Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

From Inventory to Token (and back)

Perhaps I got it wrong, but I thought you could modify a linked Character Attribute value from the token's bubbles/bars. I am using BECMI character sheet and I have created an Attribute to keep track of the amount of arrows available ( @{repeating_inventtab7_$0_itemquantity7} ) and I assigned one of the values of the token to this attribute. Problem is, when I modify it from the token, the values gets updated in the Attributes section, but not in the Inventory. How so? I thought it was working in a similar way HP does.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Attributes list on the Attributes and Abilities tab shouldn't be used when you're using a character sheet. You've just discovered one of the reasons. Repeating Attributes are special, and never show up in that attributes list. The attribute you created ( @{repeating_inventtab7_$0_itemquantity7} ) might look like a repeating section attribute, but it isn't one - it's a completely independent attribute that isn't linked to the similarly named attribute in the inventory. Attributes in a repeating section have a complex name made up of 3 parts: Repeating section name - in this case, repeating_inventtab7 row id, which is used to find the row in the repeating section, and looks something like -d6fht87gs the specific attribute name, in this case itemquantity7 So, a complete attribute name would look like repeating_inventtab7_ -d6fht87gs_ itemquantity7 Because those row ids are really hard to type, and hard to identify, roll20 lets you replace it with a row index, like $0 or $1. But when you do that, you aren't using the real attribute name-  roll20 will identify that index, and replace it with the row id behind the scenes. But even the true attribute name (something like repeating_inventtab7_ -d6fht87gs_ itemquantity7 ) is not actually the true attribute name. Whenever roll20 uses that name, it breaks it into the three parts, and uses them to find the correct attribute value. If you try adding that to the Attributes list, you will add a single attribute of that name, not an attribute that roll20 can split and divide into three. There's no way to add a repeating attribute to the Attributes list. Likewise, repeating attributes cant be added to token bubbles either. Unfortunately.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
GiGs said: Likewise, repeating attributes cant be added to token bubbles either. Unfortunately. I've suspected this, but never checked.

Edited 1628095884
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GiGs said: Likewise, repeating attributes cant be added to token bubbles either. Unfortunately. Epiphany! This would explain why the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet uses actual attribute names for the first couple of resources instead of just one repeating attribute section. That's actually a valid and useful reason.
GiGs said: Likewise, repeating attributes cant be added to token bubbles either. Unfortunately. Ok, old school piece of paper then. Thanks for making things a little clearer.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can create extra attributes in the Attributes tab, if the intention is that they be completely separate from the character sheet - that would be perfect for your purpose. That allows you to add them to your token bubble, and you can give them a simple name.