Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFP - DM Extraordinaire - The Wilds of Dulaguzik - 3.5 Home Brew [Paid] - Sundays or Friday nights (NEW GAME WITH 3 OPEN SEATS)

Allow me to introduce myself… I’m John, DM extraordinaire (over 23,000 hours on R20). Feel free to check out my profile on here or Star Playing. <a href="https://startplaying.games/game-master/taibhsear-dm-extraordinaire" rel="nofollow">https://startplaying.games/game-master/taibhsear-dm-extraordinaire</a> Jump to the juice and just email me -&nbsp; <a href="mailto:taibhsear71@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">taibhsear71@gmail.com</a> Or Discord if you prefer taibhsear #7908 I’ll give you a quick summary. I’m 50 and from Canada (Toronto originally but don’t hold that against me). I’ve been DMing since October of 1991. I run D&amp;D 3.5 exclusively. Seriously, you can’t even pay me to play 5e anymore. I’ve run dozens of campaigns and games over the years and still love it. The vast majority of my content is homebrew and unique to my game although I have borrowed from many sources over the years. The Wilds Dulaguzik&nbsp; &nbsp;- Set in the Brout (similar to Goliaths based on half-giants from 2e Dark Sun) homeland of&nbsp; Dulaguzik,&nbsp; located in the East Marches, the campaign will revolve around their struggles to maintain their territorial borders and exploration of the area around it. Their home, in the high mountains of the small (500x500 miles) temperate island, is surrounded by hobgoblins, ogres, and giants. This is an open sandbox game so outside of the main story arc, the players will be free to pursue any goals they wish. Our standard start time on Sundays is 10 am MT and we can play as late as everyone wished to play (usually 4-6 hours). We have two confirmed players at the moment and can start playing once we have a third assuming the group wants to do so. I will run with up to 5 players in the group. As some players have expressed a desire to play on Friday nights, I'm going to run a second version of this game on Fridays from 6 pm to 10 pm MT. Both games have two players ready to start but scheduling prohibits them playing on the same day. The Setting Depending on which game you join you may be in any one of many areas of Thera (the world). Most of my games have taken place in Multras, the primary human continent. Multras is split into five portions (east, west, north, south, and central) each with its own trade language (eastern common, western common, northern common, southern common, and central common), kingdoms, and empires. Some of these kingdoms resemble medieval European countries like France and Germany, and some are completely unique, like the Banite Theocracy of Kallum but they all have their own language and culture. Vaynyke (Vain-ike) is a large island (referred to as the Great isle), nestled to the northwest of Multras. Vaynyke is dominated by a huge mountain range that separates the center (dwarven kingdoms) from the human coastal kingdoms. Vaynyke extends almost as far north as Northern Multras but is much more temperate due to its geological activity. The East Marches is a large archipelago to the east of Multras which is about 2400 miles across (it covers 40 degrees of latitude). It reaches from the tropics to the arctic circle, like Multras. Unlike Multras, this chain of interconnected islands is not dominated by humans. There are many areas ruled by them, but they are separated by vast stretches of wilderness filled with all manner of creatures both friendly and aggressive. Far to the west of Multras is the home of the elves. While the elves spread across Thera from its birth, the majority of them hail from Varanyr (Var-RAIN-nir). These are mostly sylvan elves who live off the land and seek to maintain their culture and traditions. They have a good relationship with the high elves of Varanyr, who they outnumber 100 to 1. To the south, across the maelstrom known as Umberlee’s Playground, is the dwarven homeland of Ardokhan (Ar-do-khan). The ocean around the equator is impassible by ships but it does not matter as Ardokhan has no ports, just sheer cliffs rising up from the ocean floor. There is but one mundane way to travel to and from Ardokhan and that is the great highway, a tunnel under the ocean that opens up in Southern Multras. The tunnel entrance has been held by the mountain dwarves for over five millennia. Flanking Ardokhan, are the goblin and orc savage lands of Krozago (Kro-ZAGO) and Bruhazavo (Bru-HA-zavo). Krozago is the homeland of the goblinoids and Bruhazavo is the heart of the orc horde. While neither race controls either of these continents entirely, their presence is unmistakable. &nbsp; Current Games &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/306827/wilds-of-dulaguzik" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/306827/wilds-of-dulaguzik</a> Your Game &nbsp;- If you have an idea for a game and a group interested in playing, let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I’m free most