Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFG - Returning Player (returning from 1984!) Looking for Group

Name is Glenn, not played DnD since it was called Dungeons and Dragons, and briefly Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in the early 80s.  Back when Cthulhu was in Deities and Demigods and Elric of Melnibone (who I named my younger son after) was in the Monster Manual. D&D was my first love, but life came along, and I left it to raise kids, take care of a family, build a career.  Now I find myself at 55 watching videos of it on YouTube and remembering how deeply I loved the experience of playing in a fantasy world with good people, many who became life long friends. Ideally I would love to return at the basic level, starting in a campaign at level 1, and seeing where the winds take me.  I thought long and hartevd about what I would want to play, and to be honest, always had a soft spot in my heart for Rogues.  The classic DnD rogue, black hood, pair of daggers, thieves kit, stealth, and a quick tongue.   With that said, I'm willing to try whatever the GM needs, but really do want to start at a low level, and ease back into the groove. About me - Live on PST time zone, have a career so weekdays are out, but weekday nights (PST) or weekends (anytime) work wonderful.  Fluent with technology, so can do audio, video, whatever might be required.  Not sure how this works as far as Character Creation when its done online like this.  Do I create one and bring it with me, or will that be done with the DM in the 1st session?  Either is fine, just tell me and I'm there. I like to think I accept any and all kind of people, with the exception of not liking to play with folks that are judgmental, demeaning, or that don't care about the impact their words have on the others they are playing with.  My goal is to make the game fun for everyone, not just me, and those are the kinds of people I would love to play with as well. Anyway, I'm rambling - thats me.  If anyone is interested and has a spot for me, reach out, and we can take it from there.  I can't tell you how appreciative I would be of anyone who helped me bring this first love of mine back into my life. I appreciate the time it took to read this, to get to know a bit about me, and to consider my application to join you in your world. Warm regards Glenn (a.k.a. Pinfold)
I have to make a smart-ass comment just about your thread title....which time machine did you steal to come back from 1984? The one made from Doc Brown? One from some dude called the Doctor? A woman with green hair in a mini-skirt called Sailor Pluto? A phone booth from a couple of teens called Bill and Ted? Some did from the 1800s somewhere? Did you steal a star ship from the Klingons by any chance?
I used my Galaxy Class star ship to slingshot around the sun, passing warp 10 which allowed me to move through time.  Wait… that trick only works to go backwards…  ok, I’m the Dr. and I used my big blue police box (another love of my youth, Dr Who!)  😀
Pinfold, I am in EXACTLY the same situation you're in, and basically the same age (so there, Jason -- we may indeed be a hidden horde, mwa ha ha). I have not played since 1981, started if you believe with Chainmail (the pre-pre-rules to D&D, started with the 3-book set, softback). I hope to be looking to join a group soon, so do let me know what kind of kind responses you receive, and if you find a perfect fit who knows, I might be willing to jump in. Your description of what you want in colleagues is right on: supportive, team oriented, respectful. 100%. Regardless, good luck, and I hope you're successful since I do, totally, understand your interest in reengaging. 
Hey guys I've been trying to put together some one-shots aimed at new players to 5E, and/or new players to Roll20. Be glad to walk you through character making, etc.  If either of you would be interested in that, let me know!

