Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Module creating: Linking to a different module's journal?

Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Im making an addon that is related to a previous module I made. I expect those who buy the addon might not necessarily buy my previous module, or they might add the addon to a game not based on my previous module. In the addon I have some references to lore or locations in the journals of my previous module, and would like to link to those journals (in the event the addon is added to a game based on my previous module) What happens to those links if the user doesn't have the previous module, or the addon isn't attached to a game based on it?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, links won't update like that. An add on link would not point to an existing module link. The only workaround I can think of would be: You want to link to "Loredoc" in the module. Make the addon without the :Loredoc" handout, but put [Loredoc] in the text. It won't convert. Addon gets added to the module game. It still doesn't link User opens the referring handout in edit mode and saves Handout should now build a link to the handout Loredoc in the module game. Not very intuitive or automatic, but I think they only way it could work. In general, I'd suggest just doubling up on the Loredoc handout. It would be annoying for purchasers of both to have both in their game, but handouts don't take up a lot of resources, and the links would come prebuilt. I'd just make sure to give the handouts different names. "Loredoc" and "Loredoc: Adventure Name" or somesuch. However, all that being said, contact the Marketplace Manager and ask if any tools exist that might help you do this.

Edited 1650346713
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hmmm .. ok slightly different follow up question: I know that using an "External Journal" hyperlink, I can build a link manually by attaching the last ID part of the address to this: http :// journal.roll20.net/handout/ So as an example this: (fake link as an example) https :// app.roll20.net/campaigns/journal/5418888/handout/-LwTTJYddcHjHFsa8888 Turns into this: http :// journal.roll20.net/handout/-LwTTJYddcHjHFsa8888 Then use that as the link in the journal. If I use that process for the previous module but add the link to the addon, will that produce different results since it is using an actual link address?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's above my level of familiarity with the system. Interesting though. I'll see if I can round up some smarter people than me to look at it.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
If you actually want the links to work with zero effort from the user, you would transmogrify the target handout into the game you are building, make the link, and delete the handout. If the user has added the addon to a game made with the module, the link will work, otherwise the link will do nothing. Making a link with the autolinker will make the link work both in game and in the external journal. This might confuse the user, so you may want to add a convention in the handouts where the links are surrounded by {curly braces} to show they are special. You can then add to your "How to Use This Addon" handout what is signified by a link surrounded by curly braces.
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thank you for the replies. I am implementing a setup I think will work. Though, I won't be able to fully test and confirm until the addon is done and released. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for the insight and the technique, Brian!