Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API scripts not working at all

Edited 1652226933
I just upgraded to a pro account, and am trying to enable ammo tracking in my game, which uses the roll20 D&D 5e character sheet. I've followed all the instructions I could find, and the API output console shows: "-=> Ammo v0.3.11 <=-  [Fri Jun 12 2020 13:48:05 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)]" However, none of the attacks I set up are decrementing the associated ammo values. One of the troubleshooting steps recommended is to type !5estatus into the chat and verify that the output is correct, but typing that does nothing. Typing !ammo <whatever I want here> does nothing. Typing !<any_sequence_of_characters_at_all> does nothing. No output appears in the chat or the API output console for any of those. No errors appear in the API output console when I click on an attack that's supposed to decrement an ammo value. Is there some sort of global "API enabled" option I need to turn on? I looked through all the settings pages I could find and didn't see anything like that, but I may not be looking in the correct place. I've tried logging out and back in to the game, and to roll20, I've tried re-joining as a player, I've tried restarting the API sandbox. None of that changed the behavior. Any suggestions appreciated!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It sounds like you are talking about two different scripts. There is a script called "Ammo", which is on 3.1.2, but the "!5estatus" is part of the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion script. Which one have you installed? FWIW, I have had a lot of trouble recently from the Companion script as well. It's possible that they may conflict: there's a note in the wiki for the Companion script that also alludes to ammo problems.

Edited 1652391940
You're right, I hadn't installed the 5th Edition OGL Companion script; I assumed that the 5e character sheet had its scripts already incorporated, but that they just didn't work unless you had a pro account. Now !5estatus works, and says ammotracking: on . It turns out that the problem is that I don't need the separate ammo script, and it does appear to conflict with the 5e companion script. Just having the 5e companion script by itself works. Further confusing things, the 5e companion ammo tracking feature doesn't seem to work if /talktomyself is active. Thanks for the prompt that got me to look in the right place!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Whew! FWIW, no API calls work when /talktomyself is on. The API is very similar to another player, so it can't "hear you".
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
This is where using a Library Game for your player characters and/or monsters can help. You can troubleshoot in that game without disturbing your active game at all.
Andrew R. said: This is where using a Library Game for your player characters and/or monsters can help. You can troubleshoot in that game without disturbing your active game at all. I just have a character with detect thoughts on their character sheet and spam its spellcard a few times to clear live chat.