Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lock Token Movement Question

Is there a feature that would allow me as GM to lock player's abilities to move tokens they control, while still allowing them to edit stats? My reason for doing so is to move towards more theatre of the mind style, so players explain what they are trying to do, instead of moving pieces around like a board game. But I'd still like them to be able to make all their own adjustments for token bars, but mostly just hit points.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Probably the best you could manage is to just move them back whenever they do.
Actually, not a bad idea. Though I would like something that didn't involve any tracking.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ari K. said: Is there a feature that would allow me as GM to lock player's abilities to move tokens they control, while still allowing them to edit stats? My reason for doing so is to move towards more theatre of the mind style, so players explain what they are trying to do, instead of moving pieces around like a board game. But I'd still like them to be able to make all their own adjustments for token bars, but mostly just hit points. I usually do the theatre of the mind style and I recently tried to use a map but it went from in the head to a complete tactical game.which I did not like or enjoy. I would say leave the tokens on the map are but ditch the map or leave it in gm layer for your reference.

Edited 1406154027
Gauss
Forum Champion
The API may be able to handle this, I would post a request in the API forum.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I can write you a very simple script for this. PM a reminder and I'll post it later tonight.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It is as gauss said! Probably 10 lines or so. I'd do it now, but I'm on my phone and Siri is so bad at JavaScript. :)
Thanks Aaron. I think others will find it useful as well. If you post it in the API section, I'll post on how I plan to use it to assist with creating less tactical oriented games.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Yup. I'll do just that!
Gold
Forum Champion
I have theater of the mind games, with token used for tracking stat (hit points) and displaying hit point bar & the nameplate under the token. I've set up my game board background to have a "nice spot" for each token. Sure the player CAN move their token out of the spot, but then it doesn't look awesome anymore, so they just want to put it back where it's meant to stay, all in a neat row of player-character tokens across the top.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Here ya go Ari! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1033747/script-t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1033747/script-t</a>... Cheers!