Edited 1642906211
Old DM here (started with Chainmail myself)...started it up again upon retirement. For you folks that are used to the old games and not 5e...well...it is very different.  I am DMing 2 groups right now and they are going well but there are some things you need to know about 5e... {old geezer} - 5e has been wimpified extremely.  This was something I had real problems with when I started out again after retirement because I had too much of the old values/mentality.  Old D&Ds were 'gritty fantasy'...5e is 'heroic fantasy'.  This means PCs have been elevated to superhuman status. - Gone are the days of searching out magic items and treasure.  in 5e, after a short bit, gold is worthless.  You do not adventure to obtain gold as you will soon be richer than almost anyone in the world.  The reason is there is nothing to really spend gold on.  Players get all their abilities for free.  Heck, even spells are free.  Training?  -- Free or mostly free.  The DM (like me) will fight this somewhat but the spirit of the rules pushes campaigns to have gold essentially worthless. - in older games you needed to adventure to find magic items to give you significant power.  Magic items really defined your power and were very important.  in 5e, you get powerful abilities automatically and the DM guide even says DMs are supposed to be miserly giving out magic items because...the players are designed not to need them!  (seriously, it says this). - So what do the players adventure for?  Many of the old motivations don't work anymore...but it is Heroic Fantasy now so the main motivation is to be heroic for heroic sake.  That's fine, I guess...but you might miss some of the old motivations.  On DM sites, there is a common complaint of players wanting motivation...the trope of 'The adventurer who doesn't want to adventure'...which, IMO, is an effect of gold being worthless and magic items having to be constrained. - Back in older editions...would you have DMs complaining to other DMs that they CAN'T kill their players?  Sounds nuts, right?  However, the players are so powerful with so many options you would have to go to lengths to even try to do so.  This makes DM encounter making less stress...just throw encounters at the players without worrying too much about balance because they can likely handle them.  You are probably used to DMs having to be very careful as you could easily TPK if you weren't careful. - Everything seems to be about balance.  Even now, having come to peace with Heroic Fantasy...I still do unbalanced encounters...but I can tell players are very used to defeating anything...so I have to start them out with unbalanced encounters so they get used to it early off...but some players just can't handle it. - There is an influx of a new (to us) type of player.  The RPer.  They don't really come from the same geeky background as us...but are more extroverted and like acting.  They even tend to not like combat!  Be aware of this as if you like combat/tactics/exploration you could find it boring.  Ask the DM before you start or you could spend a 4 hour session preparing for and attending a concert where nothing happens.  Seriously...was the most boring session (to me) of my life but the other PCs seemed to love it. {/old geezer} If you try 5e and find these attributes tiresome, there is a movement out there called OSR (Old School Renn.) not playing old games so much as they come out with new RPGs trying to get 'the grit' back.  Check them out. 5e is still fun, don't get me wrong...my current 2 groups are moving along swimmingly.  Just posting the above so you know. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me :)
sg181 said: Pinfold, I am in EXACTLY the same situation you're in, and basically the same age (so there, Jason -- we may indeed be a hidden horde, mwa ha ha). I have not played since 1981, started if you believe with Chainmail (the pre-pre-rules to D&D, started with the 3-book set, softback). I hope to be looking to join a group soon, so do let me know what kind of kind responses you receive, and if you find a perfect fit who knows, I might be willing to jump in. Your description of what you want in colleagues is right on: supportive, team oriented, respectful. 100%. Regardless, good luck, and I hope you're successful since I do, totally, understand your interest in reengaging.  Will do SG.  I think we will be able to find something quickly, got a lot of replies to read through.  I'll share if I find something that's a fit for us both. Pin
PeregrineFalcon said: Hey guys I've been trying to put together some one-shots aimed at new players to 5E, and/or new players to Roll20. Be glad to walk you through character making, etc.  If either of you would be interested in that, let me know! PF - I have gone through the into session for using Roll D20, have a few level 1 5e characters created on DND Beyond, fairly comfortable with the tools (although Discord is new to me, I'm learning it.) :) With that said, I would love a chance to do a 1 shot or play with a group of new players.  So anytime you want to do so, please, feel free to shoot me an invite on whatever platform is required. I am on PST, work Mon - Fri usually from about 7am to 5pm (ish), and can make myself available anytime, including weekends, outside of those hours. Appreciate the reply!  I think SG181 (replied above) would love to do the same, he seems to be in the same situation (and age bracket lol) as me. Glenn (Pinfold)
