Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Links in popped out windows cause popped out window to crash.

Started having this issue just this week. If I click a link in a popped out, the link loads onto the roll 20 page just fine, but the popped out window gives me this message:  This site can’t be reached Check if there is a typo in  journal.roll20.net . If spelling is correct,  try running Windows Network Diagnostics . DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN I ran a Witchlight game yesterday and this is when I noticed it start happening. It was a slow game so I managed to work around it fairly easy. Tonight is my Rime game however and there are many links and it's going to slow me down a lot if I have to constantly close and re-open windows.  I'm using Chrome but have tried Edge and Firefox, all with the same issue. Please help! Game in 30 mins :(
I came here looking to see if anyone else was having this issue. I haven't found a solution, but yeah It's really frustrating.
Nice to know I'm not the only one at least. No replies worries me that it's not even a big enough issue for them to look into.
Just wanted to add that I confirmed that this is an issue with another DM I know as well. Does anyone have support for this?
Having the same issue now too.  Won't reload unless I close and open another journal entry and then reopen the original.  Maddening.  Can't keep up the flow of the game if I am trying to get the window to reload anytime I use a link.  
Still no word or acknowledgement from anyone. I'm surprised to be honest. This seems to be a major annoyance for people who use the links in popouts. I guess not everyone is experiencing it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What kind of link (url, api command, internal handout, or character link?) and what kind of popped out window (character or handout)? I'll see if I can duplicate.
Any of the location handouts for the DM and the links contained within said handouts. It's weird though because if I pop out an NPC card and click the link to the player handout for those, it works fine. I'm running Rime and Witchlight for reference. I know it's happening with ToA also.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can confirm this is what happens, but since I don't usually use popped out windows, I cannot confirm if this is new behavior. However, try holding down Control when clicking on the link. I'm only on my Chromebook at the moment, but that appears to open the handout in the VTT while retaining the integrity of the popped out journal.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If this is new behavior and the workaround is unacceptable, I would suggest capturing a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ) and filing a  Help Center Request .

Edited 1648693031
keithcurtis said: I can confirm this is what happens, but since I don't usually use popped out windows, I cannot confirm if this is new behavior. However, try holding down Control when clicking on the link. I'm only on my Chromebook at the moment, but that appears to open the handout in the VTT while retaining the integrity of the popped out journal. It is definitely new behavior. Maybe in the last 2 weeks or so? Thank you for taking the time to confirm. I just tried the CTRL-click and that also works! Thank you very much. Makes my life so much easier. Edit: Will also capture those logs and send them on. Could be something that leads to other issues. Also, what is it the CTRL-click does that bypasses the issue?

Edited 1648694923
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Normally that tells the browser to open a link in another tab (alt-click on a Mac). Not sure how that interacts with a popped out window, but I thought it was worth a try.
It does work to open the window in roll 20 and keep the original popped out window intact. However it also opens a new window in the browser that contains the error message of the original problem. It's a workaround that I can live with but at the end of the night I'm going to have a lot of crashed tabs to close lol. Either way, thank you so much for the suggestion. I can get by now.
Andy P.
Marketplace Creator
@Andy1976 I started having the same issue as you around the same time @keithcurtis Thanks for this workaround-- it was making me nuts! Is there a way to bring this to the dev's attention? Ctrl+click is a decent workaround, but not a fix; having a new "server not found" tab open every time I follow a link from a journal isn't ideal.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Andy P. said: Is there a way to bring this to the dev's attention?  Collect a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ), and file a  Help Center Request . You might not get an immediate response (especially if it is not a simple fix, but it will create a ticket, and that ticket will sit there forever until resolved, niggling and biting the dev team whenever they think they can take a break...
Eve
Roll20 Team
I'd like to just say thank you to everyone who reported this. We have a ticket open to investigate further and a pretty good idea of the likely root cause. The information you all collected here was invaluable to me when creating that ticket for our dev team. At this time I don't have an ETA for when it will be fixed. Currently our recommended work around is to use the steps Keith posted until a true resolution is available for the issue.
Control click on a link in a popout window opens a tab in same window where the VTT is running, and this new tab shows the same error message (cannot connect to server) - the desired link does not get opened anywhere.  I'm running Firefox on a Mac.

