Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Way to Edit Monsters In the Compendium?

My party runs a slightly tougher set of monsters that all have much more HP and slightly higher AC in our games, so I'm wondering if there is any way to adjust the stats of monsters in the compendium so I don't have to make those adjustments every time I add monsters from the compendium. If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to streamline that process that I might not be thinking of, or am I SOL? Thanks! 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
It is more convenient with a pro subscription, but this is why some of us have a Bestiary game for each system we run.  Once you think you are done with a specific edited monster for a while, move it through the vault to your Bestiary game.  Since it is stored there, you can delete it from your vault, and it will be available for whatever game you need it for in the future.  The transmogrifier that is available with a pro subscription skips the vault entirely letting you move things around while in game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you make changes to a Compendium creature, and keep that creature in your game, a compendium drag will place your modified creature, not the Compendium copy. Example, if you give all of your goblins Browning Semiautomatics, any compendium drag will pull in your gunsel versions. for this to work, the name must be the same as the Compendium name, and the altered copy must be in your game already. If you want to keep the journal list tidy, you can use the archive function on the altered copies. That keeps them in the game, just invisible.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: If you make changes to a Compendium creature, and keep that creature in your game, a compendium drag will place your modified creature, not the Compendium copy. That's very cool. Has it always done this? I thought it overwrote your own creatures if you had the same name.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No, it's the other way around, specifically to preserve your homebrew changes. It's why some folks report that if they drag a monster into their game after buying the monster manual, they are still seeing their old tokens. It's good behavior that protects your customizations.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, I got it worked that way now. I was asking if it always worked that way, because I didnt remember it working that way back in the day.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's worked that way for as long as I can remember.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks. I may have just assumed at the time that the compendium would overwrite creatures. I definitely remember people reporting that happening in forum posts, but they may have been glitches. The system you describe is a good one.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You might be thinking of when people drag a Compendium monster directly onto an open character sheet. I think that overwrites whatever character you have open?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Now that you mention it, that is probably what I'm thinking of. Sorry OP for derailing the thread a bit!
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Is there a way to reverse this?  Say I wanted to revert a Compendium monster back to its original state - how would I do that? e.g I edited a goblin, screwed it up, and now I want to revert it back to the original compendium entry.  I deleted the modified goblin from the game, but when I pull the goblin out of the compendium, it still see my edits.  Is there some other step I need to execute? 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You need to delete the character sheet from the journal (or rename it).  If there is any edited sheet that is still there with the name Goblin, the compendium won't overwrite it.  Then drag out the new one from the compendium when you are sure you have that creature cleared from the journal.
I'm finally reading everyone's comments and input, and this has all been super enlightening! Thanks!