days except weekends (can be worked around) and Tuesday nights (moveable). I run for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 8. I prefer no more frequently than weekly but depending on the campaign I might be able to do it twice a week. I’m open to anything from slapstick Monty Hall farce to hardcore intense RP. I’ve done it all and I don’t care which style you like. We play to have fun. Some people like fart jokes and shaving dwarves’ beards while they are passed out while others wish to build a rich history and become a cannon feature of the world. Spoiler: There are a lot of cannon PCs both mine and other players in my world and I consult these players when you interact with their characters so you have no idea what’s coming down the line. The Lost Empire &nbsp;- 9th level gestalt game Saturdays (3 pm to 9 pm MT) - There are 0 seats open at this table. The Lost Empire 2.0 &nbsp;- 4th level game Tuesdays (6 pm to 10 pm MT) - There are 1 seat open at this table. Plane Escape &nbsp;- 14th level game Alternate Sundays (10 am to 10 pm MT window but scheduling varies) - 0 Seats Available. Dark Force Rising &nbsp;- 13th level game Alternate Sundays (10 am to 10 pm MT window but scheduling varies) - 0 Seats Available. East Marches Main Campaign &nbsp;- 10th level game - On hold, while a player is dealing with personal issues - 0 Seats available. Noobling Grotto &nbsp;- 1st to 6th game Tuesday Nights - (6 pm to 10 pm MT) - Drop-in game for new players - This game is on hold for now. Chaos in the East &nbsp;- 17th level game - Sundays (10 am to 2 pm MT) - Back on as of Oct 3 - 0 Seats Available. Seafaring &nbsp;- 22nd level game - Sundays (10 am - 2 pm MT) - Backup game when others fall through - 0 Seats Available. Embers of the North &nbsp;- 3rd level game - Double dog dumped as both of the above players are in it. The Splendor - Sunday Backup Game (10 am to 10 pm MT window but scheduling varies) - 0 Seats Available. &nbsp; Expectations &nbsp; I run open, sandbox, player-centric original content games. The main theme is established, the story is there, but these are elements the players choose to engage and I let the players write their own tales. I'm indifferent about the outcome, which seems to surprise a lot of players. I don't care how the story unfolds, although I try to make the most dramatic things happen, the dice and the players' action are the final arbiters. On that note, I roll everything openly. Secret checks are only rolled by players if they wish to conceal an action or outcome. Some of my games are based on themes and ideas I’ve come up with and others are picked by the players. I play many different styles of games. I’m open to basically anything. If you have an idea for a campaign don’t be afraid to present it. I make most of my own maps when I have time and make custom tokens for each player. I detail my loot with the players in mind. I roll randomly but I like juicy drops so I’m often inclined to pick the next thing on the table if it looks sweet. &nbsp; Rates &nbsp; $3 per hour of gameplay (1st-4th level) minimum 4 hours. $3.50 per hour of gameplay (5th-9th level). $4 per hour of gameplay (10th-14th level). $5 per hour of gameplay (15th+). My games have no level limit and we continue on as long as the players wish to play. The highest we’ve made it to is 22nd level. While the PE game is only 14th level, they are already talking about epic level stuff (20+) and post epic stuff (30+). I have rules for both despite never really getting that high with players. Payment is made via PayPal. Roll20 is not responsible for any payment transactions and cannot enforce any private arrangements. My noob game is free to play if you want to try it out and meet some of the other players. I can also run a session zero if you have a group and want to do a one-shot. &nbsp; Getting Started &nbsp; Before you contact me make sure: &nbsp; You are 18 or over. You’re willing to play D&amp;D for 4+ hours a week. You own a microphone of decent quality. You have Roll20 account. You have Discord account.
I'm hoping to launch this game in two weeks if everyone is ready.
Just need one more player to launch.
We'll do a session zero next week to roll up scores and pick classes. First come, first served.
There's no planned launch for the Sunday version of this game as I only have one confirmed player for it so far.
Duncas, the thug leader, was rolling Baron Leo Wilson when the party happened upon them.
Bruze, not to be confused with a bruise, is one of the thugs on the debt collector's payroll.

Edited 1633578202
Ellion is more hired muscle but enjoys his job enough to lend a hand free of charge.
Mykal is more reserved than his coworkers. He's just doing his job while he's waiting for the next opportunity.
Baron Leo Wilson is the recent inheritor of the Merritt family castle in the woods north of town. When the party meets him, they aren't aware of that but the bard figures it out pretty quickly.
Everyone is confirmed for the session zero next Friday night at 6 pm MT.