Edited 1651100294
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Spencer! On Firefox on a Mac, I get the following behavior: From an in-game handout, popped out into its own window Click: Opens link in same popped out window Option-Click: Nothing Shift-Click: Opens the link in a brand new window Control-Click: (This results in a popup menu on Mac, of course)     New Tab: opens in a new tab in the original VTT window     New Window: Opens in a new window     New Private Window: Only takes you to the link if it is something freely available (You aren't generally logged in in a PBW) From a Compendium Window, popped out into it's own window (different behavior is noted in italics) Click: Opens link in same popped out window Option-Click: Opens link in same popped out window Shift-Click: Opens link in same popped out window Control-Click: (This results in a popup menu on Mac, of course)     New Tab: opens in a new tab in the original VTT window     New Window: Opens in a new window     New Private Window: Only takes you to the link if it is something freely available (You aren't generally logged in in a PBW) Check to make sure you were using control click. On a Mac that results in a Contextual Menu, not automatically following a link. You'll see that my post above was for a Chrome Book (and presumably Windows), and that I specified an option click on a Mac. Actually, I said Alt-click, but the Mac Key is marked with the same symbol, and those Mac users with a third-party keyboard will often only see Alt.
Thanks for the detailed reply.&nbsp; Let me try to describe in more detail what I'm seeing now (which did not happen prior to ~one week ago).&nbsp; This is all taking place in Firefox running on a Mac; ad-blocking, Ghostery, VPN are all turned off. From the VTT (in a Firefox window - call this the prime window) in which I have launched the Princes of the Apocalypse game I click on one of the entries in the Journal such as "Rivergard Keep".&nbsp; This opens a new Firefox window (<a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/popout" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/popout</a>) showing the correct text etc - call this the original popout window: 1) Click only case When I do just a click on a character link from the original popout window, I see within that same popout window the error message "cannot connect to server at journal.roll20.net".&nbsp; But if I click on a non-character link in the original popout window I get both the correct new popout window (showing the expected text) and still see the same error message "cannot connect to server at journal.roll20.net" within the original popout window. 2) Option click An option-click has no response from any of the links in the original popout window. 3) Shift click A shift-click on a character link in the original popout window only generates a new window showing the error message "cannot connect to server at journal.roll20.net" (and the original popout window is unchanged).&nbsp; A shift-click on a non-character link from the original popout window generates both the correct new window and a second new window showing the usual error message "cannot connect to server at journal.roll20.net" (and the original popout window is unchanged.) 4) Control click A control-click on any kind of link in the original popout brings up the usual dropdown menu.&nbsp; Then in this menu selecting "open in a new tab " or "open in a new window" generates similar results:&nbsp; a new tab in the *prime* window which shows the error message "cannot connect to server at journal.roll20.net" and leaves the original popout window unchanged. In summary currently I see no way to generate a popout window for a character page from the original popout window.&nbsp; It is interesting that I can get the correct popout window for a character page if I click that character's link as displayed in the Journals tab of the prime VTT window. thanks again, Spencer

Edited 1649702737
Eve
Roll20 Team
Hey Spencer, First off, thank you so much for such detailed information. I'm passing that along to the dev team now since I believe it's working slightly differently on Mac OS than it is on Windows. That said I'm unsure if there's going to be a viable workaround available for you from what you've said. The way we've seen it work so far is that CTRL+Click on a Windows machine causes a new tab to open which still fails to load but it also opens the handout from within the VTT. It's important to note that the handout is not opening as a popped out window when this happens. The primary value of this workaround is that it prevents you from being pulled away from the handout you were opening the link from.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Spencer! All of the links I tested were to Compendium entries. I had not considered clicking links to handouts or characters specific to the game. Hopefully between us we have covered everything! :D
Thanks Eve.&nbsp; I suppose a workaround for me is that I should be able to get the desired popouts (for characters, places, etc) individually/directly by clicking on the link in the Journal tab in the main VTT window.&nbsp; Right?&nbsp;
Eve
Roll20 Team
Yes, that is absolutely a method that will work. If you know exactly what you're looking for I'd recommend taking advantage of the search tool in the Journal tab as well.&nbsp;
The Ctrl+Click work-around is not working 100% for me on Win10 Chrome with Pathfinder 2e Sheets, running Agents of Edgewatch. Some hyper links (for example to another part of the same dungeon map), open fine within roll20 if Ctrl+Clicked but they do have the superfluous window popup with the server disconnection issue. However non of the monster/npc links will open at all, even if I Ctrl+Click it just crashes the dungeon page and I have to reload everything.&nbsp;
They managed to break links in one update and then DL in the next. Awesome.
OK, also noticing the Ctrl+Click is not&nbsp; working any more either.&nbsp; Running on WIN 10 and Chrome with D&amp;D RotFM sheets.&nbsp; Can't access any token stats in text links or the opened windows crash.&nbsp; These needs to be fixed ASAP or I am done paying for Pro membership.&nbsp; Its been over a month now.&nbsp; Not cool.

