Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5e map labels

If I wanted to create new map labels using the look and feel of the default 5e modules (e.g. Lost Mines of Phandalin's or the Essentials Kit overland map), is there any tool to create such labels? I'm after something that does black text with a white outline in (roughly) the same font as used by the modules.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
There isn't a direct setting on Roll20 to mimic that look. Your best bet is to use a program like Photoshop or Gimp to create the text. If you are looking for a template, I created an expanded Sword Coast map that has photoshop template files. <a href="https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o4C7iPgHwHBlpfVViBE9Ybbik7g9QQza?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o4C7iPgHwHBlpfVViBE9Ybbik7g9QQza?usp=sharing</a> My standard copy about what this project is: After years of running online games, quite a bit of work editing work, and tons of research, I have finished updating and expanding the free Sword Coast map that WotC made available&nbsp; here .&nbsp;This version of the map is spoiler free and suitable for players, while providing DM's (especially VTT DM's) the ability to easily add spoiler locations. In addition, it significantly expands the locations included on the original map. Major changes include: Removed spoiler locations (such as the Uthgardt locations from Strom King's Thunder) Created transparent PNG nameplates for all spoiler locations, for use on Virtual Table Tops Added any missing locations from published adventures Significant updates to Moonshae Isles Significant updates to Amn Significant updates to The Nelanther Isles Significant updates to Cormyr Significant updates to The Dalelands Significant updates to Cormanthor Significant updates to The Dragon Coast Created a version that adds Saltmarsh to the Moonshae Isles Created transparent PNG nameplates for locations from Call from the Deep Shared files include: PSD files so you can make custom edits in Photoshop PNG Map (with and without Saltmarsh) JPG VTT Map (with and without Saltmarsh) Roll20 Map Instructions PNG files of nameplates for spoiler locations
Thanks Loren, that's incredibly useful! I've spent some time playing with this in Gimp and, in case there is anyone else who is interested, I'll put down the workflow I've used to create labels. I get the sense that Loren has a better version of this, so apologies to anyone who knows what they're doing as they tear their hair out at the silly way of approaching it :) When I open Loren's file "Loren the GM - Location Label Template.psd" in Gimp, I see a dot and some text saying "Text Here", then I: 1. Used the Text Tool to select the "Mentor Std" font (Loren has a link to the font in his files) and type whatever text I'm after in black (HTML notation "000000" when setting the colour, I cry when thinking how someone who knows what they're doing selects black). 2. Folllow the steps at&nbsp; <a href="https://itsfoss.com/gimp-text-outline/" rel="nofollow">https://itsfoss.com/gimp-text-outline/</a> &nbsp;on how to create an outline around your text. Some brief testing suggested an outline colour of "fcf7e1" (HTML notation). 3. Move the outline layer from step 2 to below your text layer - this step seems to be missing from the guide linked above. 4. Select "Select &gt; By Color" in Gimp and select the dot. 5. Create a new layer and grow the selection, similar to the guide in step 2 for text. colour this new selection the same as your outline. 6. Make sure the new layer for the got is also below your dot. 7. Select "File &gt; Export As" to expect it as a PNG and upload it to Roll20. Thank you again Loren. I've got no idea how to do a stack of intermediate steps that I'm sure are needed to do this properly, so your files make all the difference!