Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Starfinder support status?

It's been over a year since I've seen any update on what's going on with Starfinder character sheet features.  Since then, multiple releases have come out on the Roll20 marketplace with little to no progress on the character sheet.  Your competitors are lightyears ahead in their support for this system.  If you can't find someone to hire to do this for you than you should allow this to be a something of an open-source community project, though that bothers me in other ways. It's really just that you are still selling Starfinder products, and you have yet to offer a satisfying Starfinder experience or even acceptable functionality that we see your competitors offer. Here is what I saw on the store page when I made my purchase over a year ago: Roll20 Enhancements: Drag & Drop  feats, spells, items and equipment directly onto your  Starfinder by Roll20  character sheet for instant population. Compendium Sharing , allowing your in-game players access to the rules they need. Setting Game . Instantly inject your game with pre-generated characters from the Starfinder Society Pregenerated Characters package, a star map, Starfinder appropriate terrain, and all the most important handouts. Web compendium , making it easy to look up any rules you need at your physical table. Bonus Token pack  with over 200 art assets, available for use in any of your Roll20 games. Continuing Development  includes  Roll20 Charactermancer  support, allowing you and your players to build characters in moments. And so far, again over a year later, I have seen little improvement in drag and drop (why can't I drag and drop class options and racial abilities?).  Why do I manually have to type in every single racial and class bonus, why do I have to manually input class information at all?  Why can't I import my character from other more feature complete character builders? There has been absolutely Zero progress with the Charactermancer, and nothing but empty platitudes.  You keep taking people's money and you are not even close to feature complete for the features that you yourself promise, that you  advertise.   So, with all of that out of the way, what exactly can I expect for the future of this system on your platform?
As someone who doesn't like DND, I feel your pain.
John D.
Pro
Sheet Author
As a product manager for a tech company, I sometimes run across customers with similar positions wanting and waiting for a feature.&nbsp; The answer is really, usually, as simple as money.&nbsp; I know that can sound base but is often the reality.&nbsp; Businesses might run with tight budgets, understaffed, or are beholden to politics.&nbsp; If I were to venture a guess, I'd say Roll20 does not have the staff to pursue games that just aren't bringing in the money.&nbsp; I wouldn't pursue features or products that didn't produce enough ROI to pay my engineers or keep the lights on, either. Have a read at this report:&nbsp; <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/posts/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2021/" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/posts/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2021/</a> By and far D&amp;D5e is the clear money maker, accounting for over half of all campaigns played and subscribers logging in.&nbsp; There is a ton of content for this game and therefore more for the subscriber base to purchase, and it is a growth product.&nbsp; Even if Roll20 stopped paying attention to all other games, this one alone would keep them going. Now take a look at Starfinder with less than 1% for both campaigns and subscribers, and it's not growing.&nbsp; It's no mystery why Roll20 does not invest their resources into this game.
John D. said: ETC... Now take a look at Starfinder with less than 1% for both campaigns and subscribers, and it's not growing.&nbsp; It's no mystery why Roll20 does not invest their resources into this game. I understand all that, John D., even before I posted.&nbsp; Doesn't change the fact that I made a purchase with expectations that they set.&nbsp; If they are unable or unwilling to support the system with features that they promised, then they need to change those promises and perhaps make things right with folks that made purchases with certain expectations. Their main competitor is certainly doing a better job supporting this system despite more than likely having similar numbers while Roll20 continues to sell content for a system that they fail to provide promised features and support for, and as paying customer I'd like to know what's going on. I'm a customer, John D., not an investor or part of their business I shouldn't have to care about the numbers they are making or their profit margins and how that impacts the things I purchase from them.&nbsp; So long as they continue to sell a system I, as a customer, should be able to expect support for that system especially when their storefront clearly states that what I can expect.

