Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FF7 as a TTRPG - Looking for input

Introducing Final Fantasy VII TTRPG &nbsp; &nbsp; First off, I want to include another posting that had closed 6 years ago, along with tag several people as well. I don't know if hyperlinking their names will tag them so they can see this posting, but it is worth a shot. Just in case, I will PM them as well, just to be sure they see this. Former Posting: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1632385/new-ff7-based-ttrpg-system-looking-for-help-with-data-input-and-mechanics/?pageforid=1632385#post-1632385" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1632385/new-ff7-based-ttrpg-system-looking-for-help-with-data-input-and-mechanics/?pageforid=1632385#post-1632385</a> People of Interest: VeratiaGames &amp; Akira C. &nbsp; &nbsp; IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: This project is non-profile , using source material from Square Enix's popular " Final Fantasy " franchise. I, Porter Keeran, do not own the rights to any source material used in this project; All rights to source material belong to Square Enic Co. LTD , Please support the official source material. All source material being used for the project will be held under the Fair Use Law , allowing us to built this TTRPG as long as no money is made from it and all copyrights are give to the proper groups. I am not a legal expert nor do I claim to know everything about Copyright Laws; from what I have read, this project will not infringe on the original copyrights holders. &nbsp; This is non-cannon to the main plot/story of Final Fantasy VII but does include the original plot/story of the world, and once again this is a non-profit project. All rights Reserved to Original Copyright holders. With that said, let’s get to it. &nbsp; Before I get into the bigger part of this posting, just let me inform you that I am still new to GMing games but when it comes to putting together good story and putting together a world I feel pretty good at it. So please, bear with me if I make a mistake or use a term incorrectly. Now, on to the big picture here. &nbsp; What is “Final Fantasy VII”? A brief summarize of this game, and its connected games &amp; Movie, would not do it any justice but I will try. &nbsp; Final Fantasy VII takes place in a Steam-Punk Fantasy world, where magic and technology mix together to make a fantastic set of stories. The original game has you follow the main character, Cloud Strife, in his mission to help the Planet by fighting the Shinra Electric Power Company. In his adventures he ends up learning of a much darker plot, designed by a nightmare from his past. With the help of his friends, and several new friends he meets along the way, the party discover that the world as a whole is in great danger. Sephiroth, a former S-Class SOLDIER/War Hero/The nightmare from Cloud’s past, has returned and plans on summoning a large meteor to the planet and destroy it in the name of his ‘mother’, Jenova. The only way to stop him is to use a power Materia called ‘Holy’, which would use the Life Stream of the planet to fight back and destroy the meteor and Sephiroth. However, their only hope to call on this Materia is lost when a pressures party member is killed. The part goes to confront Sephiroth in the northern region of the world after they believe it is the only other way to stop him. They descend deep into the northern mountains to reach where Sephiroth is waiting for Meteor to arrive. After a long and difficult battle, Cloud comes face-to-face with the nightmare that had haunted him, and forced to fight him one-on-one. Cloud does prevail, and with Sephiroth gone the calls to Holy are finally heard and the Life Stream springs into action to destroy the still approaching Meteor. &nbsp; What happened after the Original Game? After the game, we fast forwards 2 years after the events of the game, we get into the Movie; Final Fantasy: Advent Children. A strange disease starts to show up called “Geostigma”, that has no cure. A link to the disease and Jenova, Sephiroth’s supposed mother, the remaining leader of Shinra reach out to the retired (now courier) Hero, Cloud. On his way to meet this leader, Cloud is attacked by 3 strangers who turn out to be Remnats of Sephiroth seeking Jenova’s recovered head to preform what they call a “Reunion”. Jumping ahead Cloud and the leader of the Remnants, Kadaj, end up fighting over Jenova’s head until Kadaj manages to get it after Cloud tried to destroy it. Pressing the head to his chest, Kadaj absorbs it and brings about Sephiroth’s return. Cloud’s friends arrive to help him fight, taking care of the summoned creatures the other two remnants made while Cloud once again goes one-on-one with Sephiroth in an intense fight that takes them into the remains of the old Shinra building. In the end, Cloud defeats Sephiroth, and Holy once again is unblocked letting a healing rain fall to cure the Geostigma and purging Jenova and Sephiroth from the world. &nbsp; We’re not done yet (it will be quick) Only a year later, the planet is once again put in harm’s way in Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus. While excavating the ruins of the old Shinra Electric Power Company, the World Regenesis Organization uncovers a secret that was bared deep under the Main building. A group of powerful SOLDIERs known as Deepground begin to invade towns and cities all over the world with the goal of awaking the final, and unknown until now, Weapon of the Planet; Omega. The story follows Vincent Valentine as he discovers more about his past and what he was turned into used the Choas Materia. Meanwhile, all his old party members fight to protect as many people as they can. Vincent goes head first into the fight with Deepground, and seeks out each leader and one-by-one defeats them. After Vincent defeats the leader of Deepground, he is forced to use the Chaos inside him and battle against Omega weapon, destroying it. &nbsp; When would this TTRPG take place in the story? Well, this is a much easier thing then it sounds; after everything so far. You can start