Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issue with Token Bar Values for npc_ac Not Displaying Properly (Roll20 5E OGL NPC sheet)

Description of setup Chrome Version 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)   All addons/extensions disabled Windows 10 Step 1: Same issue with Firefox 100.0 (64-bit) Step 2: All extensions/addons disabled, all API scripts disabled Step 3: Cache cleared, same result I am using the Roll20 5E OGL NPC sheet for my game.  I’ve got the Bar 2 Attribute set to “npc_ac” in the Default Settings, and it has worked for months of game time.  Recently I’ve noticed that when I drop a token on a page it will not display properly. Example:  This appears to occur inconsistently as well.  Some tokens I drop display the npc_ac properly, some just come up blank. Any help with this is appreciated.
If you choose "npc_ac" for bar 2, what happens to the fields before the selection? if those are not filled it means the attribute behind it is either empty or was not set yet. Try Editing the AC field in the token sheet. If this does not help and since you use the official Roll20 Sheet, you might want to post this issue here as well:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10096810/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q2y2021/?pageforid=10845320" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10096810/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q2y2021/?pageforid=10845320</a>
This has been happening for me too on occasion, with Monster Manual creatures, using the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 character sheet. I haven't figured out yet what makes the issue appear, but toggling Bar 2 to something else, and then back to npc_ac, solves it.
Sarah R. Cohen said: This has been happening for me too on occasion, with Monster Manual creatures, using the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 character sheet. I haven't figured out yet what makes the issue appear, but toggling Bar 2 to something else, and then back to npc_ac, solves it. Really strange... does it happen only on specific monsters and consistent? Or is it pure random?

Edited 1651776425
If I figure out the pattern I'll let you know! My monsters have been behaving themselves lately. After one of the updates (I forget which one), an existing monster, that had been working fine, lost their AC bubble, despite Bar 2 being assigned to npc_ac. Toggling fixed it. I'm pretty sure there was a second instance ... I didn't pay close attention since it was easy to fix. There has been another forum report of a monster's ac bubble disappearing, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Edit: I spoke too soon; my monsters are *not* behaving themselves! Please see my reproduction steps with a new game, below.
Hey Spider, Could you provide some additional information on what is happening? Ideally we want to be able to reproduce the issue on our end to further investigate and create necessary development tickets. What is the name of a game you are seeing this behavior in? Does it happen in ALL games or just specific ones? Have you tried replicating this in Incognito/private browsing? Does this tend to happen on specific pages or maps? Can you provide a breakdown of the steps you are taking when this happens? I realize this may sound redundant but making sure we are following along as closely as possible helps a great deal! I am hoping this will help us dig in further to what may be going on here!
TheMarkus1204 said: If you choose "npc_ac" for bar 2, what happens to the fields before the selection? if those are not filled it means the attribute behind it is either empty or was not set yet. Try Editing the AC field in the token sheet. If this does not help and since you use the official Roll20 Sheet, you might want to post this issue here as well:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10096810/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q2y2021/?pageforid=10845320" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10096810/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q2y2021/?pageforid=10845320</a> Changing bar 2 to a different attribute and then back to npc_ac does produce the desired effect.

