Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Buy Permanente Roll20 Pro

Score + 22
Hello, I am opening this topic today to propose the idea of switching from the current subscription format to a permanent purchase format, I spoke about it with the support and he recommend me to propose this idea here and that if the community was ok with that so they weren't against the idea. I hope to have a good feedback from you all and I apologize for my level of English :S 
I like the idea, quite honestly. I don't use the platform consistently enough (it's impossible to match schedules to find a time to play, right?) for a suscription plan to be worth it for me. But I'd love to have access to pro features when I do play...
Yes... I have considered the other VTTs out there a few times because of thier pay once and done model... and now that my latest pro year is almost up I am seriously wondering why I want to pay again this year when I could pay once with a different VTT.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think the hurdle is that most (all?) vtts that have a buy once model don't have much in ongoing expenses.  If you buy a vtt that is stand alone software, then you pay for the bandwidth and storage you use.  Roll20 has the ongoing cost for server space and storage that won't go away, so they are paying for our storage and bandwidth.  And that is true for all games run and played by free accounts as well. It would be a nice option.  I'm not sure it is actually possible for a web host to go to that model and expect to be able to reliably pay the bills down the road.
I do not know enough about their economic operation, but in a pinch he could add ads and then take a small tax on the roll20 store.
Completely agree with the previous comments. I don't pay for a Roll20 account as I don't play regularly enough but a permanent account at an acceptable price I think I would take.
The subscription model of life is trash.  Let me buy it or I will jump through hurdles to use the free option.  
Kraynic said: I think the hurdle is that most (all?) vtts that have a buy once model don't have much in ongoing expenses.  If you buy a vtt that is stand alone software, then you pay for the bandwidth and storage you use.  Roll20 has the ongoing cost for server space and storage that won't go away, so they are paying for our storage and bandwidth.  And that is true for all games run and played by free accounts as well. It would be a nice option.  I'm not sure it is actually possible for a web host to go to that model and expect to be able to reliably pay the bills down the road. I am not a programmer, but I do know a bit about marketing statistics. It is more profitable to obtain new subscribers than it is to maintain a focused group of them, because eventually a person's subscription stagnates. At that point, the subscriber's subscription maintains a base level, but does not increase. In English, let's say we have a pro subscriber that does the $100 a year plan, and we run some statistics to determine the average pro subscriber keeps their subscription for about 3 years before deleting their subscription. If we offer a permanent plan for around $650, yeah that's a large chunk of change to charge, but we have still made a profit on that pro subscriber.

Edited 1637783545
I see in the end that the topic would be favorable for a new community which is cool I think :)
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
This would be very cool indeed! I would definitely like to pay once for the privilege to update sheets, as that is the only pro feature I am using :)