Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Leveling up using premade D&D characters in Starter Set Module

Hi everyone, My friends and I are new to Roll 20 and D&D, so I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken with some of the terminology.  I'm the DM, I've purchased and applied the D&D Starter Set (Mines of Phandelver) Module, and have been using the pre-built characters with the module for the players' characters. The players are at a point where they are ready to level up.  We have tried using the charactermancer level up option on their character sheets but it does not seem to work (i.e. it does not work in a more automated fashion like I've seen on YouTube videos on non pre-built character sheets). With our module provided pre-built characters - is it possible to use some feature in our module to level up the player's characters?  Or do we need to manually edit the character sheets in order to have them level up.  I'm happy to provide more info if necessary and thanks for the feedback.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
More info would be helpful. What specific problems have you run into while trying to level up?
Sure.  So I've included some screenshots because that may help you diagnose my problem.  When I first go into the charactermancer, I always get the following screen (applies for other classes as well): At this point, I can't increase the wizard's class level.  It also won't load any information related to the wizard.  Sometimes if I click the back and next button, I will get the following screen: So that improves things somewhat (in this instance too - I manually selected the "Wizard (SRD)").  The arcade tradition drop down works.  However, the charactermancer won't allow me to use the roll/average features for the HP generator, though I can manually enter the HP okay.  Also, if I accidentally choose a subclass, it crashes the charactermancer all over again until I leave and relaunch the game.  Finally, adding spells later on works but is a little buggy i.e. sometimes it can be hard to select or unselect spells but seems to work okay.  FWIW I am using chrome as my browser throughout this process. Ideally, I'd want my players to do their own leveling but if the charactermancer is being fickle, I can do it all for them as the DM.  Any thoughts on what I could be doing differently?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have a feeling that the characters in the module were not created by the charactermancer, but hand entered, and may lack some critical field that charactermancer adds or fills. I imagine this was done to ensure exact agreement with wording and features in the published module. You may need to recreate.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No, I just loaded a copy of the campaign, and leveling up works just fine. Out of curiosity, you called it "Wizard (SRD)". The character in my copy is just called "Wizard". Was it labeled as such in your module? In either case, using control characters: (){}[]!@#$%^&*, etc in a character name is usually bad practice as it can confuse some macros and references. "Franklin (Ted)" may cause some issues.

Edited 1641503118
Thank you!  Removing parenthesis is an easy enough fix to try.  Let me give it a shot and I'll let you know how it works.  I'm working throughout the day so I may not get back until a bit later. Edit: I tried removing the parenthesis but still had the same problem.  I tried making a new character and parts of it were still glitchy but it was able to work in the end for the most part.  Anyway, thanks for the help.
I'm also wondering - could you share with me the parameters you used to create or load your module?  I'm curious if I did something incorrectly in the beginning that caused the rest of the game to not work properly.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No special parameters. Just created a base module with the Phandelver module. Out of curiosity, how old is your game? The base module was replaced a year or two ago. You should have the latest one unless your game is entitled as "deprecated" in the Marketplace title.
I bought the module about a week ago or so.  I didn't see it labeled as "deprecated" at all.