Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Feats like "Fey Touched" add spells that count against Spells Known

Playing 5th Edition, using 5e character sheet Charactermancer : I have a player that chose the feat "Fey Touched" which adds the spell "Misty Step" to their "spells known". Now when they level, it counts that against him, and won't allow them to choose a new spell upon leveling. It reads that he has already chosen 7/7 spells, when he has only chosen 6 (+ Misty Step). Is there a way around this? I have tried to enter the spell settings, and changing the "Class :" but that isn't working.
My workaround for things like this is to do as much as I can with the charactermancer, and then, once the character sheet has been created or leveled up, add any additional spells I am owed manually. (I can drag the spells from the compendium to the character sheet if they are either spells from the SRD or I have access to the appropriate book on Roll20. If not, I can edit the character sheet and type in the spell's details.) I'll usually make a note in the "innate" field of certain spells for bookeeping purposes (so that "Light Domain" is displayed next to a Light cleric's domain spells, or "Fey Touched" next to Misty Step for a character with that feat), so I know not to count them against my total. Sorry to say I don't know any techniques for tricking the charactermancer into behaving properly in the first place.
Hm - Yeah, I do always worry about forgetting things, so adding the "innate" notes would be helpful. I did notice I could "manually" add the spell; meaning to type all in all info from a blank spell addition. The program doesn't recognize those in "Spells Known" when leveling; however if it's a spell that increases it's damage/healing, then that's more to remember to edit and such upon leveling. I was just feeling like it's an odd "bug" to go unfixed, or to at least have a way to tell the program to quit tracking it like a spell chosen as whatever class, or a simple checkbox to say "ignore this" or something... Anywho, thanks for responding Sarah! Maybe someone else knows a better way than what we're doing - or maybe it'll be something fixed. :)
Have you tried dragging a spell from the compendium? That should populate the character sheet automatically for many spells, so you shouldn't have to type them in.
I have, but when (level up) it counts it against "Spells Known" ; where doing it manually (typing) it doesn't.
I think that this is a case where the complications of the new feats added after the original ruleset exceed the complications originally programmed for. There was likely way to track spells added by feats, and this is likely not to be a high priority fix as it adds a completely new way to track an amount that has limited applicability. This may be something that you will continue to have to track manually.

Edited 1641141687
When you level up, roll20 re-populates all spell fields by setting them to their default values.  You need to add/remove a character to the name field of the spell so it doesn't match with the default name to avoid this (I add a space).  Then the spell's fields, including the innate field, will remain as you set them as you level-up. If you use the 5e OGL companion API, it'll automatically deduct one from the spell slot field when you cast a spell.  But if there is text in the innate field, it will not.  This helps account for spells you can cast without expending spell slots.
You can add Misty Step and you additional spell from the compendium. Once you have them on your character sheet go to the spell tab, press the i symbol to open the spell information. At the top of the spell information you will see a cog wheel, press it and that will open the setting tab for that spell. If you scroll to the end of the settings just before the "Done" button you will find to "fields" Class and Type. Enter the following information: Class: Feat Type: Fey touch If you do this for both spells you will see that when you lvl up the two spell will be selected but grey out and they will not count against the characters spells.