Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Cleric Spell List (and druids etc)

Edited 1635017466
Detailed description of the problem It seems the charactermancer incorrectly assumes that you can't add all spells to your list as per the rules. While this might be intentional, it is still a bug that could be fixed through development. Why not make your code more performant such that it can actually follow the rather reasonable and really not that complex rules? It is after all a pretty core part of 5e so surely implementing these basic rules has some value. Minimum number of steps to reproduce the problem Create a character Make them a cleric via the character mancer Select the spells tab Attempt to add the spells you "know" per the rules Description of setup Any browser No Add-ons/Extensions Any OS Supplemental Information Expected behavior: As a user, I would like to be able to add all spells to my spell list in the appropriate classes (for example Cleric and Druid as well as others), so that I can play the game following the rules and prepare spells in a reasonable way. "You prepare the list of Cleric Spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the Cleric spell list. When you do so, choose a number of Cleric spells⁠ equal to your Wisdom modifier + your Cleric level (minimum of one spell). The spells⁠ must be of a level for which you have Spell Slots ."
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As you have noted, this is to keep the game performant. Spells can be dragged and dropped onto a character sheet as needed (which is the intended behavior—the Charactermancer only gives you the required minimum). While certainly not as convenient as just clicking a "prepared" button, changing that behavior would not be a simple matter, but would likely require a rework of the underlying code base of Roll20. There might be some workarounds possible (the Shaped Sheet and script feature an "import" button for SRD spells, for example). I know some users have developed elaborate lists of macros. There may be other solutions that clever folks might suggest here.

Edited 1635019938
It seems it should be well within reasonable performance to store this in memory? Its hard to see what might make this not performant aside from some kind of technical debt (which should be a priority anyways to clean up imo...) Maybe knowing why its not performant will make it an easier pill to swallow :) A prepared button - would that not just be adding a new subclass for the charactermancer that only has the spells tab implemented and a different filter? Similar to hopefully how you implemented charactermancer vs charactermancer +level?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The main design consideration to overcome is that in order for the VTT to be responsive, it has been designed to load all assets into memory, rather than depend on continual remote calls. A spell is not one attribute, but more like 12 (probably more: name, range, components...). Adding 35 or so spells to a sheet (which I think would be typical of a 3rd level 5e cleric) would add over 400 attributes (some of them quite lengthy) to a single character. If you had a dozen clerics in the campaign, you can see how that would multiply. I'd like to see the spell selection routines broken out of the Charactermancer as a standalone spell manager. It might even be currently possible if you don't add a level, but I've never tried. I tend to find a core group of spells for each of my cleric builds and maybe 3-4 alternates that I turn on and off.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There's probably a Suggestion to vote on in the Suggestion forum. And I would be greatly surprised if this matter has not been investigated at some length by the dev team.
Thank you kindly sir