Edited 1651773262
Drespar said: Hey Spider, Could you provide some additional information on what is happening? Ideally we want to be able to reproduce the issue on our end to further investigate and create necessary development tickets. What is the name of a game you are seeing this behavior in? Does it happen in ALL games or just specific ones? Have you tried replicating this in Incognito/private browsing? Does this tend to happen on specific pages or maps? Can you provide a breakdown of the steps you are taking when this happens? I realize this may sound redundant but making sure we are following along as closely as possible helps a great deal! I am hoping this will help us dig in further to what may be going on here! I first noticed it in my "Waterdeep the City of Splendors" game.&nbsp; I've just checked and it is also happening in my "Tomb of Annihilation" game. I've just tested it with Incognito mode with no change. It can happen on any page in either game. As far as steps, I login, I drag a creature from the journal and drop it on the map producing the token, the blue bubble for bar 2 is empty even though it is set to npc_ac and the NPC character sheet has a value for npc_ac. Edit: Corrected name of game "Waterdeep the City of Splendors"

Edited 1651778532
Here are my own reproduction steps: Firefox 100.0, macOS Catalina 10.15.7. No extensions. 1. Create a new game. I made one called "Test Game" and chose the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 character sheet. 2. Drag a goblin out from the compendium, thus creating a character in the journal. The AC displays just fine for me after this step. 3. Close the brower. (I have Firefox set to delete cookies and site data when I close the browser; an equivalent step would be to clear cookies and site data manually.) 4. Re-open the browser, launch Roll20, launch Test Game. Drag the goblin out from the journal. For me, the AC bubble is blank, although npc_ac is still assigned to Bar 2. Edit: Please note that the attribute npc_ac is correctly set, despite not displaying in Bar 2: This is not specific to a goblin; the effect happens with a rakshasa too, as well as with Kobold Press creatures. More edits: 1. Same effect in a private window. 2. In both a private window and a regular browser window, I have experienced spontaneuous restoration of the Bar 2 display on new instances of the goblin, dragged out from the journal. I have not been able to predict the spontaneous restoration, or determine what causes it. 3. I can reliably reverse the spontaneous restoration by closing the browser, re-launching the game, and dragging out the goblin from the journal. 4. Thank you, Drespar! *Opening the token settings* of the monster with the bad display is the key determinant of whether or not the new instance dragged from the journal will have a correct display or not. If you *do not* open the token settings, new instances will have an equally bad display. If you *do* open the token settings, and then drag out a new instance, both instances will have their display restored. That explains my spontaneous restoration. (When I'm trying to actually fix the display, toggling the Bar 2 assignment is the workaround that is most reliable for me.)
I will add; It was happening in my three active games; Frostmaiden (Monday), Frostmaiden (Wednesday) and Empire of the Ghouls, but after checking, only happens in EotG. dragging a MM1 tagged token from journal results in empty bar (npc_ac assigned to bar 2) dragging a token specific to EotG (not in the compendium) does not have this problem dragging a MM1 tagged token from Compendium (where there is no sheet in the journal ) does not have this problem

Edited 1651778146
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Thank you all for the screenshots and insights! I've been able to reproduce this on my end but it was in fact very inconsistent. It only seemed to really start happening after refresh. From there, I could temporarily alleviate the issue by opening the token settings and dragging out a new token. EDIT: This workaround seems to also be inconsistent based on number of tokens, when you refresh, and what tokens are present before/after the refresh. I am passing this along to our QA and development teams to take a closer look at what is happening.
I am experiencing the same issue.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, glad I saw this thread. This has been happening to me for quite some time (several weeks). Thought I was going crazy and had kept "messing up another character sheet". Just happened to me again last night. Not sure if the same bug or just related, as I find that the AC on the character sheet itself is blank and has to be entered in again. I don't have repro steps because it seems random and I always just notice it in the middle of a game I'm running.&nbsp; Following...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
ditto
Have also seen this bug in recent days.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Any update on this?
This is happening not only in 5E games, but also in 3.5E, for instance. I have issues with the "armorclass" variable of my PC's. When i pull them into a new page of the campaign, the tokens lose the assigned value. It forces me to add it again on each of the new pages for each character token, each time i pull them on the map. Really annoying!!!! (It didn't happen before, just recently, perhaps about 2 months ago).

