Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Importing Creatures

Tintin_discord
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I know this has been asked many times before, but wasn’t sure if there has been any update. If I buy a module on DMsGuild, is there any easy way to get pre-existing monsters on the maps I create? It takes forever to build the monsters. I would also prefer not to use Beyond20/D&D Beyond, because that means I’m clicking to another tab and not focusing on the screen and the game. 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I would recommend putting out some feelers in the API forums to see if there is a script already made or could be made.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Are these standard 5e monsters? The Monster Manual is not very expensive. If they are custom monsters, and just text blocks in the module, it might be a tricky parsing job. I would imagine everyone formats just a little differently.
You are pro, make your entire monster manual(or all the monsters you'd need for a while) and store them in a session called "My Bestiary."  Then use the transmogrifier to pull them on demand into your live session when you roll the encounter tables for them.  I just keep adding creatures to my bestiary over time as I come up with new ideas or add to my encounter tables in some way.