T S. said: Old DM here (started with Chainmail myself)...started it up again upon retirement. For you folks that are used to the old games and not 5e...well...it is very different.  I am DMing 2 groups right now and they are going well but there are some things you need to know about 5e... {old geezer} - 5e has been wimpified extremely.  This was something I had real problems with when I started out again after retirement because I had too much of the old values/mentality.  Old D&Ds were 'gritty fantasy'...5e is 'heroic fantasy'.  This means PCs have been elevated to superhuman status. - Gone are the days of searching out magic items and treasure.  in 5e, after a short bit, gold is worthless.  You do not adventure to obtain gold as you will soon be richer than almost anyone in the world.  The reason is there is nothing to really spend gold on.  Players get all their abilities for free.  Heck, even spells are free.  Training?  -- Free or mostly free.  The DM (like me) will fight this somewhat but the spirit of the rules pushes campaigns to have gold essentially worthless. - in older games you needed to adventure to find magic items to give you significant power.  Magic items really defined your power and were very important.  in 5e, you get powerful abilities automatically and the DM guide even says DMs are supposed to be miserly giving out magic items because...the players are designed not to need them!  (seriously, it says this). - So what do the players adventure for?  Many of the old motivations don't work anymore...but it is Heroic Fantasy now so the main motivation is to be heroic for heroic sake.  That's fine, I guess...but you might miss some of the old motivations.  On DM sites, there is a common complaint of players wanting motivation...the trope of 'The adventurer who doesn't want to adventure'...which, IMO, is an effect of gold being worthless and magic items having to be constrained. - Back in older editions...would you have DMs complaining to other DMs that they CAN'T kill their players?  Sounds nuts, right?  However, the players are so powerful with so many options you would have to go to lengths to even try to do so.  This makes DM encounter making less stress...just throw encounters at the players without worrying too much about balance because they can likely handle them.  You are probably used to DMs having to be very careful as you could easily TPK if you weren't careful. - Everything seems to be about balance.  Even now, having come to peace with Heroic Fantasy...I still do unbalanced encounters...but I can tell players are very used to defeating anything...so I have to start them out with unbalanced encounters so they get used to it early off...but some players just can't handle it. - There is an influx of a new (to us) type of player.  The RPer.  They don't really come from the same geeky background as us...but are more extroverted and like acting.  They even tend to not like combat!  Be aware of this as if you like combat/tactics/exploration you could find it boring.  Ask the DM before you start or you could spend a 4 hour session preparing for and attending a concert where nothing happens.  Seriously...was the most boring session (to me) of my life but the other PCs seemed to love it. {/old geezer} If you try 5e and find these attributes tiresome, there is a movement out there called OSR (Old School Renn.) not playing old games so much as they come out with new RPGs trying to get 'the grit' back.  Check them out. 5e is still fun, don't get me wrong...my current 2 groups are moving along swimmingly.  Just posting the above so you know. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me :) TS - Totally understand everything you said, and yes, I can tell the huge difference between the old school and new school.  What I like about the old school is you had to work like hell for anything.  I can remember at 5th level a +1 Long Sword being a huge accomplishment, and XP being based on either gold, or monster kills, and it took a hell of a lot of kobolds to go from Level 1 to 2.  That's when I created my 5e Characters I created them using the basics, no magic items, limited starting equipment, etc.  I think the hardest thing for me in the new world, is that in the old world whatever you said, your character said, and that made you choose your words carefully. Now it seems like you can say something, see the impact, and "take it back". With that said, I think there are some elements of 5E I adore.  An example, ARMOR Class.  Let's face it, THACO was a nightmare compared to AC now.  I also like ability checks, they keep the player engaged and needing to roll (out of combat) more often than in the old days. As for the "Heroic Fantasy", well, I prefer the old "Gritty" Fantasy, where you had to really earn every copper you had, vs. being handed bags of gold willy nilly.  With that said, there was always something about money in DND, and Video Games, that bothered me.  Here I am, trying to save the world from a source of evil that may kill you and all everyone you love, and you want to charge me for that shirt of mail?  lol.  But that's a tangent I'll skip for now. Really all I want, is to play.  Old school, New School, or a mix of both, I'm willing to give it all a try and a fair shake.  I think that old school can be done with the 5E ruleset, it's really up to the DM to make clear what to expect from the game play and world they choose to play it in.  I do miss the simplicity and grit of things like The Keep on the Borderlands, or Tomb of Horrors (well, not simple), but like I said, I'm willing to give everything a try now. Hope to play with you sometime soon. Pinfold (Glenn)

Edited 1643042252
Hello! I am from your era! I play in some D&D version 3.5 games - probably more what you were used to back then. It seems to be what you may be looking for. Let me know if you would like to chat on Discord. It is very refreshing to find players of similar age LOL!
Welcome back. You're not the only one with Cthulhu and Elric in Deities & Demigods (not the MM). 5e is weak-sauce and getting more watered down by the day. The last version of D&D with teeth was Pathfinder first edition. That's what you need to find. 
