Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

roll20 on iPad

Edited 1650766988
I haven't tried to use roll20 on my ipad in years.  Unfortunately tonight when I tried, it was a complete disaster.  There's an app but it only contains character sheets and is pretty useless for playing.  I tried to open a game in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on the iPad and all three had the same behavior.  It opened the game and cycled through the little sayings like "hatching dragons" and kept doing that until I finally gave up and closed the browser. Is there any way to use roll20 on my iPad?  
I was in a game last night and 1/2 of us were using ipads to play on roll20 and half were using laptops.  Those of us on the ipads had the same problem as the OP.  I tried 3 different browsers and restarting the iPad twice with no improvement.

Edited 1650896712
Safari/WebKit is not supported by Roll20. Making matters worse, recent macOS and iOS releases default to using a buggy WebGL 2.0 via Metal implementation which causes the exact loop you are seeing when you visit a Roll20 page with UDL enabled. (Though it wasn't supported I used Safari up through Big Sur and it handled Roll20 just fine. No longer with Monterey.) All browsers on iOS use WebKit. There's another possibility; there was a turn order bug floating around a while back, and I'm not sure if that is cleared up or what. Maybe someone can chime in. But the fix for that was clearing the turn order and reloading.

Edited 1650937443
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I am able to Launch all the games I run and play in on my iPad Pro 10.5” but none have have LDL or UDL enabled. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can launch a game on my iPad, but I sure wouldn't want to play on it. Sloooooooooooooow. Of course, it's an older iPad, but still...
Ok I can confirm it definitely is related to lighting.  I had to change it back to Legacy lighting and not only each map, but each token had to be changed as well. Everything loads fine on the ipad once that was done. I guess this needs to be turned into an official bug report or something so they can fix it.  What do I need to do to make that happen?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can make a report by filing a  Help Center Request . But I can't duplicate this.
I can also confirm that it's a dynamic lighting issue. Changed it back to legacy lighting on both the map and the tokens and it finally fixed the issue. We can actually play now!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I can launch a game on my iPad, but I sure wouldn't want to play on it. Sloooooooooooooow. Of course, it's an older iPad, but still... Weird, I revisited this this morning. Not only did the campaign load in pretty much normal time, but I switched to a DL page with no lag. I will admit there were a few anomalies in the GM view, but more in the way of weird gray shadows, that muddied the display a bit, but not to unreadability and only for one token in one spot. But in player mode? I could drag around a token in real time without issue. I have no idea what makes the difference.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's a screen recording of my iPad experience. I assume this is not what others on this thread are seeing?

Edited 1651361947
Older versions of iOS will work as usual. Only recent versions of WebKit on iOS or macOS have the problem. A possible workaround (other than reverting to LDL) is to go into the browser developer settings and uncheck the WebGL via Metal option. It seems to work for Roll20 though I don’t recommend it as I have seen problems with other sites when this flag is unset.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, that's likely it, then. This is an older iPad running iOS 14.71. I'll test with my wife's newer iPad later. My Mac OS is current though, with no lag issues on Chrome or Firefox, using default settings. Safari (unsupported browser) however, is indeed borked. Turning off WebGL via Metal does indeed fix it. Good info, Jim R., thanks ! For those looking to turn this feature off in Safari, Enable the developer menu, you will find it in the sub menu for Experimental Features. But in the case of Mac OS, I'd recommend switching to a supported browser. To turn it off on an iPad (where browser choice does not actually exist—they are all "Safari in a trenchcoat"), I haven't tested yet, but this page may be helpful.