Edited 1633760188
Session zero will consist of rolling scores, picking classes, and figuring out what kind of adventures the party wants to undertake. Since no one will have a character ready, there will be no combat or gameplay in this session. Rolling will consist of two sets of scores. One is generated by rolling 4d6 and keeping the best three. The other is 2d6+7 for each ability. I allow the players to roll one extra ability and drop the lowest. Then they pick which set of scores they would prefer to use. Most players have an idea of what they want to play before rolling but sometimes the act of rolling scores changes their perspective. A lot of average scores are better for some classes, like a ranger or a monk, than a couple of high ones. Spellcasters tend to be the opposite. They want that sweet, sweet 19 for their casting ability.
The Friday night game is filling up quickly. I have some players who are available for either the Sunday or Friday game so I should be able to shuffle people around to make both groups work.
The bulettes were not as much of a challenge as i hoped.
It looks like we have enough people to launch the game now. Session zero will still be this Friday night, with the game starting two weeks after that.

Edited 1633885787
"He's going to throw rocks at me from 10 feet away." Yeah, definitely. He's way better at ranged combat, lol. Totally fucked with the party last night. After they polished off the green dragon in one round (my fault, I forgot to cast mage armour before the fight), they smoked a pack of bulettes but unlike the other encounters, the stone giants had a plan and played against the party's primary weakness: Movement. Two giants attacked from the south-west and while they rushed them, (several rounds of combat) two more attacked from the north. Between healing and moving they barely got a chance to attack. Pummel, attack, heal, move... over and over. It was glorious. Important Tactical Point: If you're going to cast haste and only get some of the party, get the guys in the back... the fighter/rogue and his paladin/bard cohort are the slowest in the party and at the back of the marching order. Yam hasted the guys in the front and they had no rogue support for several rounds while he got pummelled and moved up.
In a clutch moment, Yogi pulls out the Book of Infinite Spells and casts Heal on himself before moving up to attack the other two stone giants. Unfortunately, he fails his percentile check to keep the page from turning. He uses a fate point to reroll and rolls the same number. The page turns from an awesome sixth level to a first-level spell.
Mantle of the Mage &nbsp; Mystra scoffed, as the barbarian turned to face her. She knew he was no match for her because no one was. She toyed with Tempus until he landed a lucky blow and his blade drank in her blood, leeching her power. Without really considering the consequences, Mystra hit him with a heightened disjunction. She was confident it would end the fight and destroy the wretched weapon, returning the leeched power. The spell worked perfectly and left Tempus stripped of his magic but the greataxe was strong enough to challenge the disjunction and that was before it had sampled Mystra's blood. The greataxe glowed with purple fire before releasing a shockwave which destroyed the Mystra's avatar and brutally wounded the hulking barbarian. He couldn't believe he had prevailed, despite seeing the vision of Mystra being destroyed before he faced her. He walked over to his greataxe, the blade still glowing hot, and picked it up. It was completely inert. Its power disjointed from its physical structure. He tossed the blade aside, believing it would no longer be suitable for enchantment, and collected up the items Mystra had dropped when she was destroyed. He planned to hang the tattered cloak over his hearth. The symbol of Mystra, embroider on it, was mostly burned away but he knew what it was. It is unknown how this prized treasure of Tempus' hearth found its way back to Thera, but the barbarian lord has yet to reclaim it. The soft-purple cloak is tattered and looks worthless. On closer inspection, it is revealed that it is the remains of an advanced armour weave cloak. It radiates magic proportionate to its surface powers. The Mantle of the Mage functions as an armour weave cloak of protection +1. Wearing this cloak will draw the ire of followers of Mystra and potentially the god herself if recognized. If the wearer is a follower of Tempus, it becomes a cloak of protection +5. Additionally, once per day, it can turn one spell of fourth level or lower back on its caster (immediate command). The mantle also grants the wearer 20% fortification. This fortification stacks with the other items in The Regalia of Fury.
Blade of the Lord &nbsp; Lost to history, this greataxe is the first Bultux . The one Tempus wields is a replica of this ancient blade. Tempus went to great lengths to reproduce the greataxe in every way he could, so no one would ever know his first version was destroyed by Mystra. (read the above post for the battle description) The Blade of the Lord was the first relic of Tempus ever discovered. It was inert, save one unique quality, it dripped blood with a soft purple hue. It didn't seem to have any magical abilities, but it was a battle-scarred adamantine greataxe and soon found its way into the hands of the Tainted Blood Clan (originally the Brothers of Battle Clan). It was the champion of the Tainted Blood Clan who presented the Blade of the Lord as an offering to the winner. The Blade of the Lord is a Keen, Flaming, Anarchic, Exceptional Greataxe of Quickness +3. If the wielder is a follower of Tempus, the enhancement bonus increases to +5. Once per day, when the wielder is reduced to half hit points the blade cast Heal on the wielder, caster level 20th, no save. Once per day, when activated (swift command), the blade can cast Righteous Might on the wielder, caster level 20th. The blade also grants the wielder a +5-circumstance bonus to charisma versus other followers of Tempus. Additionally, The Blade of the Lord has the divine ability to Drink of the Foe. This functions constantly but the abilities are only passed on to followers of Tempus. On any successful attack, which draws blood, the axe drinks in some of that blood. This grants the axe and the wielder any special abilities (DR, SR, ER, BW and so on) the target may have for one round per point of damage dealt. This is cumulative. This ability only functions on targets with fluids that can be absorbed so undead, constructs and the like are immune to this ability. This ability was placed on the axe by Malar during the early days when Tempus was known for being much more ferial and vicious. The current Bultux does not have this ability.