Edited 1657513314
Gauss
Forum Champion
For those folks having a problem with this, are you dropping the tokens on the map before you open the sheet the first time?&nbsp; One person I spoke to suggested that this may be a Lazy Loading issue, where the stats on the token are defaulting to some earlier version and not pulling the current numbers from the sheet because it has not been opened yet. Not sure if this is the case, but it seems to explain the behavior.&nbsp;
DM Anubis
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Been hapening to me only when i drag a creature from the game if i add one from the compendium it works fine, Once I fix the ac by changing the bar to something else and back to npc_ac it works fine until i restart the game. Then the ones i placed are still good but new ones are the ones messed up
&nbsp;Simple description for TLDR readers: Sometime this past week, dragging monster tokens from the Journal in a module causes the token bars to randomly lose settings/stats. This bug seems to have cropped up for me since the weekend. Did NOT happen in prior week, as I GM and spend a lot of time developing/updating multiple games in R20. During that time, I have NOT changed browser settings, system settings, prayed to an evil god, stepped on a crack ,etc. ( &lt;.&lt;&nbsp; Not sure about the last one ...). I commonly use Firefox (v. 103.0.1) but checked the same issue on Chrome and it occurs there too, so it is not a browser issue. The one add-on I used in Firefox is not used in Chrome (Shiny) which replicated the issue, so it is not a browser add-on issue. What happens?&nbsp; In many of my modules, I had prepared maps and encounters ahead of time with the 'monsters' in place either on token or GM layer ready to salivate &amp; slay as needed. This weekend, I began running the continuation of a game that I had not run for months, so took some time from mid-week to set up several new maps, and that was fine. Started the game Saturday afternoon (2 pm EST) and noted there were some 'glitchy things' going on, but that seems more common recently, and was not a huge game problem, aside from a few open-mike GM "Huh"s and unintentional profanity (Ok, you can call it Infernal if you like to stay in character). Then we had a sudden 'wandering monster encounter' (yes fellow GMs, it was really a 'poke the players to move' moment - ssshhhhh) and I tried to drag a little Ghoulfriend onto the map to come out and play. But I suddenly noticed that this ghoul was hitpoint-less, armor value-less, and had no perception at all. Ok ... they are sometimes a little confused in bright light. The token was still linked to Ghoul and I had not changed any game settings. Found that more &amp; more of the tokens I pulled from the Journal would pop in with a mix of missing bar values (little bubbles about the clicked tokens), some completely empty, others randomly empty. I usually use the defaults and one addition: hp_max for Bar 1 Value and for Bar 1 Max (default) npc_ac for Bar 2 Link (default) passive_wisdom in Bar 3 Link (my setting so I can click the token to see if MY NPCs/Monsters can see the sneaky lil' stealthing players who try to sneak everywhere they walk) Note: these all worked in different games last week, just fine. Nothing changed in the game setting-wise between populating the maps and Saturday's game. I thought I would reload the token from the Compendium. But that token showed exactly the same problem. Missing bubbles (BUBBLE THIEF! I used perception and did not find one - darned stealth is TOO good). Next, I DELETED the monster token saved in the 'Monster' folder in the Journal and re-loaded the monster from the Compendium (slow, painful process, but I wanted him to grow up right). Moved him back into the Monsters folder (sorry for profiling the new arrival) where he could talk other player-hating creatures. For the rest of the day's session, he worked fine. I dragged him into several maps as an occasional heckler just to see if it worked. After the game ended, I replaced several of the most frequent knuckle-draggers so I would not have to take time in the midst of combat next time to Miracle-gro them from the Compendium mid-fight. Sunday, I began working on next week's maps and discovered the ones I had reset were once again errant. So this morning I thought that perhaps the Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse and ending of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes and Volo’s Guide to Monsters on May 17th MIGHT have affected the creatures that I had stored in the module last fall. So I set to replacing ALL the creatures with fresh ones (still had that 'New Monster' smell) to avoid even more DM frustration in having to re-re-re-enter the bar data every fight. Made the mistake of closing Roll20 to grab a bite to eat, and darn it, that Bubble Thief (maybe gremlin?) has done it again. Alright then. Things have gotten serious! I compared my bar settings to a generic module like 'Lost Mines of Phandelver'. NO difference aside from me adding passive_wisdom. I checked in Chrome in both games and tried pulling tokens. SAME problem! The poor ol' &lt; SPOILER AHEAD &gt;&nbsp; owlbear from Phandelver is also missing his marbles ... err ... bubbles ... . Now for those of you who are super sleuths and a bit jaundiced, The Phandelver module has NO add-on (APIs), no Macros (that were not there on load), there aren't even any characters yet, poking their noses into Sildar's business and have not even stepped onto the High Road. So this is not an issue that is unique or caused by my more heavily adapted module. So what's a GM to do? I know. Some of you will say, well if the Monsters in the Compendium still work, use that. I am on fiber (FINALLY) and on a gaming machine that can run every game I have tried without lag or fps issues. Even then, pulling a monster from the Compendium takes a long few seconds when your players are breathing hard waiting for the next 'What was THAT?' massacre moment. Dragging monsters from the Journal is usually much faster (and retain the changes I made to the tokens).&nbsp; I use them for Wandering Monsters encounters (players spoil mindful walks a LOT, no wonder the monsters are irritated when they find players), dream segments, "Whoops, the players killed that too fast/easily and I don't have time to make another map/encounter", summoning something from somewhere unexpected (don't worry, I use PG-13 bubbles until we establish the summoned are discretely attired), etc. I hope this is a quick fix and thanks for helping catch this heinous Bubble Thief! I appreciate that Roll20 is making some real strides to make great changes, but having played/GMed for a few years, in Roll20 now (an embarrassingly longer non-VTT), it is stressful enough to balance story, rules mechanics, VTT mechanics, chat, and player chaos in addition to sudden unexpected changes/bugs in the game. I feel like you were better in the past at communicating changes to Pro subscribers, and while I don't need another email box filling 7x daily update like some businesses do, it would be great to get an update once a week with major changes and known bugs. Searching the forums is a nightmare without a searchable date range to narrow things down to recent posts. Sorry if this is duplicated somewhere else. I checked ... but if I missed it, I blame a poor perception roll, not intent. Rock those dice rolls! Note - Moved from independent post since I finally found this one. Really wish Forums were more easily searched. Hope they find this bug and squash it.
