Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

QoL suggestions

I have been using roll20 since 2013 and there are a few issues that have been around most of that time. I initially wrote them off as the quirks of a neat startup software that will eventually get ironed out, but here we are almost 10 years later and they're still around, and still bugging me on a weekly basis, so i thought i would toss my hat into the ring in hopes they see the light of day at some point. Token defaults for characters not updating when token attributes are changed: Attach a token as the default to a character, then change the attributes on that token once its on the page. say...its vision radius, whatever stored values you need in the 3 bubbles, the nameplate, etc. Make a new map page, and drag the token out from the journal, none of those new settings have been saved. Why? Maps snapping to 1x1(or close to it) grid cell size even though you're on the map layer: You have a blank page, you select the maps and background layer, you drag a map image onto the page and it snaps down to the smallest possible size for its ratio to fit to the grid cells. Again Why? Now i have to resize it by tugging it around before I can even think about using the resize tool which gets you close, but never quite there so you have to tug it around a bit more to line things up, but its snapping, and your map file has a border before the grid starts! Why is the ignore snap feature toggle labeled "is drawing" ? This is just a UI labeling nag that has always bugged me because i have answered the question of "how do i turn off snap for my maps" to dozens of new DMs over the years. It's just unintuitive Selection performance?...detection? . Whichever word you want to use here, the issue is that If you have more than one thing, heaven forbid a scribble with the brush tools, on the same layer they are almost impossible to select. This comes up a lot in minute-to-minute play, and is a huge annoyance because people will cast things like wall spells or maybe there's an environmental effect that needs to be marked out. If you put those marks on the token layer it becomes a pain to select tokens or the notes to remove them. If you put it on the map layer you end up selecting your map itself half the time and nudging it around which breaks the lighting. "But just lock the position of the map" well that doesn't solve the problem because it still thinks you clicked on the map so you get a giant padlock icon on your screen that never fades away instead. Inconsistent click and drag from menus: If you are in the image menu for instance, you can hover over an image, see the triple line hamburger handle show up, then click and hold on that handle and drag the image onto the page no problem. If you click over to the character journals though and try the same procedure, the character token never appears on the page. You have to click on the text of the character's name, then drag it onto the page. Game Default Settings Location: Glad these exist but took me years to find them because there's no way to get to them once you're in the editor. A link to these inside the editor would be great, and the inclusion of voice/video options for them would be even better. We usually decide beforehand if we are going to use discord, skype, slack, etc to manage video and voice so being able to remove that headache for everyone ahead of time would be great Dynamic Lighting: I know this has been iterated on...probably the most out of any feature in roll 20...but still needs some love. Maybe? I put this one last because my headaches with it are largely the items listed above. namely that 1) im constantly having to fuss with token settings for sight because they don't update or save. 2) fighting with just the selection to do things like remove a door from the lighting layer or 3) (hypothetically if im a new user) constantly reapply the settings to each new page because i don't know where the game default settings are. So I want to use this feature that the roll20 team has poured so much time into over the years and makes my game pop...but i hate fighting with it because of all the other issues listed. Aside from those i just want to be able to feather the edges of the lighting At the end of the day i just want to feel like the tool is working for me , and not that im having to battle it . Cheers
Roy H. said: I have been using roll20 since 2013 and there are a few issues that have been around most of that time. I initially wrote them off as the quirks of a neat startup software that will eventually get ironed out, but here we are almost 10 years later and they're still around, and still bugging me on a weekly basis, so i thought i would toss my hat into the ring in hopes they see the light of day at some point. Token defaults for characters not updating when token attributes are changed: Attach a token as the default to a character, then change the attributes on that token once its on the page. say...its vision radius, whatever stored values you need in the 3 bubbles, the nameplate, etc. Make a new map page, and drag the token out from the journal, none of those new settings have been saved. Why? Maps snapping to 1x1(or close to it) grid cell size even though you're on the map layer: You have a blank page, you select the maps and background layer, you drag a map image onto the page and it snaps down to the smallest possible size for its ratio to fit to the grid cells. Again Why? Now i have to resize it by tugging it around before I can even think about using the resize tool which gets you close, but never quite there so you have to tug it around a bit more to line things up, but its snapping, and your map file has a border before the grid starts! Why is the ignore snap feature toggle labeled "is drawing" ? This is just a UI labeling nag that has always bugged me because i have answered the question of "how do i turn off snap for my maps" to dozens of new DMs over the years. It's just unintuitive Selection performance?...detection? . Whichever word you want to use here, the issue is that If you have more than one thing, heaven forbid a scribble with the brush tools, on the same layer they are almost impossible to select. This comes up a lot in minute-to-minute play, and is a huge annoyance because people will cast things like wall spells or maybe there's an environmental effect that needs to be marked out. If you put those marks on the token layer it becomes a pain to select tokens or the notes to remove them. If you put it on the map layer you end up selecting your map itself half the time and nudging it around which breaks the lighting. "But just lock the position of the map" well that doesn't solve the problem because it still thinks you clicked on the map so you get a giant padlock icon on your screen that never fades away instead. Inconsistent click and drag from menus: If you are in the image menu for instance, you can hover over an image, see the triple line hamburger handle show up, then click and hold on that handle and drag the image onto the page no problem. If you click over to the character journals though and try the same procedure, the character token never appears on the page. You have to click on the text of the character's name, then drag it onto the page. Game Default Settings Location: Glad these exist but took me years to find them because there's no way to get to them once you're in the editor. A link to these inside the editor would be great, and the inclusion of voice/video options for them would be even better. We usually decide beforehand if we are going to use discord, skype, slack, etc to manage video and voice so being able to remove that headache for everyone ahead of time would be great Dynamic Lighting: I know this has been iterated on...probably the most out of any feature in roll 20...but still needs some love. Maybe? I put this one last because my headaches with it are largely the items listed above. namely that 1) im constantly having to fuss with token settings for sight because they don't update or save. 2) fighting with just the selection to do things like remove a door from the lighting layer or 3) (hypothetically if im a new user) constantly reapply the settings to each new page because i don't know where the game default settings are. So I want to use this feature that the roll20 team has poured so much time into over the years and makes my game pop...but i hate fighting with it because of all the other issues listed. Aside from those i just want to be able to feather the edges of the lighting At the end of the day i just want to feel like the tool is working for me , and not that im having to battle it . Cheers Regarding Token Defaults: If you drag a "Token" out to the map, it is linked to the Sheet, BUT it is NOT the Sheets "Default Token"! AFTER setting all options you need to Edit the Character Sheet again and set the Token as Default for this Sheet. If you have done that you can drag'n drop it on different maps and it has ALL Options / Modifications you did earlier SAVED to it... Been using this since I started using Roll20... Regarding Selection Performance / Detection: A Layer for drawing would be nice to have and everyone selecting the draw tool would automatically switch to it (or something like it).
TheMarkus1204 said: Regarding Token Defaults: If you drag a "Token" out to the map, it is linked to the Sheet, BUT it is NOT the Sheets "Default Token"! AFTER setting all options you need to Edit the Character Sheet again and set the Token as Default for this Sheet. If you have done that you can drag'n drop it on different maps and it has ALL Options / Modifications you did earlier SAVED to it... Been using this since I started using Roll20... Regarding Selection Performance / Detection: A Layer for drawing would be nice to have and everyone selecting the draw tool would automatically switch to it (or something like it). Yeah i know how to fix/update the tokens, its just an awkward process to have to do. I like the drawing layer or notes layer idea.That and making the lock position feature less obtrusive would be a move in a positive direction.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .