Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Newbie (to Roll20) Question

I am playing in a group with folks of various experience levels with D&D but all of us are new to Roll20. We all currently have only the free Roll20 membership. Our DM is the creator of our game and now wants to begin using dynamic lighting. I know that I could gift a Plus subscription to him but I would like to DM in the near future and would rather have the subscription for my use. My question is: If I purchase a Plus subscription, can my DM use my subscription to control the DL in a game he created? (Sorry if this is a basic question covered somewhere. If it is I have missed it when trying to search through archived topics.)

Edited 1634925116
You can create a game and elevate your friend to GM status, allowing them to run the game. The game settings are controlled by the game's creator, so the creator's account dictates what's available in that game. If your friend created the game space, they'll need to be upgraded in order to experience those perks. When you play in that game, you'll want to log in as a "player" so you don't see all the GM secret/hidey stuff.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
For the most part subscription benefits only apply to games that you create. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that works in someone else's game is importing a character into a game from your character vault which you can do in any game (as long as the gm has enabled imports) if you have a subscription.
The one downside that I know of for being the pro/plus and giving a player a pro/plus subscription is that I am unaware of a default load into the session as a player button, so I always have to load in as GM, see things I shouldn't, while hurriedly trying to click rejoin as player every time.  Unless someone knows of a spot outside the session that lets us do this.  

Edited 1634962163
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
DM Eddie said: The one downside that I know of for being the pro/plus and giving a player a pro/plus subscription is that I am unaware of a default load into the session as a player button, so I always have to load in as GM, see things I shouldn't, while hurriedly trying to click rejoin as player every time.  Unless someone knows of a spot outside the session that lets us do this.   Once you click on the join as player button, simply make a bookmark of the vtt. That bookmark will take you to the vtt as a player every time. Screwed up the instructions. Right click on the rejoin as player button and copy the link. Make a bookmark with that link.