Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Owning books not as the GM that can't be used in game

I own books on roll20 that I'd like my GM and other players to be used in our game.  Specifically starfinder.  Currently I'm not allowed to do this. If I'm misunderstanding this, can someone please correct me? You need to be the owner of the game to be able to share books with the other players.  I've shared books in the past in games I own, but one of my friends is running this particular game that we've been playing for a long time and it's under his ownership.  It seems really stupid to me that I'm limited in the number of games I can share books on, but I also need to actually be the owner of the game.  I paid for the book either way why does roll20 care who owns it.  I don't want to give someone else money to buy something so I can use it for a limited amount of time.  To me this seems like more of a cash grab and making people double buy than it does a technical limitation.
The workaround is to create a game using your content, enable compendium sharing, invite the other players and GM, promote the GM to GM, and rejoin the game as a player.

Edited 1633534098
John
Plus
I understand that solution, but we already have a game we've been playing.  Also, I don't want to have to re-create or export everything just to add a book I purchased to it.  Yes, I agree that is a work around.  However, it's very inconvenient.  I don't think it makes sense for me to be the owner of a game someone else is GMing either.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Rather than a cash grab, I expect the sharing rights being tied to the game creator's account is part of licensing agreements.  Unless it is possible to get those renegotiated, I doubt that Roll20 can make changes there.  Otherwise they would end up losing official support of WotC, Paizo, etc.
I'm willing to accept that if true.  I haven't seen that posted anywhere though.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .