Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Campaign with a Lot (200+) Pages - Will This Be An Issue?

I'm playing an obscure system (FGU's Aftermath!) and create all of my pages myself using marketplace and other purchases.  Over time, my campaign has grown to nearly 100 pages.  As I'm preparing the next phase, I realize it could easily double.  I could probably remove some but it's a sandboxy gave so I never know when players are going to want to revisit an area...which I encourage because creating pages takes a lot of time :-)  I read there are no technical limitations per se to the number of pages in a campaign but I'm wondering if I'm going to hit some performance issue?  Not worried about space.  Any gotchas with this many pages...or is this really not that many pages compared to some campaigns?   Also, any way to organize pages, other than manually moving them around and giving them prefixes in their titles?  I do wish we could have folders...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The rule of thumb for performance bottleneck is that you don't run into one until you do. There are too many variables to give a hard answer. However, for storage of less-used pages, I suggest using a  Library Campaign .
raindog308 said: I'm playing an obscure system (FGU's Aftermath!) and create all of my pages myself using marketplace and other purchases.  Over time, my campaign has grown to nearly 100 pages.  As I'm preparing the next phase, I realize it could easily double.  I could probably remove some but it's a sandboxy gave so I never know when players are going to want to revisit an area...which I encourage because creating pages takes a lot of time :-)  I read there are no technical limitations per se to the number of pages in a campaign but I'm wondering if I'm going to hit some performance issue?  Not worried about space.  Any gotchas with this many pages...or is this really not that many pages compared to some campaigns?   Also, any way to organize pages, other than manually moving them around and giving them prefixes in their titles?  I do wish we could have folders... Use the transmogrifier.  create sessions and use these other sessions like "folders".  I do this for a ton of things.  I have every single magic item in dnd as a handout and I assigned them to magic item tables then named sessions the magic item tables and then whenever an item is rolled to award, I yoink it from transmogrifier.  For maps, Their labels aren't seen by the players ever so I never saw a point in breaking up the sessions(folders) to store them in so instead I just have a naming scheme for them.  Biome/Special characteristic/number.  So I would have a CavePit1, and a CastleRuin1.  And cause transmogrifier always sorts alpha its easy to pick what you want.  No idea if this helps you at all.  Transmogrifier is a feature all pro users get and its at the bottom of the settings tab in misc.  
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I was going to suggest the Transmogrifier and a Library Campaign as well. Since you're a Pro user, you can transfer everything out of your campaign into another campaign (or copy your campaign, then delete everything you don't need), and then when you need things, use the transmogrifier and transfer them back in. You can keep your main campaign pretty lean this way.
GiGs said: I was going to suggest the Transmogrifier and a Library Campaign as well. Since you're a Pro user, you can transfer everything out of your campaign into another campaign (or copy your campaign, then delete everything you don't need), and then when you need things, use the transmogrifier and transfer them back in. You can keep your main campaign pretty lean this way. I dunno, I feel like getting a fresh session helps immensely in performance and copying doesn't seem to accomplish this for me.  I find that the best session is always a created blank game, I install all the scripts into the new session, then yoink over what I need.  It feels like over time the api sandbox tends to get less responsive, probably cause I've got a bunch of scripts that don't play well together.  Could just be anecdotal though.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's a tip for creating a new campaign for anyone who decides to go that route. Many scripts require running a macro to set defaults. Example: GroupInit. Keep track of these macros as you set up your next campaign, and copy them all into one Campaign Initialization Macro. This can make setting up subsequent campaigns much simpler.
I don't recommend blindly trusting large batch commands without being able to easily confirm they took.  Roll20's got an issue right now where it hiccups and abandons anything during the hiccup.  I've had parts of table imports abandoned, I've had half my multiselected npc group abandoned in group initiative rolls and I've had custom skill check imports in group check abandoned during hiccups.