Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sheet Authors, Need Your Perspective!

John D.
Pro
Sheet Author
Calling on all sheet authors to provide suggestions and experience for a UI conundrum. I’ve poured over the forums, looked at character sheets for inspiration, and mulled over this design/UX challenge with no satisfactory outcome. So I’m turning to the community for assistance. Any and all feedback welcome! My use cases: Player can select one or more items from a list.  Player can see a summary of selections from the list. Player can remove one or more items from the summary. Acceptance Criteria The summary of selections is separate from the list. The method of removing items is not performed from the summary. The solution cannot leverage repeating sections, as the solution will be embedded in a repeating section. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I’m finding it difficult visualize what you’re talking about with the use case. Can you give an example?

Edited 1641698752
Gold
Forum Champion
I can't help with the code, but an example of that use-case as I understood it would be like grocery shopping, shopping cart, shopping list. Need to Buy it? BUY Already bought it? GOT "The method of removing items" The Grocery Store Has: "Items from a list" You still need to buy: "The Summary" BUY GOT Oranges Apples BUY GOT Apples

Edited 1641724098
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I guess what I'm struggling with is, in a repeating section, everything is related to a "row." The way this is set up you would have two identical lists that could be different (meaning different items selected).  I'm not groking why two different lists are needed if they are going to have the same options.  So, regardless, going on your example here's what I understand: Repeating Section Field 1 List of stuff (field 2) Item 1 Item 2 (selected Item 3 Item 4 (selected) Field 3 Field 4 Field 5 List of stuff (field 6, "summary" of field 2) Item 1 (can't select, because not visible) Item 2 (visible, can unselect) Item 3 (can't select, because not visible) Item 4 (visible, can unselect) Without messing around with it, here's the approach I would start with: Field 2 would be a multi-select menu (not sure Roll20 supports this, I've never tried a multi select field in a character sheet, so if it's not, it would be a series of checkboxes) Field 6 would be a series of checkboxes, regardless of how I configure Field 2. All these fields are hidden by default (using CSS) A sheetworker would watch for changes to Field 2 and when an item item is selected in field 2, it would select the appropriate checkbox in Field 6 (making it visible). If I select that item in 6, it would be hidden again (but field 2 would remain checked). Field 6's visibility would depend on the item being checked/selected. Edit: Re-reading the acceptance criteria again, I'm confused by this line:  The method of removing items is not performed from the summary. How are they removed from the summary? From the original field? Regardless, I would still use the above approach with one change, instead of displaying the checkboxes in the summary, I'd use named spans. For example: <span name="attr_field6_2> Or something like that.  You'd still need the hidden input fields so the span would be visible if the item was unselected. 
John D.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Gold and Finderski for your responses!  Sorry for the ambiguity, I did it on purpose to as not to lead the witness.   Perhaps I was too ambiguous? ;) I suppose I should have mentioned that the list would be nested in a repeating section and the summary would be displayed outside of the repeating section.  The list would essentially be a one-time configuration, but players should be able to reference their selections via the summary on a "main page". Gold, your interpretation is great!  I think that workflow is probably the way to go about it.  I'm less concerned about the how , so no worries there. Finderski, I have played with multi-selection lists before, a while back, but it was limited.  I don't recall how the data was captured if at all, but I believe ctrl-click worked to select/deselect items in a select list.  Not really good UX as it's not intuitive.  So that does sort of come back to checkboxes, I just get so tied of using checkboxes and fake checkboxes.  Would love for sliders to work, but last I looked into it they weren't supported.  I've been moving on to legit buttons, I suppose could use them in the list by making each item a button. Any other thoughts or ideas?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
So, based on Gold's suggestion and your reaction to it, it sounds like you're wanting to make a list of options that will be different for each character, and then allow players to mark things off as "selected/used/lost/etc" from that list which are then noted elsewhere. Personally, I'd probably do this by repeating the repeating section. Make each item a row in the repeating section. Hide the .repcontrol  for the summary list so players can't edit/add to that section. You can have different sets of attributes in each copy of the repeating section so that different operations could be performed on each of them. The only thing to watch out for here is if you were planning to use a radio like input in both because radios don't like being repeated.
John D.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Scott C!  Your suggestion is exactly  what I did with another aspect of my sheet!  :D I think the way forward is more clear now, and I just need to workout the actual UI design. Thanks everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate you taking the time. Happy New Year!