Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issue with new CIRCLE Tool and Upgraded Dynamic Lighting

Hello, Was working with a couple players today in a test instance to check out some new APIs and test some Upgraded Dynamic Lighting ideas. Created a map page with a few light sources on a generic map. I was demonstrating how UDL barriers worked by installing them around the players in real time as they attempted to run between the shadows in search of the light. I had a blazing bonfire on the Map layer (all animated & sparkly thanks to Matt.M Animations Animated Fire set) in the center of the room for my victi ... errr .. players to dance about. Like a good DM, I dropped a circle around it cutting off their light (and warmth). I was dismayed to see them pop in and out of the circle like haughty little Prometheans trying to steal my fire. I was using Door Knocker, and verified that the circle was the correct color shade as the walls that formed other barriers that had been closing in around them. After a few minutes of their giddy glee, I had to check this out. The page is set for "Dynamic Lighting Barriers Restrict Movement" (Yes, I am THAT mean, I like my solid walls). I verified that the DL page tab had DL ON and "Update When Token Drop" ON. Yes, I have learned, after several sessions, that out our fave rogue player likes to explore the dungeon by apparating through walls, while her companions were busily engaged in boring door knob behaviors. Now I try not to let ghostly wanderings occur. It seemed they could pop inside when the dragged their tokens from diagonal map directions and pop in and out at will. I the dropped a SQUARE Tool cage around them trapping them inside. Worked perfectly (better mouse trap!). I created a rectangle with the POLYGON/LINE tool. Again, no way for them to get in to warm their toesies. Finally, I created a maddening chaotic shape with lots of nooks and crannies with the FREEHAND tool, closing the line. A wonderful oubilette. They banged, bounced, and stress-tested all corners and arcs. 1980 metal heads would have appreciated the head-banging energy. They could not traverse the boundary.  So looks like the CIRCLE TOOL may have a leak leading to a deflating feeling for a DM wanting an arc reaction from players with regard to UDL boundaries. Good thing I did not put that Vorpal Snicker/Snacker Sword in there, or my players would have run off with that thing and terrorized my iron golems. Side note: Would really love an additional map layer to keep the map safe from other items that GMs want to place outside player's grasp. When moving lights back and forth from map, it is TOO easy to accidentally move the map to the GM layer, leaving the players suddenly in a "Grey Featureless Plain". They panicked that they might have accidentally set fire to a Bag of Holding while jumping over my pretty pulsing flames.  One more season wish: Would love some 'Layer Buttons' on the right side of the Zoom Bar allowing GMs to transfer between layers easily (and illuminated to show clearly which you are on) instead of having to navigate the left menu bar or fat-fingering Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts while trying to spare an innocent band of goblins from their vicious cave invaders.  - Will put this on the Grinch Wish List too! Thank you for giving me a wonderful place to shelter my mythological misfits from the marauding horde of humanoid thrill-seekers between weekly sessions!
Checked again. Discovered that whether using a CIRCLE tool OR the RECTANGLE tool + ALT to draw an oval/circle, once dropped, the shape turns into a broken square with a breach at the bottom left. Picture included. This when done on the DL layer (,).