Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Movable Map Elements with dynamic lighting

Is there a way to group map elements with corresponding dynamic lighting so that way when I move my map element around the lighting also moves? (e.g. a floating platform where players can get in/out from designated entrances/exits but multiple with each of their own corresponding lighting?)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can assign light to any object, but not to a group. So the platform itself could emit light. Is that what you are looking for?
Partially - but also as a way of blocking player movement since dynamic lighting also prevents players from moving beyond walls, for example.
Maybe an example will help: I've made a cube-based puzzle (think like one of these: ) However, the first one is every cube in a fixed layout and has static dynamic lighting in the walls and would require me to drag the players from room to room based on how they solved it. I was wondering if there was a way to do it where I could make each sliding cube an individual section with its own movable dynamic lighting/boundaries so that way I could just drag the squares around in the map layer where the dynamic lighting would move with that section.
I actually did something similar to this but I didn't keep the rooms on the same page, instead I used the teleport API and depending on what they players pulled off in each room I would then wait for their input and move them onto a corresponding hidden teleport pad on the page that would send them to the page with a new room depending on success and choice.  API required for ease of access, but if you can manage the many pages and notes you could do it without a teleport API.  

Edited 1630611379
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I suppose you might be able to move the DL lines with the API and sync them to the movement of a token (map element). With Daylight mode on and Explorer mode off. You would need the script to associate DL lines and tokens with a map tile token's position and rotation. As a general note, shifting dungeons work better if the dungeon shifts around the players rather than their section moving while they are in it. For instance, if you have a tower with a rotating center that changes which door the PCs can enter on the outer ring, things are less visually jarring for the player if the outer ring moves in Roll20 while the players are in the center. For your example, DM Eddie's solution could work well (Pro subscription required). You would set up the rooms 1-15 in a grid and keep track of the dungeon's configuration on the empty space on the map page. When the PCs move to another room, you teleport them to the correct room. The downside of this is that they will see themselves bouncing around the map to locations that might not make sense. Each room could be on a different page, but that is a lot of pages. Another option would be to set up a large map with 16 smaller squares in Dynamic Lighting lines. You could then drag tiles when the rooms/cubes get shifted. This would work if the rooms did not have internal Dynamic Lighting lines. This would require Daylight Mode to work.