Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

CSS Help with textarea

Alan S.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm having some trouble getting textareas to format correctly in my character sheet.  They're taking their height and width properties from the .largedialog class that seems to be built into roll20, when I want them to use the class from my CSS.  In the image above, the first textarea is the dimension I want for all of them--I've set it's height and width using the html inline style attribute.  I want the remaining textareas to be set to the same dimensions, but it's not working. Here's my relevant html: <div> <span class="inputlabel">Look</span> <textarea class="inputarea" name="attr_divinity-look" style="width: calc(100% - 5px); height: 108px"></textarea> </div> <div> <span class="inputlabel">Cult</span> <textarea class="inputarea" name="attr_divinity-cult"></textarea> </div> <div> <span class="inputlabel">Epithet:</span> <input class="inputbox" type="text" name="attr_epithet"> <textarea class="inputarea" name="attr_epithet-desc"></textarea> </div> and here's the relevant css: .inputarea textarea { width: calc(100% - 5px); height: 108px; } what am I doing wrong?

Edited 1629615977
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You've used the descendant syntax in your CSS rule. The .inputarea class and the textarea tag are referring to the same element, so you need: textarea.inputarea { width: calc(100% - 5px); height: 108px; } ".inputarea textarea" will try to select a <textarea> element that is a descendant of an element with class="inputarea" . So, the other solution would be to leave your rule exactly as you have it, but move the class="inputarea" to that parent <div> which currently has no class assigned - that would grab the textarea for you. edit - unrelated, but you may also want a resize: vertical in that rule, to stop the textarea moving horizontally. From the looks of your layout, that's not something you'd want.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
What font are you using on the sheet, is that Caesar Dressing, or some kind of rune font?
Alan S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oosh said: You've used the descendant syntax in your CSS rule. The .inputarea class and the textarea tag are referring to the same element, so you need: textarea.inputarea { width: calc(100% - 5px); height: 108px; } ".inputarea textarea" will try to select a <textarea> element that is a descendant of an element with class="inputarea" . So, the other solution would be to leave your rule exactly as you have it, but move the class="inputarea" to that parent <div> which currently has no class assigned - that would grab the textarea for you. edit - unrelated, but you may also want a resize: vertical in that rule, to stop the textarea moving horizontally. From the looks of your layout, that's not something you'd want. Thank you!  That worked.  and I've implemented your suggestion about the resize as well. Andreas J. said: What font are you using on the sheet, is that Caesar Dressing, or some kind of rune font? Yes, that's Caesar Dressing.