Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Arrow pointing direction of the token

Hi, here a suggestion that I see it has been discussed and proposed many times, but never came to an implementation. First of all, I am not a native speaker of English, so please bear with me if I make grammatical errors. Secondly, let me give a context to evaluate the suggestion: I master and play D&D games, so I'm referring to the possibilities of the rules of this game. In a lot of situation, is useful to keep track (to avoid continuosly ask players) in wich direction a character is facing. For example, just two that I recall now: when an unseen threat is behind someone, or when someone is busy engaged in a combat, the DM can act in different ways to establish if the target is being surprised, and/or the DC for the check to evaluate the surprise ambush. Now, think about a very simple feature: in the token window, add a checkbox "Show facing" (not checked by default) that, if checked, enables\shows two combobox: one with the system of coordinates and one with the direction (whose values depends on that one chosen in the previous one). System of coordinates: a) "Squared" (or better name): 8 directions (towards 4 cardinal points and 4 intermediate between them), useful using squared grid or without grid b) "Hexagonal" (or better name): 6 direction (towards 6 sides of the hexagon), useful using hexagonal grid or without grid When picking one value, the combobox with coordinates values popolates with appropriate values. When choosed one, a little arrow (size, color, style etc is on you) appears toward the choosen direction, in an appropriate position related to the token and\or it's eventual cell. Consider, also, when the checkbox is being checked for the first time in a token window, the possibility to preselect the system of coordinates in the related combobox basing on the active grid type for the map (ie: preselect hexagonal if there is an hexagonal grid, or sqared in all the other cases). A simple feature like this can greatly facilitate the DM's job when planning to attack a creature with surprise (advantage roll in D&D 5e) without asking the direction, and also avoids to completely spoil the intention. The player can set the arrow direction after each movement\turn, for example when is into combat, or in general when it's position is important, like waiting or guarding or spying, etc. It's useful also to clear to players, in combat, where the attention of the character is, and how in some situation is obvious that a character is surprised (or it can't see something particular when being distracted\engaged\busy when taking some action). So, here it is. Thank you for the attention.
Token facing is a very interesting topic. Not all tokens have an obvious facing, especially when players snip a piece of art instead of some top-down token. One thought on facing is to have a directional arrow overlay that can be turned on/off. Then the player or GM rotates the token to indicate the facing. Adding a stylized directional indicator as a ring to token tools would accomplish the same thing. A simple system for more casual play will likely get more use.
+1 In standard 5E D&D, facing is an optional rule, and at least anecdotally many people seem to play without it.  But both I (as DM) and all of the DMs I play under use facing.  Back when I used metal minis glued to carboard bases, I'd mark one edge of the base with a marker to make facing clear.  When I moved my game online, I used a graphics program (Photoshop Elements with layers makes this easy) to add a simple arrow to the tokens, showing the facing.  But since I don't want to edit that many tokens, I only do it for PCs and important NPCs, and for most monsters I (and my players) have to infer facing from the orientation of the image, which is less than obvious a lot of the time. It's clearly not a must-have thing, but it would be very useful if a visual indicator of token facing were provided for those of us who use that rule.  The could be an icon (like an arrow) or a tint on one side, or something else.  For me, anyway, its knowing which side is "front" that matters, not how its done. And you'd probably need to have two facings defined, one for square maps and one for hexes, because the same game could use both (indoor and outdoor maps, for example).
+1 I like your idea. It could be as 'easy' as adding a > shape to the token border with a click. I prefer facing as well since it impacts things in the real world, so always like to have that reflected in-game as a DM. Also, found out a while back that if the token image has some directionality to it (nose, weapon, etc.), you (and players) can hold the 'E' button down and use the mouse roller (if you have one) to rotate the token 45 degrees at a time. If you hold ALT-E (PC, I forget IOS version), you rotate the token slower. At least that will give some direction to facing. I did not see a Plus or Pro account flag on your account, but thought that I would mention that in Updated Dynamic Lighting (UDL) you can select 'Limit Field of Vision' (see below) and set the field of vision that tokens can use. As long as you aren't in Daylight Mode (see all non-barrier restricted areas) or Explorer Mode (continue to see all areas previously explored), you can use this to limit what the character is viewing, allowing things to sneak up from behind, etc. It might work with those as well in limiting vision angle, I forget. Most real humans have a 135 degree field of view horizontally (around 180 with peripheral vision) and 180 vertically. So when trying to play realistic in the dark, I can set that in UDL on the character's token (below). Then, I can have critters approach from behind without being seen, though I usually roll a passive perception check (D&D) modified to see if the character hears/smells/senses something coming. Some of my players really like this and others, not so much. Unfortunately, the Hold 'E' rotate can get a little laborious at times. Most agree that when running a spooky campaign, it adds to the fun. Here's what it looks like from Player perspective (Clicking CTRL-L while on the token): Great idea. Your idea would definitely help when players should be able to see the whole map and you need to mediate what they would notice. Happy gaming!
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .