Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 needs to increase storage quota.

Title says it all, roll20 should increase the storage quota. 100mb without paying is very little, especially if you are running a homebrew campaign and/or are playing in multiple games, but even if you aren't you will still hit the cap very quickly. I don't see why 1gb at least is given, as it feels like it should be the standard. Otherwise you either delete things you may not want to or have to make multiple accounts and grant them dm in a game you are running, which is ridiculous.

Edited 1652414338
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Not going to happen.  They can't afford to give out free storage.  They want to you upgrade.  Forgetabboutit.  They are already giving enough free storage.  You want to play, you pay.  They are a business, not a charity
Agreed.  Roll20 has set the quota low on purpose.  Non-paying players do not keep the lights on for Roll20.  I daresay one of the problems for Roll20 is converting enough non-paying players into paying ones to keep the lights on. If 100mb isn't enough, then subscribe. $5 per month shared amongst a group is very little money for what you're likely getting out of the platform.

Edited 1652764212
As much as I understand Roll20 needs to make money, I personaply hate the subscription business model with a passion... I'm a paying customer (almost 200$CAD down the drain so far) and yet I'm stuck on a 100Mb storage limit as if I never purchased anything -.- I honestly believe Roll20 would end up making more sales if they increased the storage for the accounts that have made purchases. Let's say 20$USD? Would be a massive incentive for free users to jump the fence and make a purchase if they got something out of it, IMO. Beside the over-priced and hugely lacking packages. Considering you can't even use the art included in your purchased module to make your own personalized Handouts in the game created with said module, one has to invest allot of time and storage space for a single purchased module. That alone is quite enough to dissuade anyone to spend their money here... With WotC buying Beyond, if they turn it into a VTT for D&D 5E, Roll20 will lose a huge cnunk of the market, unless they can adapt. Personally I like to play other settings than 5E, so I'll keep my account. But as is, there is no incentive for me to keep buying content. Despite switching most of my stuff to low quality images, I'm over 70% still. In any case, I believe the idea has a whole lot of merit. Isn't it why this section of the Forum exist in the first place? o.O 1Gb storage for paying users would be a nice touch.

Edited 1653195612
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You hate subscription model but you probably play each month.  Roll20 wouldn't make more money on you, as the additional purchases from Roll20 required more storage.  So you won't buy.  You want something for nothing.  Sorry, yes you can talk about potential VTT.  Fantasy grounds sucks because of so many tech issues and has major limitations because it's not really tailorable .  Foundry sucks because all API developers want money which you don't see here and I give freely APIs to the Roll30 community, so I can testify to that.  Also Foundry hasn't been adopted by WOTC.  That should give you major pause.  Also Beyond D&D isn't a VTT, so that argument is irrelevant and it's not going to become a VTT.  Completely silly.  Everyone wants a money grab no matter where you look.  So go with $5/month.  The least money grab out there.    Or keep asking for free stuff.. Knock yourself out.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.  
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Victor B. said: as the additional purchases from Roll20 required more storage. I don't believe this is true, I think they store items for sale on Roll20 in a central location and link it to your account / give you permission to see it when you buy it, as if a marketplace seller takes a pack offline for editing it's offline for all purchasers too. Actually, I think it would be a neat idea if marketplace items purchased resulted in an extra x amount of storage for an account, like you get 1 additional megabyte per 4.99 item bought, 5 per 20.99 item bought... probably a huge pain to work that out on the backend but it would be a nice way to reward people who chose to buy from the marketplace instead of the many other places you can buy TTRPG assets.
Victor B. said: You hate subscription model but you probably play each month.  Roll20 wouldn't make more money on you, as the additional purchases from Roll20 required more storage.  So you won't buy.  You want something for nothing.  Sorry, yes you can talk about potential VTT.  Fantasy grounds sucks because of so many tech issues and has major limitations because it's not really tailorable .  Foundry sucks because all API developers want money which you don't see here and I give freely APIs to the Roll30 community, so I can testify to that.  Also Foundry hasn't been adopted by WOTC.  That should give you major pause.  Also Beyond D&D isn't a VTT, so that argument is irrelevant and it's not going to become a VTT.  Completely silly.  Everyone wants a money grab no matter where you look.  So go with $5/month.  The least money grab out there.    Or keep asking for free stuff.. Knock yourself out.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.   Am I glad the "Block" option on Roll20 isn't P2P... -.-
Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 has recently posted / hinted that they are looking into upgrades for Storage sizes on here. They posted saying so in the Pro forum.  I wouldn't be surprised if the revision includes changes for the space of Free and Plus-Pro paid accounts. We'll see.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Actually I like the idea of a free user buying a module and getting extra storage for it.  That's a solid business model.  
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .