Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5e Sheets (maybe all sheets) - prevent mirroring of activity

As a DM, I sometimes need to look at one of my player's character sheets during the game. When I do so, their view of the sheet changes with mine - they can see that I'm accessing different sections of the sheet, expanding descriptions, etc., and that tips them off. Is there a way to toggle activity mirroring (or whatever you want to call it) so that one person with access to the sheet can move around the sheet without disrupting the other person's view? It's a great feature when you're helping a player through a problem, but it stinks when you're trying to do something without alerting (or confusing) the other player.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
It is exactly like changing the value of an attribute on the sheet.  When you change tabs, you are changing an attribute that dictates which tab is being shown.  So there isn't a way to "turn that off" without rewriting the sheet to not use a value to represent each tab.  If a sheet is made without that, it would also lose the ability to remember which tab you were on when you had the sheet open last. Depending on what you are trying to do or see, it might be worth creating a custom macro that will whisper things to you, or use an api script like ChatSetAttr to change values on the sheet without needing to have the sheet open.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This script and the two macros linked below can cue you into most data: Menu Maker 5e Menu Macros 5e Spell Filter
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Kraynic's got the right of it, although there are some newly released sheet development tools that actually allow us to make sheets that don't change everyone's view at once.
Thanks all - hopefully the new sheet development tools mentioned by Scott C. will help. Any idea if the Roll20-supported sheets will be updated to take advantage of that? I'm used to applications that separate data and presentation and allow per-user settings.