Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Most Desired type of maps, Questionnaire

PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So like this is for all players, DMs, and artist creators. The question here is to help give a focus on things that people are looking for the most of and maybe allow creators to provide more relatable maps and accessories. I will periodically post total updates If you choose other please list your alternative choice. Thanks everyone. RPG F antasy G raphics 1. What environment maps do you look for the most? A. Swamp B. Forest C. Desert D. Mountains E. Oceans F. Fields G. Underground H. Other...? 2. What type of place do you use most often? A. Dungeons B. Houses C. Alters or rituals D. Basements E. Jails or prisions F. Castles or mansions G. Other...? 3. What genre do you focus on? A. Scary B. Magical C. Mysterious D. General or common E. Puzzeled F. Dark arts G. Deadly H. Other...? 4. Preferences of gritty preferred? A. No gore B. Mild gore C. Gruesome D. Nail biting bloody fearful. 5. Maps with night or day? A. Day B. Night C. Both 6. What type of history do you use the most? A. Ancient B. Medieval C. Modern D. Future E. Post apocalyptic F. Other...? 7. Which one do you prefer? A. Token B. Maps C. Adventures D. Premade Dynanic light maps. F. Others...? If you have other related questions please suggest them.
1) H Other - common terrains I use plenty, but aren't hard to find.  I find I spend more time looking for interesting natural features like a crevasse or waterfall. 2) F Castles and Mansions - I like a nice heist :) 3) D General or common 4) B Mild Gore - when gore is called for anyways, which I don't think is THAT often. 5) C Both - though I think its harder to find good night maps right now. 6) B Midieval (tempted to say "other, renaissance!" but I suspect that rolls into your midieval category 7) B/D - putting in the lighting isn't that hard, but I can't deny I love the convenience when its done for me (if properly playtested)
1) H.  - Building interiors 2) F 3)D 4) A 5) c 6) In descending order, B-A-C 7) B /D Thanks!
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Updated Results, Updated the more the more replies Questions A B C D E F G H I 1 2 2 2 3 2 4 1 1 5 2 6 1 2 1 7 2 2

Edited 1632918833
If you are doing market research as to what type of maps are the hardest/rarer to find, there is much stuff out there but 'map making' tiles are more scarce.  There are battle maps and whole maps of worlds/continents but it is harder to find what you need to create these maps tile by tile whether they be grand world maps are just the territory within hundreds of miles across.
Like TS stated just above, I prefer map-making tiles, rather than completed maps. That way, I can make exactly what I need, more or less. However, that being said, here are my responses to your questions: 1) H: City maps (tactical level, not high overhead roof-top views). Most city maps I've seen in the marketplace have (in my opinion) too much green space and generally too much open space between buildings. I would like to see a set of city maps where the buildings and streets are more "compact" and gritty, where most of the buildings are jammed in adjacent to one another, and with narrow, winding alley-ways leading off of main roads, etc. In my opinion, that would look much more medieval, and not like a planned, modern city neighborhood. 2) A & B 3) D 4) A... I'll add in the gore with other art assets, if I need it. 5) C 6) B 7) A & B
1. What environment maps do you look for the most? B. Forest 2. What type of place do you use most often? C. Alters  or  rituals 3. What genre do you focus on? F. Dark arts 4. Preferences of gritty preferred? B. Mild gore 5. Maps with night or day? C. Both 6. What type of history do you use the most? B. Medieval 7. Which one do you prefer? B. Maps
1: D Mountains. I would love some more variation with rock, tree, snow, stream, etc 2: G Other. City Buildings. I try and string together places in cities and villages. More than just the inn or civil leader's. 3: D General. It's probably going to be some kind of game set in the Forgotten Realms. 4: B Mild Gore. I prefer art with limited blood spills so that I can add my own later if needed. Hate to have a great room that can only be used as a crime scene 5: A Day. On Roll20, I can turn on dynamic lighting and turn down the lighting. It's neat to have two versions, but for ease of plug and playing on Roll20, give me a day map and I can set options as needed for day / night. 6: B Medieval. High Fantasy pretty much 7. B Maps. Everything else I can write or use some other tool at my disposal to put it together. The biggest time saver for me are great maps. I like tool kit map sets and building my own sometimes, but most helpful is a fun location that I can drop in and send the PCs to.
Just so you know, I'm coming at this from the perspective of a DM. H - Other; I commonly look for environment maps that have interesting details that pertain to my game. As Unseen Seer said, waterfalls or even small details such as a soda on the ground or a bedroll. Sometimes I add those in myself, but it's nice to see something with what I need already there. C - Altars or Rituals; I love religious themes, whether using a legitimate religion or simply a cult. Religious justification is a great tool for giving truly evil people motivation. This is absolutely not a comment on real-life religions, however. A - Scary; Horror is my favorite genre. As you can imagine, I GM a lot of CoC, Alien, and VtM, but I love to experiment with different systems. I would love to see more maps that incorporate horror themes in them. Blood, shadows, and freaky details are the best. C or D - Gruesome or Nail Biting Bloody Fearful; Now, this is what I'm searching for a majority of the time. A dark and gritty map for adults that love scary things. That being said, I have run a cartoony Scooby Doo-style horror adventure for kids. So, this really depends on the circumstances. C - Both; Sometimes I find the perfect map... and it's at the wrong time. Most horror maps are during the night, but I don't want my game to be set only at night. When running a more traditional fantasy campaign, finding a night-time map is excruciatingly difficult. It'd be nice if more people did maps that were both. I understand it's extra work, but it's easier than creating a whole new map. C - Modern; As you can imagine from my game choices, my games almost always take place in the modern-day or the future. And there are plenty of fantasy maps out there for medieval times. I need more modern and sci-fi maps. B - Maps; I don't usually use dynamic lighting as a cheap and lazy gamemaster. I find that I can always find a token when I need it, but I can never find a map. I also love writing, so adventures are great (especially if they come with maps and tokens), but I prefer to work with original content myself. Thank you! I hope that this helps a little bit!