Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Support for Microsoft Edge?

Hey guys, I know that Roll20 is optimized for Chrome and Firefox, but I'm wondering if/when we'll see support for Edge coming?

Edited 1635102188
Just ignore the warning and use it.  It works better than chrome or firefox. Edit:  Though - if anything weird is happening - I suppose you should confirm it's not just an Edge thing before complaining about it in the forums or reporting as a bug.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
One person in my group uses Edge and claims the performance is much better. The only aspect of being a "supported" browser is that the dev team actively works to make those browsers run the code correctly. Chances are pretty high that most browsers will work fine for most features.
I've tried it out in Edge, Chrome, and Firefox.  So far, the performance difference is negligible.  However, I do think that Firefox is a smidge more efficient with some elements, like rendering 3D dice and such. While I realize there's no noticeable impact to using Edge, I'm still curious if the dev team has plans to actually officially support it or not.
I'm also curious about why devs haven't added Edge to the recommended/compatible browser list. I've been using it since it's available and I've never had any problems. Also, Microsoft claims it's compatible with most things IE is.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think it's a matter of time and manpower. When they were developing Roll20, Chrome and Firefox were the most modern and ubiquitous choices. They still have a huge installation base. Adding more browsers would only add more potential for things that need to be fixed when a browser updates its code.
keithcurtis said: I think it's a matter of time and manpower. When they were developing Roll20, Chrome and Firefox were the most modern and ubiquitous choices. They still have a huge installation base. Adding more browsers would only add more potential for things that need to be fixed when a browser updates its code. Perhaps?  I get how that works, I've worked IT for smaller companies (though I'm now a small fish in a very big pond), and I've had that same struggle before.  It'd be nice to know for sure though.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is based on public statements over the years. I don't know if it is officially written down anywhere. It might be a good question for the next Round Table.