Edited 1651102144
Robin P. said: OK, also noticing the Ctrl+Click is not&nbsp; working any more either.&nbsp; Running on WIN 10 and Chrome with D&amp;D RotFM sheets.&nbsp; Can't access any token stats in text links or the opened windows crash.&nbsp; These needs to be fixed ASAP or I am done paying for Pro membership.&nbsp; Its been over a month now.&nbsp; Not cool. Yup. Workaround also not working now lol. So frustrating.&nbsp;
Eve said: I'd like to just say thank you to everyone who reported this. We have a ticket open to investigate further and a pretty good idea of the likely root cause. The information you all collected here was invaluable to me when creating that ticket for our dev team. At this time I don't have an ETA for when it will be fixed. Currently our recommended work around is to use the steps Keith posted until a true resolution is available for the issue. Status?&nbsp; So is this being worked on or not?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Hello roll20 this is significantly slowing done my game style. How is the fix coming along?
No response at all from anyone at Roll20 for over a month to inquiries on this.&nbsp; Stopped my Pro membership.&nbsp; Not worth the money to be ignored.&nbsp; Sad.&nbsp;&nbsp;
So, I guess this is still just a thing that is going on? I've done everything in this thread and it is still happening. Quite frustrating. Hope a fix is in the works.
So this is a thing that did not happen before a couple of months ago. Then it started happening. And there's no way to fix it? We just have to hope a workaround will suffice? Fix it. It worked two months ago! People have been complaining about this since MARCH.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
People have been reporting the inability to re-engage the chat panel in Chrome since October. Of 2020. It seems that some things cannot be easily fixed.
I have having the same issue and have been for over two months.&nbsp; It is very frustrating as I like minimizing popped out windows since I run a very complicated Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign at higher levels so I need lots of windows open and minimized for my sanity.
This issue makes running modules purchased from Roll20 hard to run.&nbsp; When you crash all open windows when you click on a link it stalls the game and makes it really frustrating.&nbsp; I bought several modules and now they are way less usable.&nbsp; Even more disturbing is there is now absolute radio silence on what is being done or not done on this issue.&nbsp; I had a Pro membership for years and ran several campaigns and there is zero Roll20 interest in talking about this issue.&nbsp; They took my money just fine but there is no interest in supporting their platform.&nbsp; When my RotFM campaign is done I will be done with Roll20.&nbsp; Will loose all my purchased material but the links crash issue and lack of support mean I am cutting my Roll20 loses and moving on.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1653581162
This is significantly slowing my games down also. I have 2 monitors, the second of which I bought specifically so I could play and run games with popped out windows for Roll20 lol Now I have to run without popping out the main parts of the adventures. Pretty frustrating. Even the original ctrl-click workaround doesn't work anymore.
Hey gang, we've just released a fix for this, so in-app journal links should work properly with popped-out windows now. Thanks for your reports and patience!
Jeff L. said: Hey gang, we've just released a fix for this, so in-app journal links should work properly with popped-out windows now. Thanks for your reports and patience! It works again! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Huzzah!
I am so glad to see this has been fixed
Jeff L. said: Hey gang, we've just released a fix for this, so in-app journal links should work properly with popped-out windows now. Thanks for your reports and patience! Thank you for all your hard work on this!