Hello. nice to see other older players coming back to gaming. T.S. - thank you for the breakdown of the differences between the versions of D&D that I’ve known and 5e. I haven’t managed to play 5e, mostly because I would read the discussions as characters were being suggested and it just didn’t feel like what I used to enjoy.  I haven’t read the 5e books, so thank you for that comprehensive explanation. 
The Slayer said: Hello! I am from your era! I play in some D&D version 3.5 games - probably more what you were used to back then. It seems to be what you may be looking for. Let me know if you would like to chat on Discord. It is very refreshing to find players of similar age LOL! Slayer - anytime man, love to chat, just learning discord.  Most of my play was before 3.5, was original AD&D, but I'm down for anything.  I do like some features of 5e, like simplification of AC (no more THACO!), but I'm not married to any specific system, so whatever works, works. :) Glenn (Pinfold)
AD_and_DM said: Welcome back. You're not the only one with Cthulhu and Elric in Deities & Demigods (not the MM). 5e is weak-sauce and getting more watered down by the day. The last version of D&D with teeth was Pathfinder first edition. That's what you need to find.  You're right, Deities and Demigods, not MM, lol - its been a while.  I loved Elric so much my younger son's name is Elric. :) There are a few things about 5e rules I do like, an example is the elimination of THACO and simplification of AC, as well as skill/ability checks which can keep people rolling dice even outside combat, but it does seem to be implemented by a lot of DMs in a more "watered down" heroic fantasy kind of way.  I prefer the gritty "work for what you get" of old school.  With that said, at this point, I'll try anything to get back in the game. :) Glenn (Pinfold)

Edited 1643136604
Folks: Thanks PeregrineFalcon, that sounds interesting -- I will wait to hear from Pinfold since he says here he's received a lot of responses. Re: Pinfold's description of his familiarity with 5e, once again I'm going to sound like a parrot of his, since I have (a) watched a bunch of content run under 5e and feel pretty familiar with the new rules, and (b) have played around with creating characters under 5e (in my case on the very good French site aidedd.org, using the excellent advice offered on classes/races provided by rpgbot.net). That said, I'll be a complete Roll20 noob, but I'm quite tech savvy so I don't anticipate problems. Re: TS's comments, thank you -- really -- for your analysis. I've noticed some of these differences myself as I've passively consumed content on Youtube, and while I am not a fan of extensive RP (and agree it can get boring), I must say that I generally really like the way the game has evolved since early ADD. I was a DM when I first started, and I look back at my (and the game's) immaturity, and the endless forays into dungeons, with no real option but to attack, kill, and collect treasure, now seems pretty limited in its dimensions. All of these reasons give me added interest in reengaging. Pinfold, how can we connect so I can hear about what options you've received? I'm in US ET by the way, as we approach coordination issues. Thanks to all for excellent, educational responses in this thread.  Pinfold said: PeregrineFalcon said: Hey guys I've been trying to put together some one-shots aimed at new players to 5E, and/or new players to Roll20. Be glad to walk you through character making, etc.  If either of you would be interested in that, let me know! PF - I have gone through the into session for using Roll D20, have a few level 1 5e characters created on DND Beyond, fairly comfortable with the tools (although Discord is new to me, I'm learning it.) :) With that said, I would love a chance to do a 1 shot or play with a group of new players.  So anytime you want to do so, please, feel free to shoot me an invite on whatever platform is required. I am on PST, work Mon - Fri usually from about 7am to 5pm (ish), and can make myself available anytime, including weekends, outside of those hours. Appreciate the reply!  I think SG181 (replied above) would love to do the same, he seems to be in the same situation (and age bracket lol) as me. Glenn (Pinfold)
Hello Glenn! Friend me on Discord and we can have some good chats :)  Still Mind#4368      Hope to hear from you soon!
The Slayer said: Hello Glenn! Friend me on Discord and we can have some good chats :)  Still Mind#4368      Hope to hear from you soon! request sent - won't be on tonight, mother in law is visiting this week, any change of plans from me and the wife will give me quite a beating! :)
Gold
Forum Champion
Welcome back to the hobby folks! I started-in on D&D Red Box basic, around the same-named year.  My main game on Roll20 is usually AD&D 2nd Edition.
Older player here myself 51. Just started back up last weekend with my old DM whose son is now the dm and 3 original players I played with as a kid. I’m on eastern time but would love to find some people and join on here. Feel free to contact me if anyone wants to start playing….
Beysville, sent you a message