Edited 1639926045
Tom
Pro
I hear ya Wiz 1, and then some!! Before Starfinder released 4+ years ago I had a Starfinder subforum on Roll20 with about 240 eager Players and GM's ready to go.&nbsp; The sheet was workable but with time and any lack of improvements its not really working compared to other game sheets sadly. Of note Roll20 said they will have new mech and vehicle sheets by the end of this year, hoping they do a major update to our base sheet but who knows...... Also note Roll20 has NEVER put out a full 6 part AP to date, and that hurts potential Starfinder GM's and players to this day, big mistake that also keeps the numbers down I bet. And if you look at the most popular Paizo products on here the CRB for Starfinder is NUMBER 3, so the potential was there but its been pretty much wasted as I see it.&nbsp; But once in a while they do throw us a bone, tech Rev and the upcoming Magic book is nice as well as the module Liberation of Locust 1 is good to have here. All we can do is keep up the Starfinder chatter as best we can, just like PFII and sooner or later we might get what we are looking for, or so I hope anyways!! Also if you can make the live Roundtable chats on Twitch once a month and ask specific questions, that also might help, I know I do when I can catch them live :) Diversity is the spice of our RPG life and just having 5th Ed as their only flagship would really stagnate Roll20.&nbsp; Its nice to have some of the 3rd party stiff on here but most are not my style so far. Anyways thanks for making the thread and lets keep it going bud Tom
Thanks for the reply, Tom.&nbsp; It was nice hearing a little about your history with the platform.&nbsp; Your right about 5e.&nbsp; They can't depend solely on that, people will and often do move on from that to other games.&nbsp; Keeping these other systems alive and well on their platform helps with the overall health of what they are offering and effects all the other ones positively.&nbsp; In other words, keeping Starfinder and Pathfinder 2 up to date, relevant, and feature complete will help their number on other systems (5e) just as 5e support will help the numbers with these so long as they are in good shape as mentioned.&nbsp; It's a feedback loop.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I suggest to contact roll20 direct to be sure you get an answer to this, they aren't too consistent with keeping an eye on the forums apart from a few specific threads. Recommend commenting on the Starfinder mega-thread as well, but there haven't been any responses there in a while either, and people have been asking the same questions. I'll shoot this forward and see if one will appear.
I really do hope they do something to help out other systems than 5e. I really want to play on Roll20, but I hate how the sheet doesn't even fill out the stats and stuff for base classes and race. It just takes forever to make a character that my players kind of shy away from it. I would love full support of all the different source material, but at least making the form auto calculate stuff would be a huge help
I've given up and moved on to Fantasy Grounds. Roll20 had a chance to support this and earn my loyalty. They failed. Now I've go real-time lighting that work without API scripting and a much better combat tracker. No one has a better charactermancer for D&amp;D, but Roll20 doesn't appear to care about supporting anything other that WotC content at the moment. Can't even get their monthly Pro "free" content to download. Last two months I've got nothing for my extra subscription fees. Sad.
Absolutely, promises were made and they have yet to deliver all the while charging money (even increasing their subscription price).
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
I'd really love to see better support for the product.&nbsp;&nbsp;
a quick look at the competitors and you will see they have ALL the starfinder books available.&nbsp; Roll20 has yet to even add Armory.&nbsp; And the number of modules is pretty sad.&nbsp; I have pretty much completed an entire campaign arc (adding npcs, maps w/ dynamic lighting, created tokens, added creatures, everything) and reached out to them to do this, but no response at all.&nbsp; and its been almost 2 years with the same glitches on the character sheet....im seriously looking to cancel my subscription (after spending a lot of dough on the compendiums and some on 3rd party work)&nbsp; SO DISAPPOINTING

Edited 1647097390
Tom
Pro
Many of us are with ya Wayde, I know I've been trying by posting and chatting live with the Roll20 team when they have their live twitch roundtables, used to be once a month but none so far this year...... One thing I have noticed is that MOST Starfinder players and GM's don't even have Starfinder listed in their Roll20 game prefs, and that hurts us a lot as they won't "see" those numbers.&nbsp; Just us few here who use the forum regularly aand post on Game topics ;) I see you have yours clicked, so thats good. I did get a small forum talk going from a Roll20 team member asking what is a good Starfinder AP we should put out, so at least its something.&nbsp; As to if they will ever do anything from that, no clue sadly. The new R20 President said they will start being more open about stuff, but I've heard that many a times before on here, needless to say. Best bet is to keep on posting about Starfinder, starting new thread as (needed) well and post in the product ones that do come out, and play a lot, LOL!! Tom