Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Journal Section Question: Grouping Characters in Journal

Is there a way to create 'groups' in the Journal section so that when assigning Viewability or access to things within the journal, you just have to assign the group, rather than selecting "All Access" or each individual person. I have 3 distinct groups that I am running, and it is becoming a pain to have to select individuals to make handouts visible to each individual group and keep things hidden from the rest thanks in advance Carl ?:>
Gold
Forum Champion
For what you're asking, without the Roll20 API, the answer is "No" i think. You just gotta go 1-by-1 as GM, open it, hit EDIT, change the permissions, hit SAVE, every time. With Roll20 API (a Pro feature) then maybe/probably yes. Almost Definitely yes, once you do some configuring and pre-work. You'd need to ask in API forum for exact details. As for Grouping generally, which I thought from the subject line, YES you can make sub-folders of Characters just using the folder feature there.  But that won't resolve your request to select-and-change the sub-group of Characters.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
As Gold says, there's not a way of doing that in the UI.  The API can assign players to things, the hard part is just how you pick which thing to do it on.  I could probably write something that would assign a set of players based on the name of the folder the handouts or characters were in.  I could certainly do it with a chat command featuring the item's name, or a menu in chat with buttons. Something that might make it faster for you is you can drag handouts and characters from the Journal onto the faces of players to assign them access to the item and also pop it up on their screen.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would be lovely if the API had access to the folder structure. Then you could create a script that would set permissions by what folder they were in. Example: You want to give a magic item handout to a character, just drag it to their folder. They want to give it to another player, the gm could just drag the handout over and permissions would change.
keithcurtis said: It would be lovely if the API had access to the folder structure. Then you could create a script that would set permissions by what folder they were in. Example: You want to give a magic item handout to a character, just drag it to their folder. They want to give it to another player, the gm could just drag the handout over and permissions would change. that sounds amazing.

Edited 1632047151
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dalton said: keithcurtis said: It would be lovely if the API had access to the folder structure. Then you could create a script that would set permissions by what folder they were in. Example: You want to give a magic item handout to a character, just drag it to their folder. They want to give it to another player, the gm could just drag the handout over and permissions would change. that sounds amazing. That can all be achieved with a brower extension, and I did start working on it. A bunch of other handy features like sorting/mass-deleting/moving entries & folders based on a RegExp or regular search (or a deeper search, like "place all NPC sheets in folder "NPC"), autosaves, manual backups (this is a big one for those who have had their entire Journal dumped to the root folder!). But then a bunch of other things happened and I never got around to actually coding it. The proof-of-concept was sound, though, and with autosave & undo features you don't need to worry overly much about messing it up. If I run out of other things to do I might get back to it :)
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I suggest using Tags for your PC Journals to make life easier for yourself.