This is still occurring, and seems more frequent. Also having issues with player character tokens suddenly resetting hit points to 1st level for no reason. We are all guessing at what 'might' have caused it on different computers and connections, but the fact is that we are each experiencing these. These issues are not unique. Others are posting about this in scattered fashion, and there is a lot of speculation, but no real response from R20 for months. Instead, we get an unannounced, poorly tested CSS style update that added more bugs to the anthill. I hope more people spot these token bugs and encourage R20 to aggregate these reports and address them. Searching the forums is (and has been) a pain in the rear due to poor search engine mechanics and lack of date indexing. Submitting another bug report to find out that there were many others of similar nature buried in the forums is disappointing. I did some testing above. It would be great if a Roll20 I.T. member would respond . Forum champs are great, but some are just dismissive because they have not yet experienced the problem or can't reproduce it. Four months ago, I wasn't experiencing this either, for what it is worth. The token bar issues occurred again for a GM in a game that I play in on Wednesday nights, and that resulted in a 15 min discussion of moving to other platforms, that I did not start. It is increasingly frustrating in my own games as DM. Pre-game prep is a big deal. It takes time, testing, and passion for DMs to create and run games for others to enjoy. Not being able to count on the base system being stable 2 days after you prepped and checked your content is maddening. Sadly, the platform seems to be moving toward an unpredictable buggy state . When I was running yesterday (Saturday, 20 Aug), we had tons of lag. Using the [SHIFT]-Z to illustrate tokens resulted in a permanent 'working symbol' in the map page forcing everyone to conduct webpage reloads. The ZOOM feature in handouts seems to have disappeared (magnifying glass) unless I enter huge graphic files (account eaters). I have players losing connections during games; MOST are on high-speed connections and are using game rigs so it is not a user resource issue. As a GM/DM, having to repeatedly reload your webpages mid-game (and then re-open the character/npc sheets/handouts which lag along each time ) to conduct combats is getting old. It was not happening a few weeks ago. The 'Link URL' tool in the handout text editor is still practically invisible , even after they fixed the Forum one. Add to that the on-going issues with using Jukebox leading to player lag, animated elements dragging the lag out further, etc. this is really beginning to disappoint, not just frustrate. I am tired of seeing some great Marketplace content offered (and paid for) that barely functions on the tabletop because it slows the game down for multiple players. Some of these issues were not occurring earlier this year in some of the same games I am running now with no changes to my system, internet provider, or Roll20 Marketplace assets and tool sets (APIs &amp; macros) that worked just 4 months ago. Disabling the APIs and avoiding macro use to create 'vanilla' games does not seem to make difference to this issue. And, with respect, before a Forum Champ leaps to your rescue, I do my best (given the often murky code-lingo laden docs and tangled Forums) to test and update my macros and APIs between games when I detect a problem. Some of the champs trying to tell everyone how hard it is for Roll20 to manage changes given the old platform base or blaming issues on R20's agnostic game philosophy does not help. I know some of these folks are great contributors, but minimizing player's and GM's problems is not useful to the posters OR the longevity of R20 customer service. One of the frequent Sheet Creator posters is often just dismissive if the complaint does not bother him/her. There is no way for US to rate the good ones (e.g.: keithCurtis) from the bad. I know R20 relies on the 'free to play' model to draw customers from its increasing competitors, and I really appreciate that, having joined that way a while back. I also applaud the attempt to move developments forward (PDFs, transparent walls /windows, tool tips), etc. but when the basic functionality of a VTT begins to quake, it makes me want to lay down the GM role entirely or head to another platform. If that happens, I will take my assets elsewhere and drop my Pro account. A quick scan of the LFG channels shows there is an increasing loss of game masters. An agnostic game platform will fail when enough GMs get tired of the drain to play.