the world less than a year after the Events of Dirge of Cerberus or farther into the future. That would be up to the DM for that, but all in all it takes place after the main storyline; personally I plan on putting that start of my own version 5 years after these events. &nbsp; Where do we go now? VeratiaGames made a quick rundown of what would be needed to make this project really happen, so I’m going to review some of the things they pointed out, though some isn’t fully needed to be explained, you can go and read their original post linked in top of this. &nbsp; The “To-Do” list: - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Game Mechanics: First and foremost, the system behind how the game works need to be visited and looked over. Combining the systems used in the original game and a simple system that can be easily understood for players and DMs. - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Battle System: Of course we are staying with the idea of it being turned based, like most TTRPGs, but we’d also want a system that acts like an “Action Point Gauge”. Something that would give the chance for players, with better stats over the enemy, to possibly attack a second time before the enemies turn. (Akira C. gives a good idea in using Action Points as the core to this battle system, instead of Inititive.) - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Stat Balancing &amp; Level Progression: From my research, the stats in FF7 raise with levels, giving the characters abit more power in select fields. This system would need to be changed or made abit simpler to make it abit easier to understand. This will also mean that experience gain will have to be done carefully as to being a balanced game. Where in the original game, characters would get a different EXP gain then another character, this new system with need to rebalance that. - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Item &amp; Equipment Overhaul: It is possible to pull a lot of items from the original game and bring them into the TTRPG, but that would be a very basic list. New items would will need to be designed to make things more interesting. This includes weapons, armors, accessories, and maybe even Materia and Vehicles. - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Character Creation: This I think will be the hardest part of this project. Most TTRPGs, if not all of them, have a Class system to help build a variety of character combinations. It is not easy to full understand the “classes” in the original game, but it is possible to bring in all the classes/jobs from the other games. Balancing them out however is where it becomes tricky. In addition, I think Skills and Features should need to be worked in to help better give that variety that I mentioned before. I way to add in the “Limit Break” feature needs to be designed too. - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; World Lore &amp; Design: Getting the lore of the past is fairly easy enough, but getting the lore for the time between the end of Dirge of Cerberus and the time this game starts will be the tougher part. Locations will need to be redesigned for maps and layout of the world after the destruction from the games and movie. - &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Monsters: We’ll need to look at common monsters in the world, and possible new monsters or enemies to add into the game as well as possible boss creatures/enemies that would make since with the rest of the lore of the past and present. &nbsp; That is it for what I have so far for this idea. If anyone wanted to pitch in and join me in designing this, that would be awesome. I will be making a Discord group for this project over the next week so that information can be share between contributors. For now, I’ll be checking in on this forum posting as often as I can. I hope to get feedback and look forward to working with anyone who wants to join in. &nbsp; In the meantime, Game on friends! Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
OP Here, certainly something we can continue, hopefully we can get more hands on deck though.
Awesome, OP is onboard. We're still looking for some help to make this happen. If you are interested, please PM myself or OP, we'll get you added to the project.
Bumping to keep this active. Still looking for people.
Porter K. said: Bumping to keep this active. Still looking for people. I am, for some reason, unable to write PMs at the moment. And though I am European and thus timezones will get a bit in the way, I can't deny that I am quite intrigued by the concept. As someone who has already created their own system by adapting elements of various others, I at least have experience that I may provide to this fascinating project. I will put my Discord here if interested for a small banter: Ray#6596
Ray said: Porter K. said: Bumping to keep this active. Still looking for people. I am, for some reason, unable to write PMs at the moment. And though I am European and thus timezones will get a bit in the way, I can't deny that I am quite intrigued by the concept. As someone who has already created their own system by adapting elements of various others, I at least have experience that I may provide to this fascinating project. I will put my Discord here if interested for a small banter: Ray#6596 Hey Ray, sorry I haven't posted anything back to you. Life had gotten abit hard for me and I had to take a step back from personal things. I am hoping you are still interested in joining our team, I've sent you an friends request on Discord, and will add you to the group after.
Im willing to join on for Monsters
Kain L. said: Im willing to join on for Monsters That sounds fantastic! We're still looking for more people, so our Discord is fairly dead right now. I will PM you with my user and I'll get you added to the discord.
bumping to keep this active
Porter K. said: bumping to keep this active keep this open
I don't know how much help I'd be. But FF7 is my all time favorite game. I would love to help and do what I can with this! Maybe even play when it's ready.
bumping to keep it live