Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking to improve my voice/audio quality

Hi all, Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum earlier. Whoopsies. Anyhow, I currently run a weekly Call of Cthulhu game and I'm looking to upgrade the quality of my voice broadcast. Currently, I use a cheap headset that I got in a combo pack years ago. The problem I'm having is my players say they're getting alot of static and feedback from my current setup. I'm looking for your best suggestions for around $1000 (USD). Does not have to be a headset, I'm certainly willing to go with a standalone mic or any kind of software/hardware. I'm totally clueless with this kind of stuff. Thank you all so much for your time.
I DM using bone conduction headphones (€150) with built in Mike - their huge advantage is that because they are outside the ear rather than in/over the ear is that I can hear myself talking so know how loud I am…. And so don’t shout (as much) when things get exciting.. has Cut waaaaay down on the complaints about volume from the others in the house.
Maybe you're all set on the other aspects of your gaming setup, but it's also worth checking on the "other" factors that impact system performance, to see how much performance wiggle room you have. In my experience, unreliable  Audio/Video quality has often resulted from the load on the computer processing setup or my overburdened internet connection. For example, I've sometimes used a second device to offload my AV chores (old chromebook!) and know it's hopeless when my kid is gaming online too. At the end of the day, I think the horsepower provided by one's computing rig and internet speed/banwidth will have a far greater impact on AV quality than the speakers/mic, unless those are trash. (None of that is to say you shouldn't live large with a sweet headset and mic, but as you troubleshoot these issues those are worth adding to the checklist).