Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Display text based on dropdown menu selection.

I am a player in a D&D 5e game. We are not using Roll20 character sheets. I have been tinkering with the macro system and am hoping for some help. Currently, I have this code: /me rolls [[?{Roll|Standard, 1d20|Advantage, 2d20kh1|Disadvantage, 2d20kl1}+?{Skill|Acrobatics (+6), 6|Animal Handling (+7), 7|Arcana (-1), -1|Athletics (-1), -1|Deception (-1), -1|History (-1), -1|Insight (+7), 7|Intimidation (-1), -1|Investigation (-1), -1|Medicine (+4), 4|Nature (-1), -1|Perception (+7), 7|Performance (-1), -1|Persuasion (-1), -1|Religion (-1), -1|Sleight of Hand (+3), 3|Steath (+6), 6|Survival (+7), 7}]] on his skill check. This works fine. I know it's not the most elegant solution, since the modifiers are hard-coded, but as I said we're not using the Roll20 character sheets. So it is what it is.  I would like the macro to replace the generic "skill check" with the specific skill chosen. Is that possible?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
You can't use a single roll query to generate 2 different outputs short of some very narrow exceptions that run through a series of single-entry rollable tables. You'd have to include everything up to that fungible text in your roll query... so that your "on his skill check" portion could be individualized to each return. Incidentally, even if you aren't using the Roll20 sheet, you can get values off of any sheet... even the default/blank sheet. And if you are using a default/blank sheet, you could still add attributes for those Skill Modifiers and have your values dynamically retrieved. Is that not feasible?
timmaugh said: You can't use a single roll query to generate 2 different outputs short of some very narrow exceptions that run through a series of single-entry rollable tables. You'd have to include everything up to that fungible text in your roll query... so that your "on his skill check" portion could be individualized to each return. Incidentally, even if you aren't using the Roll20 sheet, you can get values off of any sheet... even the default/blank sheet. And if you are using a default/blank sheet, you could still add attributes for those Skill Modifiers and have your values dynamically retrieved. Is that not feasible? I can ask the DM about turning on the character sheets, but at this point I don't think there is any access to them at all. From what you say, it looks like the best option (without character sheets) is to have the macro call individual macros.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Yes, short of a script or a meta-script, that's the easiest. If scripts are available I can show you how to do what you want pretty easily.