Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to get modules

It says I can use modules and just tweak said modules instead of making a whole new campaign, but it says I have no modules, and I was just wondering how to get the modules. Because I would like to be able to play a campaign with me and my friends but I dont have the time to make one from scratch. Plus I am struggling to make even a page of a campaign, and I think having a base to work with would help alot. Any help would be appreciated.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Later down the line, Roll20 will have a marketplace set up. From there, one will have the ability to purchase pre-made campaigns/modules and/or art assets like dungeon tiles, maps, tokens and etc. This being the beta, you'll unfortunately have to put something together yourself until we have a marketplace established where you can import someone's campaign. So long as your players don't mind a pretty basic setup, you can wing a lot of it in roll20. The d20 systems don't need much setup in roll20 since there isn't much in the way to play a game beyond a battle map, tokens, and dice. If you don't already have a campaign that you're currently playing, a lot of the big games sell little module books (in pdf form too!) that you can play. You can take the battle maps from that module book and plop them into Roll20, you can take the drawing tool and scribble the map out that way or you can just find some tiles in the art library and build the map up that way. Smash up some tokens using the art library in the program and that's honestly all you need to get started if you and your players don't mind sticking with paper character sheets and paper GM notes.
Do you know if it shall be possible to export (and import) full campaigns? I mean a group of maps with tokens already into place on different layers with names and stats. It would make it possible to share ready to play campaigns. Just a thought....
I am currently working on a Pathfinder module, D0 - Hollows Last Hope, and am putting maps, tokens, and encounters together to run it and was wondering if there was a way to share it. This can create a great community share site to trade modules.
I am currently working on a Pathfinder module, D0 - Hollows Last Hope, and am putting maps, tokens, and encounters together to run it and was wondering if there was a way to share it. This can create a great community share site to trade modules. Ooo, I remember Hollows Last Hope. We're still figuring out about how we want to approach sharing. More info as decisions are made!
It'd be pretty sweet to see quick start rules pre-"modulated" for Roll20, if there is interest from the various designers. It'd really emphasise the "quick" part!
I don't think it is a breach of copyright to make a Roll20 version of a published module that you own a copy of, for personal use. But "fair use" law has been taking a hammering in this digital millennium. Someone should perhaps check with a lawyer. Making such copies and sharing them, and especially making such copies and selling them, is certainly both illegal and (in my perhaps conventional opinion) wrong. For reasons that it would be counter-productive for me to describe it is even possible that Roll20 would be legally responsible if its customers used its "market" to facilitate the distribution and especially the sale of copied and derivative work. The are probably legal requirements. Better ask a lawyer.
I was more thinking about specific new scenarios than making adaptations of commercial stuff. Still, it should be possible to have the agreement or a license from the rights owner (depending if you go commercial or not); particularly if users have still to buy the scenario to be able to use the Roll20 module (after all maps tokens and stats are not enough to make a scenario).
Eclipse Phase is Creative Commons and even released digital game assets packs with images and goodies for players and GM's to use. This would be a good first set of modules to make. :)
I think a place for DMs to upload custom-made campaigns would be an asset to all. No money need change hands as it would basically be free file-sharing. I am sure there would be myriad legal problems with such a thing that my lawful good brain just can't fathom right now. lol
Modules are still in the plans but as you noted Ashely we have to figure out how to do it and deal with the legal issues involved. For example DM 1 creates a module and posts it for free use. 30 other DMs create campaigns based on it. Then we get a legal notice from WotC stating that the content uses their copy-written materials, turns out DM 1 used a bunch of maps from one of their module books. We would then have to pull down the module and either wipe out the 30 campaigns based on it or at a minimum remove all offending assets from each campaign. Now we have 30 mad DMs and 120+ mad players because we had to essentially break the game they've been playing for weeks. For-pay modules might be easier since they would need to go through some level of vetting by the devs just like the for-pay tokens go through. But free user-published content is a very frustrating can of worms we're trying to figure out.
I have had the idea about a forum or a sub-forum for peoples producing stuff (tokens, maps, scenarios...) maybe based or linked on the marketplace. Wouldn't it be a good way to have peoples collaborating, with their own works, to make modules? It could be as closed as you want, and controlled by an admin, to be sure that what comes from it is original, or that it has been authorized. That's not a solution for turning any scenario published into a module, but that would be a step to producing usable modules.
What about the ability for a user to make a module that ONLY they have access to? Mainly, I want to be able to set up some beginning assets that I can then "save as" particular adventures and customize them further. That would save a lot of repetitive work.
Gid
Roll20 Team
You can do that, DT_Strain. Create a campaign and set it up to serve as a module template. When you want to set up a new campaign/module using that template, click on your template campaign on the "My Campaigns" page to bring up the campaign details page. Underneath the campaign's icon there's a list of actions. Click on "Copy/Extend Campaign". This will bring up a new page where you can name the soon to be duplicated campaign, add tags and you can toggle on or off what features you want duplicated over (pages, jukebox, decks, chatlog, etc.). When you're done, select "I'm ready, Create Campaign!" and you'll have a duplicate of your module template on Your Campaigns Page ready to be altered to fit your new adventure.
The best plausible deniability solution to having a trading ground for free content would be to facilitate a means of importing and exporting campaign files in their entirety. This would allow creation of pretty much anything with little or no legal ramifications.
Recently I downloaded a few free PDFs from Paizo and I want to drop those in-game maps straight from the book and into Roll20. Is there anyway that I can do this or do I need to scour the internet to find the maps in image-form and then copy them into the Roll20 system? 
Chris U. said: Recently I downloaded a few free PDFs from Paizo and I want to drop those in-game maps straight from the book and into Roll20. Is there anyway that I can do this or do I need to scour the internet to find the maps in image-form and then copy them into the Roll20 system?  Clip the images you need from the PDF and save them.  Then drag from your file and drop onto the Map Layer.
Hi, not sure what system your looking for, but the following link is for 3.5 scenarios that could easily be adapted to Pathfinder. Many have maps that you can use as well. <a href="http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b" rel="nofollow">http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b</a>
Drohem said: Chris U. said: Recently I downloaded a few free PDFs from Paizo and I want to drop those in-game maps straight from the book and into Roll20. Is there anyway that I can do this or do I need to scour the internet to find the maps in image-form and then copy them into the Roll20 system?&nbsp; Clip the images you need from the PDF and save them. &nbsp;Then drag from your file and drop onto the Map Layer. Know how to do that? &nbsp;
Hi, usually you can right click the image and copy to clipboard. Then paste into paint and save and .jpg. Then drag to roll 20 map layer. Hope that answers your question.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Michael M. is correct. I copy from the PDF and paste it into MS Paint, then save it as a .jpg. Then I drop or upload it into the game. Alternately, if the PDF is less than 5MB in size you can drag the PDF directly to the map and you will have an option to select what page you wish to be converted.&nbsp; Finally, some pdf pages cannot be copied like this. For those I suggest a pdf to jpg converter.&nbsp; - Gauss