Greater Badge of Valor &nbsp; The Greater Badge of Valor was offered not because of its power but for its leadership potential. " If you cannot control yourself, you cannot command others ." This was the motto of the Order of Shield Breakers. While it is not part of the dogma of Tempus it is a common officer saying. This badge is stamped with the image of an impenetrable fortress over which shines a golden sun. The tether is made of green dragon leather, braided into a thick cord. It is a heavy bronze badge is from the Order of the Shield Breakers. It is unknown how such a mundane item was successfully enchanted. When you activate The Greater Badge of Valor (immediate command), you and all allies within 60 feet gain a +5 bonus on the next save you or they make against a charm or fear effect. This lasts for one hour or until discharged. Additionally, you gain the benefit of a Heroism spell for the hour. A badge of valor functions three times per day. If the wearer is a follower of Tempus, the Greater Badge of Valor grants the wearer a +4-sacred bonus to charisma and Heroism becomes Greater Heroism instead, caster level 20th. The badge also grants the wearer 20% fortification. This fortification stacks with the other items in The Regalia of Fury. &nbsp;
Greater Bracers of Blinding Strike &nbsp; These braces allowed a lithe champion to defeat her first champion and move up the ranks immediately. Unfortunately, her fatigue got the best of her in the second battle, as she did not have enough time to rest before engaging a new champion. This pair of elegant bracers is crafted from dark green leather with mythral tracery which looks like vines. Tiny, leaf-shaped plates of silver branch off the mythral to create a glimmering pattern. These bracers grant you a +4-competence bonus on initiative checks. This is a continuous effect and requires no activation. When you activate bracers of blinding strike (swift command), you can make one additional attack with any weapon you are holding during the turn. This attack is made at your full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. This effect is not cumulative with any other effect that grants you an extra attack when making a full attack, such as the Rapid Shot feat, a speed weapon, or the haste spell. This ability can be used three times per day. Additionally, once per day, Greater Bracers of Blinding Strike can produce an action surge (free action command), allowing the wearer to make a full attack as a swift action. The wearer is immediately fatigued after the action surge. If the wearer is a follower of Tempus, the action surge can be performed twice per day. The bracers also grant the wearer 20% fortification. This fortification stacks with the other items in The Regalia of Fury.
The Helm of Sight The Helm of Sight lacks the grandeur of the other items in the set, despite being the crown jewel. Its only identifying traits are its full-face shield and the flaming motif etched into the skull cap. Often mistaken as junk, the battered adamantine helm resembles common iron to the untrained eye (DC 15 Armoursmithing or Weaponsmithing check, or DC 20 Blacksmithing check to identify its true nature). The helm had seen many battles before it was enchanted, and it shows. On closer examination, the face shield is simply dirty and poorly maintained but appears to be brand new, in comparison, when cleaned. The helm was enchanted to serve as an offering to the victor and was tied to the other offerings. The face shield was added to conceal the victor's face, so no one would view him or her as anything but the true leader. The Helm of Sight has been lost since the second Gods War, so the regalia has not been brought back together in centuries. This helm's face appears to be a solid slab of iron, allowing its wearer no way to see out. Despite its appearance, it doesn't restrict your vision in any way. More importantly, it grants the wearer blind­sense out to 60 feet and provides you with a +5-competence bonus on saves against gaze attacks. If the wearer is a follower of Tempus, the helm can cast the following spells, caster level 20th, once per day: &nbsp; Ebon Eyes Darkvision True Seeing &nbsp; Additionally, the helm makes the follower immune to stunning and provides 20% fortification. This fortification stacks with the other items in The Regalia of Fury. The Helm of Sight can also "see" the other items if they are within 100 miles of the wearer. This increases by another 100 miles for each piece acquired.

