Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Unable to individually select items; drag-selected items are auto-grouping

I’m working on the dynamic lighting layer and certain objects created with the polygon/line tool can’t be selected. (I click on and in an object with the mouse in select/move mode but nothing happens.) If I instead click and drag the mouse over the object, it’s selected — but so is some other object, as if I’ve drag-selected over both. This other object isn’t actually touching the original object (I’m not accidentally selecting both). This other object sometimes isn’t even particularly close to the object I’m trying to select, and closer objects remain unselected. This group of objects doesn’t appear to be actually grouped (right-clicking to ungroup does nothing), and shift-clicking on one or the other of the objects doesn’t unselect it. Zooming in sometimes makes it possible to select the object properly, but often doesn’t. In a view cases, I’ve had to zoom in to 100% to select an object that’s several hundred times larger than the mouse cursor. With the object properly selected, I’ve tried putting it to front in case the problem is some kind of overlap, but that’s had no effect so far. I normally run in Safari 7 on Mavericks, but checked in Firefox and got the same problems. The problem is particularly annoying because I’m working in the dynamic lighting layer to move around invisible light source objects and remove small blocking objects when doors are open. Selecting a group of objects means that I’m accidentally deleting lighting barriers that I don’t want to delete. Is this a problem for anyone else, and if so, is there any solution?
1407374296

Edited 1407374459
Gauss
Forum Champion
There is a known bug regarding selecting drawings at zoom levels less than 100%. The drawings "clickable area" is in a different location than the visual representation. If this sounds like this may be the same issue please let me know. If it is not I will investigate further. It also sounds like you are using drawings with multiple line segments. When possible use single segment lines on your DL layer and that will make them easier to "drag to select" without selecting other objects. The reason is that drawings with multiple segment lines are larger than just the lines. By selecting such a drawing and noting where the scalers (blue boxes) appear you can see the size of the object. A single straight line does not have this problem. If you need me to show some best practice techniques regarding the DL layer send me a join link.
As Gauss stated, I ran into this issue late last year myself. It can be very frustrating if you DLed an entire map or maps, and then later find it is a pain to move lines (for secret walls, doors, etc). Following his guidelines in the future can prevent it from happening again, unfortunately there is no "fix" for those you have already done except to redo them. :(
1408260752

Edited 1408261109
Thanks for the feedback; it sounds like the selection bug is likely the problem. A lot of the items I’m having trouble with are, in fact, single lines, though they’re angled (not perfectly horizontal or vertical). Thanks for the feedback.
1408267369
Gauss
Forum Champion
sfgray , please send me a join link and I will see if there are any suggestions I can make.