from when the issue is occurring.  So, I deleted that campaign, built it anew, cleared by cookie cache* and it started working. I logged off for an hour or so, logged back in and it is still working. Thanks for all the responses and help.  *I really don't understand why that is a problem, but. whatever.