Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[DnD 5E] using DMG ruler instead of PHB one?

Hello all, Calculating distance as suggested in the PHB (page 192) doesn't make sense to anyone actually playing with grids and therefore I don't suppose anyone is playing with this measurement system, even if it's the default one (unless someone wants to have squared fireballs?). Thing is, the DMG addresses this issue by proposing a rule : first diagonal is 5 feet, second is 10 (page 251) If not perfect, this method is an improvement but is ignored by roll20 as the "5E compatible" ruler uses the dumb PHB rule. So my question is : is there a way to measure distances with DMG method or are we stuck with Pahtfinder or Euclidian one?

Edited 1633605126
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I thought what you described WAS the "Pathfinder/3.5e compatible" method? Seems to work for me - first diag is 5ft, second is 10, etc.
Oh ok I misunderstood PF method, I thought it was : every diag costs 1.5  square, no matter the number. Thanks for the clarification.