Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

issue with tokens usable by all players and dynamic lighting

Hi in our adventure each player has access to all characters (coming from real life around the table play). this is OK in general if not for the fact that I realised each player has a vision on a map that is, basically, the sum of all characters!! It is then very difficult for them to understand what a specific character can see or not see. ctrl L does not seem to work for the players and I have no idea on how to manage proper visibility.. It seems I could manually bring all other non- in-turn characters on the map layer that preserves their light but not the vision but it is an hassle (maybe there is an API to move them back and forth?). or maybe I am not using properly the DL..... any help appreciated  dnd 5e standard sheet UDL and DM is pro user.... thanks Andrea
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In general, if a player has control over a token, and the token has sight, the player sees what that token sees. Giving control of all PCs to all players is counterproductive to the normal operation of DL. Is there a reason that you have given such control? There might be other ways to accomplish your goal. (And yeah, Ctrl-L is a GM tool)
keithcurtis said: In general, if a player has control over a token, and the token has sight, the player sees what that token sees. Giving control of all PCs to all players is counterproductive to the normal operation of DL. Is there a reason that you have given such control? There might be other ways to accomplish your goal. (And yeah, Ctrl-L is a GM tool) small group, some players with multiple characters to reach group size,  old friends (and quite old in general), being connected while wife or son is asking for help requires being there for audio but "please roll for me"... seemed a good idea but is not compatible with an adventure with low visibility!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If such visibility is important, you could try using a  Dummy Account  for each extra character. I.e. If I am "Bob Jones" playing "Rincewind the Wizard" and Cohen the Barbarian", I could log in as Bob Jones for Rincewind and make a dummy account called "Bob Jones 2" for which I could run Cohen. Run the Dummy Account in a private browsing window (or different Chrome ID) to avoid confusing the app. Otherwise, it's probably easiest in a small group to have everyone just role play while ignoring the meta knowledge.