Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pinnacle Entertainment, Copyright Issues

So, on my front page I just noticed that Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds: Rise of the Runelords! Book 2 – The Skinsaw Murders was for sale. Now, beyond a few issues, such as it being advertised as book 2, book 4, and book 1. Isn't this a copyright violation? I can't find anything about Paizo allowing 3rd party resell of licensed material, of which the AP is.  I also can't find a proper "Report Seller" button. 

Edited 1649628067
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi John! Pinnacle has licensed the material from Paizo. This is a partnership endeavor. Here is one of their announcements . Edit: and a Forbes article on the team-up.
Thank you very much, I couldn't find anything and was worried about it. Now that I know it is legit I can safely buy it. The descriptions are still a bit messed up, but hopefully that is just temporary. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Generally, gaming companies with an IP or who handle IPs, such as Pinnacle, Green Ronin, and others, have legal representation and counsel. It would be business suicide to try to do something like this without it. If you recognize the name, it's almost certainly legitimate. If you recognize the name and it's for sale in more than one place (Roll20, DriveThru RPG, Pinnacle's store, Fantasy Grounds and others), it pretty much has to be.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
John R. said: So, on my front page I just noticed that Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds: Rise of the Runelords! Book 2 – The Skinsaw Murders was for sale. Now, beyond a few issues, such as it being advertised as book 2, book 4, and book 1. Isn't this a copyright violation? I can't find anything about Paizo allowing 3rd party resell of licensed material, of which the AP is.  I also can't find a proper "Report Seller" button.  John, can you link to what you're looking at? When I look at the description, I only see a reference to Book 2 (Book 1 is a completely separate item, also on the Marketplace), but I don't see an issues in the description, myself.
Sorry for the late reply, the book 1 thing is gone, but essentially the problem is the description for the book: "After slumbering for millennia, Runelord Karzoug woke in the depths of the lost city of Xin-Shalast. Unable to travel far from the source of his power, he conscripted the stone giant Mokmurian as his minion, but Karzoug demanded more. Enslaved giants were well and good for war, but they lacked finesse. Karzoug needed more subtle agents to provide him with both intelligence on this new world and souls to fuel his return to power. He turned his attention to the monstrous creatures that had claimed sections of Xin-Shalast during his long sleep. Of all these, it was the lamias with whom he forged the closest bond. The Skinsaw Murders is the second book in the six-part Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path" These are book 4 events, not book 2. Book 2 takes place before you know about Runelord Karzoug.  Finderski said: John R. said: So, on my front page I just noticed that Pathfinder® for Savage Worlds: Rise of the Runelords! Book 2 – The Skinsaw Murders was for sale. Now, beyond a few issues, such as it being advertised as book 2, book 4, and book 1. Isn't this a copyright violation? I can't find anything about Paizo allowing 3rd party resell of licensed material, of which the AP is.  I also can't find a proper "Report Seller" button.  John, can you link to what you're looking at? When I look at the description, I only see a reference to Book 2 (Book 1 is a completely separate item, also on the Marketplace), but I don't see an issues in the description, myself.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, Pinnacle controls their marketplace copy, not Roll20.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
John R. said: Sorry for the late reply, the book 1 thing is gone, but essentially the problem is the description for the book: "After slumbering for millennia, Runelord Karzoug woke in the depths of the lost city of Xin-Shalast. Unable to travel far from the source of his power, he conscripted the stone giant Mokmurian as his minion, but Karzoug demanded more. Enslaved giants were well and good for war, but they lacked finesse. Karzoug needed more subtle agents to provide him with both intelligence on this new world and souls to fuel his return to power. He turned his attention to the monstrous creatures that had claimed sections of Xin-Shalast during his long sleep. Of all these, it was the lamias with whom he forged the closest bond. The Skinsaw Murders is the second book in the six-part Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path" These are book 4 events, not book 2. Book 2 takes place before you know about Runelord Karzoug.  Thanks! 😀 keithcurtis said: AFAIK, Pinnacle controls their marketplace copy, not Roll20. Yeah, I’d asked for specifics so I could pass it along. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well hush my mouth. :)