Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Old-School Essentials Character Sheet Broken?

Hey there. I have been looking into running an OSE game and finally got around to setting up the game on Roll20 and inputting some monsters. For some reason, things were a bit confusing so I checked out this video on Youtube just two months ago. There are sorts of things in the video not in the sheet: 1. No THAC0 but there is a BAB, 2. No Attack Matrix on character sheet, 3. when attacks are rolled the attack matrix does not appear in the chat window. Upon further looking through it there are all sorts of additional issues: 1. Con does give proper modifier, 2. Armor class is not calculating DEX modifier though it appears under attribute modifiers, 3. adding a shield and modifier does calculate properly. These are just some of the quick ones. I have sent off an email to the developer but I am curious: 1. anyone else currently  having these issues, 2. why are there so many errors and missing things from a character sheet that was running properly on or before Sep-21 of this year?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From the github repository, it looks like there are two OSE sheets: "Old School Essentials" and "Old School Essentials - AAC". Is it possible you are using one and the video is using another? If you are using the AAC sheet, there is a note in the readme file: "This is the official  Old School Essentials  character sheet. Please submit any issues to  my repository ."
Roll20 offers only one sheet that does not have the ACC notation. It is listed as a created by Neccrotic Gome.  Furthermore, if another sheet is added how Do I input that into my game? I hate to think my time spent on the map and dynamic lighting is wasted. That dungeon took forever.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can reassign the sheet a game uses. That may cause some issues depending on the sheet construction, or it may be fine. In either case, your dungeon and DL work should be untouched by any such change. I am unfamiliar with either sheet, so I can't offer any insight to their behavior. I just wanted to pass along the information in case it could help you track down a solution.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If I go to the create game page, select the Old School Essentials sheet, and then inspect the preview image, the image has the aac tag in the name.  I expect the Necrotic Gnome (game publisher/author) and Wesbaker (github user name) are probably the same person or at least affiliated.  You could try going through github and filing an issue, which is the second link keithcurtis posted. One thing I would say is that you may want to check the settings for the sheet.  The video you linked to mentioned several settings in response to a question posted there.  Some of this stuff may be hidden due to settings, or may only be visible when doing certain things.  There is also a Facebook group mentioned in comments of that video, so you may check there if you are active on that platform.
Gold
Forum Champion
follow-up to Kraynic's, On your GAME SETTINGS page (outside the tabletop), you can re-view the Sheet setting, change to a different Sheet (and change back if you want, later), and see that Preview Thumbnail image.  That's also where the Sheet might have OPTIONS if it supports and sheet options.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
His repo already have a number of issues opened, maybe one of them already mentions your problem. And if not, opening a new one would be the way to go: <a href="https://github.com/wesbaker/roll20-character-sheets/issues" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/wesbaker/roll20-character-sheets/issues</a>
Check the settings for the character sheet as it has a switch for using either Ascending AC or Descending AC (THAC0) - I've just been testing this myself and if the sheet is set to Descending AC, the attack Matrix shows up and everything seems to calculate correctly. You can make this change within individual character sheets or in the main game settings when you choose the sheet to use. I am using the official Necrotic Gnome sheet if that helps.