Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[HarnMaster3] More user feedback requested, mobile view

Edited 1649014571
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Harnmaster3 players. I've added styling via a media query to try and make the sheet more readable on a mobile browser. In our group we use phones to keep our digital character sheets with us, and the mobile app doesn't really work yet.  To get some sections on the screen, such as the missile weapons, I chose to hide some info (such as the extra ranges beyond short). As I only have one phone I wasn't able to do extensive testing. The extra styling is only used on mobile browsers so I thought it wouldn't interfere with "normal play". This will be available once my pull request is merged.  [HarnMaster3] Styling - Mobile browser view by olafvantol · Pull Request #10427 · Roll20/roll20-character-sheets (github.com)   Looking forward to your feedback.

Edited 1649091333
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
From a quick test, using that code made it feel like there was zero optimization for mobile, but maybe I had the wrong code. Can you share a screenshot to let us know what to expect? And should we expect roll results be displayed on the phone, or is that still broken? Screenshot from my test: Really glad there are folks work on mobile optimization, despite how little we got from roll20 on how to do so. If you have any insights, please share them on the community docs: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Mobile" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Mobile</a> EDIT: testing the live sheet, the unoptimized sheet has a much better zoom level, and is what I'd strive for to fix, rather than whatever ended up happening with the update. What made you decide on those media query conditions? Did the suggested " @media only screen and (max-width: 480px) " from the docs not work out for you? <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Mobile" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Mobile</a> @media only screen and (max-width: 1023px) and (min-resolution: 117dpi) { body { font-size: 36px; /* enlarge font on high-dpi mobile devices */ } } @media only screen and (max-width: 1023px) and (min-resolution: 117dpi), only screen and (max-width: 480px)

Edited 1649099695
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Andreas, thank you for the time to check it out. I realise I didn't explain properly: I gave up on making anything for the mobile app (see also&nbsp; Community Forums: [HarnMaster3] Help needed - adjusting sheet to mobile app | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop &nbsp;). No data was loading into my test sheet and it's just really hard work without a sandbox that can emulate the mobile app somehow. I also ran into the issue that my tab buttons didn't work.&nbsp; What I did now is: Goal : Our group is playing around the table again now that Covid has more-or-less passed. We like the convenience of the digital roll20 sheets, but we just used it as an alternative to paper sheets. Dice rolling happens with real dice. Ideally we don't all have our laptops with us, but can quickly see our sheets on a mobile phone. What did I do: I tried to target mobile browsers on mobile phones. My own phone has a (portrait) resolution of 1080 x 2400. Many modern phones have higher resolutions. Hence my attempt to target "only screen and (max-width: 1023px) and (min-resolution: 117dpi)" .&nbsp; I then moved everything to a single column layout, and made the basic font-size larger to be readable on these high-dpi screens. I also added some spacing in places to make it more touch friendlt. See attached screenshot on what it should look like. I changed the tab button styling so they're not relying on "hover" effects anymore as these don't work on a mobile device.&nbsp; I had a stab at hiding some information in mobile view (fx the very wide "missile weapons" section) to see how that would work. I struggled to combine repeating sections with a clever grid "re-flow" (fx from 24 colums to 6 colums over 4 rows or something). What I didn't do: Since we're rolling real dice, I didn't pay attention (yet) to roll button interaction. Verify the media query on more devices/browsers. I only have one phone and unfortunately mobile emulation in browser "developer tools" ( Chrome DevTools - Chrome Developers ) which has been my friend doesn't work with the character sheet in sandbox. I am aiming this at the "pop-out" character sheet, trying to view the sheet on the VTT on mobile just doesn't work. What I tried I thought, based on a quick previous check, that the mobile app was responding to the media "max-width: 480px" query. So I tried to set the larger font size only for mobile browsers (max-width: 1023px AND min-resolution: 117dpi). I see now that the mobile app actually also picks up the larger font-size, which is unneccessary (it somehow sets a better zoom level for the character sheet by default). With the lack of information I have stopped putting time in the mobile app for now. I'm hoping the bulk of the layout work (single column etc) can copy over easily in the future once we have more information to work out other kinks.&nbsp; For now what I've done is useful for my group. I was mostly curious if other HarnMaster players see any value in this, hence my post.&nbsp; PS: If you see value to have this as a more generic "what can we do on mobile devices thread" I could move/rename this and we could continue the discussion/exploration elsewhere.&nbsp; PPS: I realise now while sharing the screenshot that the tab header takes up a bit too much space, I'll tweak that to be single line.&nbsp;
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I missed the part about thing being for the mobile browser , and assumed you where talking about for changes to work with the Mobile app. Thanks for the writeup! Didn't realize mobile browser was still a viable option, but I think sheet dev aimed at either has a bunch of overlap, and can help each other. For now what I've done is useful for my group. I was mostly curious if other HarnMaster players see any value in this, hence my post. I was aware of that, but due to how rare any mobile-optimized sheets on Roll20 still are, I had to ask what you've done that might be generally. Won't ask more, but will spectate what you do with the sheet. Will try out the mobile browser and see if there are major differences to the app for the other handful of mobile-adapted sheets.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Won't ask more,&nbsp; Please feel free to ask more and add your insights. As long as we both have a shared understanding of the context any discussion can only lead to improvement.&nbsp;
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey Andreas, I did find out something as I was playing with media queries (I had to adjust them as I was accidentally targeting high dpi laptop displays too, such as Macbook Pro and MS Surface Pro): Based on the wiki it seemed the mobile app was identified by "max-width: 480px". I adjusted my media query for the enlarged font and succeeded in not enlarging the font for the mobile app: @media only screen and (orientation:portrait) and (min-resolution: 192dpi) and (min-width: 490px) { body { font-size: 36px; /* enlarge font on high-dpi mobile devices */ } } @media only screen and (orientation:portrait) and (min-resolution: 192dpi), only screen and (max-width: 480px) { &nbsp; *mobile styling for app and browser, eg single column layout * }
David
Sheet Author
I don't know how this looks on mobile browsers but on desktop browsers it is nearly impossible to read the tab text in light mode.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you David, I'll check that out. In my browser it looked okay, I'll try to figure out what they issue could be
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
I've fixed the issue, pull request submitted.
David
Sheet Author
Olaf said: I've fixed the issue, pull request submitted. Thank you much appreciated.&nbsp;