Edited 1634064536
The Regalia of Fury The Regalia of Fury began as five separate items brought together during the Great Schism of Tempus before humans and the gods had formed a pact. The warring factions of Tempus, unaware of the true will of their god, caused much destruction and chaos. While this alone wasn't an issue, his followers often fought amongst themselves more than they did against other faith's followers. The ranks of the fledgling faith were filled with accomplished warriors and green recruits. Most of the middle levels were slain in pointless skirmishes. This in turn caused the recruits to be cut down, in great numbers, by veteran warriors, depleting their number further. It was at this point that the gods were granted the ability to directly communicate with their followers again. Each power gifted its followers a single item. On that item was written the tenants of the faith. The Flaming Shield of Tempus was to be the greatest war trophy of all time, but one tenant struck a chord with the leaders of the five factions. " Slay one foe decisively and halt a battle quickly rather than rely upon slow attrition. " It was decided the champion of each army would compete in a tournament to decide who was the true recipient of The Flaming Shield of Tempus. Additionally, each champion would offer an item the victor could claim to ensure the true champion of the faith would go unchallenged.
I finally got the Haunted Castle finished and I'm prepping for tonight's game.
Should you pet the spectral horse? He seems tame.
Radella will defend the castle.
Fire spirits will be an interesting encounter.
I made a folder for my magic item tokens. I was never much of a prop person in person but I've really come to enjoy them in online games as I get better are creating things.
Hammer of Thunderbolts This +1 Large Thundering Crushing Maul of Hurling deals 3d8 (critical 19-20x3) points of damage on any hit and can be wielded one-handed by a size large or larger creature. Further, if the wielder knows that the hammer's true name (Anthal) the weapon can be used to full effect: It gains a total +5 enhancement bonus, allows all belt and gauntlet bonuses to stack (only when using this weapon), and strikes dead any giant upon whom it scores a hit (Fortitude DC 20 negates the death effect but not the damage, no save on confirmed critical). &nbsp; When hurled, on a successful attack the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, causing all creatures within 30 feet to be stunned for 1 round (Fortitude DC 20 negates). The hammer’s range increment is 30 feet.
Floating on what appears to be crackling lighting all around it, the Thrashar is an enormous pearl about the size of a tangerine.
Tomorrow is the big day. I'm always so excited about session zero. You never know what the player will do. Session zero will consist of rolling scores, picking classes, and figuring out what kind of adventures the party wants to undertake. Since no one will have a character ready, there will be no combat or gameplay in this session. Rolling will consist of two sets of scores. One is generated by rolling 4d6 and keeping the best three. The other is 2d6+7 for each ability. I allow the players to roll one extra ability and drop the lowest. Then they pick which set of scores they would prefer to use. Most players have an idea of what they want to play before rolling but sometimes the act of rolling scores changes their perspective. A lot of average scores are better for some classes, like a ranger or a monk, than a couple of high ones. Spellcasters tend to be the opposite. They want that sweet, sweet 19 for their casting ability.
After session zero tomorrow night, we'll start playing biweekly on the 29th.
The seat count for this game is diminishing quickly as the approach of session zero draws close. Three confirmed players, two tentative players. Friday may be telling. I really like to start a new campaign with a full group so everyone is a part of the opening story. I may even go to six players if there's enough interest. I don't usually go over five but it's so much easier to add an extra than to start a second campaign and start recruiting all over, lol.
So that plan went out the window. It looks like we'll be doing a Sunday group as well with the overflow players. Once everything is finished tomorrow for the Friday game, I'll start filling slots for the Sunday game.
We have four confirmed players for the next session. Brout Fighter (Jagat), Brout Cleric of Septimus (Joe), Brout Ranger (with a 22 strength and a longbow, that's going to hurt) (Rob), but Josh is still dithering on what he wants to be. Probably something Charisma-based as he has 17 charisma. I'll update the post in soon to reflect the changes and include the start date, two weeks from now.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Friday night session zero was a huge success, now onto prep for Sunday's Dark Force Rising. I think it's going to be another long RP session as we have a lot to cover before the war with the dwarves begins.
The dwarves are going to be unimpressed with a cathedral of Bane being built on the primary trade way they built.
It will take the dwarves some time to respond to the incursion into their territory but they will respond.
Thurman Strakohuk is the merchant in charge of one of the caravans passing the cathedral of Bane being erected on the main trade way. He will try to reason with the banites before less patient elements of his group start trouble.
Grilkam was furious about the new taxes on the trade way. it almost came to blows but the dwarves were careful not to violate the treaty.