Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling d14 & d16

I thought this would be easy here, but Roll20 does not seem to have these dice? Why? It should be easy to do that here. :( Anyone got any ideas?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
[[1d14]] [[1d16]] /r 1d14 /r 1d16 They aren't on the die rolling flyout panel from the left menu, and they aren't animated, but they absolutely work in chat. You can roll any sided die using the text input. =D
Thanks Tim. I was in settings setting up macros, so I did not see that they were actually rolling and appearing in chat :P I was waiting for the 3D dice to roll when testing. All good. Thanks. I see they are in chat now :P
Can you share your macros with the players?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Yep. When you're editing the macro, scroll down. At the bottom you'll have a "Visible to Players (Optional)" field. You can add the players, there, who should be able to see/use the macro. Note - there are many good reasons to use a mule character and render these macros as abilities, instead. Then you can give rights to the character to the players who need it. You bypass problems of HTML character resets, you can character vault/transmogrify the character into a new game, etc. It's worth considering, depending on how many macros you have.
Thanks Tim. I did not see that button. I will have another look. I have NO idea what that whole second paragraph is about. :P I am not using character sheets on Roll20. I just want them to see the rolling options at the bottom. All new kids to the game and they will take forever typing in rolling instructions, esp as my game uses d14 and rolling two different dice at once and they explode :P
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Evil GM said: I have NO idea what that whole second paragraph is about. It's a recommendation to use a Macro Journal as described here. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5924364/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5924364/</a>
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Hmm... if you aren't using character sheets but having the players type commands into chat, you can give them some range of flexibility with roll queries, too. [[?{How many dice?|1}d?{Of how many sides?|20}]] That will prompt for dice number and type. Just one example.
All good Tim. Thanks so much for your help. The botton WAS there. I was looking in the side nav bar under all macros as opposed to when you create each individual macro :) I found it and am putting a bunch of them in the macro bar for all players to see. Thanks for your help and patience though. I've been running RPGs for over 30 years, but struggle a bit with these media platforms :P
Thanks too Andrew. :) Not using character sheets on Roll20, so I don't think the journal thing will help though.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Evil GM said: Thanks too Andrew. :) Not using character sheets on Roll20, so I don't think the journal thing will help though. Just to be clear... you don't have to... use... character sheets on Roll20 to make use of character sheets on Roll20. Adding a character, even without a character sheet attached to your game, opens up the ability to store data points, or to house abilities. It doesn't have to represent a character. It's just a library object. In addition to the benefits mentioned, above, you can store macros that spawn chat menus , which can also simplify your and your players' lives.