Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't you have special characters in macro names?

Edited 1634202326
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Macros and token actions sort by alphabetical order. In order to get them to group related token actions I add a special extended character set token t the front of the name. For example all weapon damage rolls start with a character that has two crossed swords (⚔). This has always worked great until somebody suggested that I group some of my macros (as opposed to token actions) the same way. So I added the two crossed swords and other symbols to three macro names, and now the macros do not work.  It just prints to the chat  #⚔ Damage and does not run the macro. Everything works fine if I open the click "test macro". But if I just click the dice icon to run the macro, or put it in the token actions and click the token action, it just does the above. It seems like the behavior is that macros can't start with extended characters. Token actions with these characters also work fine.  Is this known behavior? Is there a work around? Does this need a bug report?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm not seeing the same behaviour in my tests: Running from the dice icon produces the same result, as does the macro bar and token action bar. It could be linked to some other issue around the quirks of collection based macros... what is the content of one of the non-functional macros so I can test that against my working (super basic) example?

Edited 1634207889
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can't have spaces in a Collections macro name: change the name to ⚔Damage and you should be fine. If you try to type whitespace in the title, it'll automatically change it to a hyphen - presumably you got the space in there by pasting the name from a Character macro. Edit - actually, you can sort of have a space in a Collections name - you can use   if you really want the displayed name on the Collections tab to look like it has a space in it. But you'd still need to call it with  
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It was the space. I had "symbol space  word". replacing the space with a hyphen still makes it be the first one in the list, and works. The macros are actually being created by an API command, which is how it got the space.  Thank you both very much!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Good catch Oosh, didn't notice the space due to the gap created by the emoji padding! Also nice idea to group macros by emoji Chris, might have to steal use that :)