&nbsp; Your platform increasingly forces a GM to become a Java coder, an I.T. tech, web-developer, end-user tech support, YouTube addict, and 8-armed octopus, to use recommended PAID Pro account functionality lures (lighting, process automations, etc.). If I pay a plumber to come and fix the faucets in my home rather than DIY'ing it, I would not expect them to walk through the door, hand me a mish-mash collection of tools (in varying condition), unorganized instruction manuals and spec sheets, and a desk reference of other DIY plumbers to contact if I have a problem. I want to be able to walk to my sink, turn it on, and wash my hands with hot water. Attempting to keep players engaged in the story , the whole point of a social RPG, is an increasing chore when a GM/DM is having to manage assets (shifting layers with clunky macros, bouncing constantly from map to token to character sheets (crawling to open), constantly re-sizing tokens that are accidentally misshaped when moving, guessing when your APIs crash and keeping a page open for restarting them, flipping back and forth with CTRL-L to attempt to see what a player is seeing (or often NOT seeing), digging to find the random tables stored in a long unordered list, dragging assets on the board that may or may not retain settings, and periodically refreshing pages and clearing caches just to get the bugs chased back under the cabinets. I can't tell you how many times I, and GMs I play with, get lost in Roll20 mechanics and can't follow what the players are doing ("Can you ping the one you want to hit again? I was still trying to adjust the HP one the last one, but it deleted its number and ...") It is starting to remind me of using a Word Processor in the early 1980's, where every style (italics) required 6 digit codes entered among the text and ASCI code charts to get anything done. Most of us returned to our typewriters until better user interfaces were developed.&nbsp; If it gets to the point where the only thing that I can count on here is a plain map and tokens, and perhaps a mostly functioning character sheet, I will head to D&amp;D Beyond and some of the other systems that at least make that stable. The D&amp;D 5e character sheet and Charactermancer are great tools (even if the spell portion lags out and badly accounts for class/level related spell slots in apportioning available spells). Pushing more games through the Marketplace with only poorly implemented Compendiums (D&amp;D 5e is still a spaghetti mess) and partially functioning Character sheets is really dampening the 'New Game' feel and frustrating to those who bought games months back and are struggling to see basic help (i.e.: Starfinder ). Please spend some time before the next Roll20Con stabilizing what you have, before you continue to push new content straight into production, creating even more Epimethean problems. I was glad to hear you have new CEO and remember many of the promises made last Spring, but was disappointed to hear how some of the R20 leaders are so inexperienced in RPG s in general. In social RPGs (not video game driven engine MMORPGs), it is important to make the GM/DM tools and support as easy as possible if you want more players. And if you advertise bells and whistles for a price, they should play like a Stradivarius, not K-mart blue-light specials. We should not have to obtain I.T. certificates and follow YouTube gurus daily to L2P since many of the game systems we run already require a lot of mastery.&nbsp; We are the ones who buy the PRO accounts and Marketplace assets so a lot of players can 'play for free', so increasing our stress will cost you more. I would love to hear, though I know it is a huge capital investment, that some of the windfall from the Covid quarantines is being used to develop a new, modern platform, so that by the time D&amp;D One releases, or Foundry/[Add VTT name here] change to a hosted model, there will be a reason to remain here. Adding spoilers, lifters, and a great sound system to a Model-T, that cannot even power them reliably, will leave you with nothing but a museum piece. Please assign some people to the Bug Exterminator Squad asap!
And today we are being told that there are no problems at all ... see Roll20 post.