Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weather Overlays

I've noticed that if you use weather overlays (and possibly other looping animations/gifs), the overlay will become a black screen and glitch out if you switch tabs on your browser for like longer than 10 seconds or full screen any other application Is there a fix for this besides refreshing the browser?

Edited 1632715873
Mino
Marketplace Creator
There isn't to my knowledge. This happens with all transparent .webm files to my knowledge. Most of my animations (if not all of them) involve transparency, and the transparent parts turn black when the window isn't in focus. While it is possible to have transparent gifs and I'm not sure if the bug happens there too, usually those end up being a more restricted file format, so assume most animations you have for your tabletop that use transparency in some way are going to break this specific way.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
It's unfortunate the way the animations work on Roll20. I was making a bunch of them when the feature was new, but I made a decision to stop creating animations for this exact reason. I can say that smaller animations (in pixel dimension size) work a lot better than larger ones. A lot has to do with a browser limitation, so not everything is on Roll20 for the fault, but seeing how Roll20 is a browser based service, there is likely not going to be a better work around to resolve the issues surrounding animations, which is sad because animations can be a lot of fun to add to a campaign. 
Last year I ran the classic AD&D module "G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl" for my group. I purchased an animated art pack so I could have blowing snow for the exterior views, and was very excited to use it. From my perspective, it looked awesome. Three of my players saw the blowing snow with no problems. One player could see it, but Roll20 lagged out to a crawl for her. She was using Chrome. Another player saw no weather effect at all, turns out he was using Edge. I got them both to quickly install Firefox and switch to that browser for the game (same as what everyone else was using) and they had no further issues.